13 years of knee pain… where to go next? Help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi there, my names Natalie, let me give you some background first. I am 24 years old and i have been suffering from recurrent dislocation of both of my patella's since i was 12. Each knee has dislocated easily over 50+ times. I had surgery in 2015 on my right knee, (forgive me for my lack of knowledge i was 15 at the time), i believe a reconstruction was done with ligaments to stabilize the patella and my socket was made into a deeper groove?

post op everything was fine, recovery went well. The everyday pain was still there in both knees but i was assured that was pass.

Since then i have been back and forth between my GP and physiotherapy. I do all the exercises get discharged and 3 months later and I am back on the waiting list because of another dislocation. My GP says to take paracetamol and ibuprofen for the pain but after 12 years it doesn't quite have the same affect. They tell me to loose weight, im 16 1/2st and 5ft 6in, i know im over weight but even when im lightly active for short periods of time it causes immense pain and swelling in my knees, diets only seem to take me down to this weight.

I feel like i am stuck in a cycle of seeing my GP and going to Physio and getting nowhere. I am currently back on the wait list for more physio but when i get there i already know the exercises because of how many times ive been.

Would anyone have any advice on where to go next? I feel drained of this holding me back. Any comments/advice would be muchly appreciated 😃

thanks for reading 😃

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

What is so aggravating and worse than serious pain with knee problems are doctors that gaslight their patience by telling them to lose weight will help your knee. Gees the damage is already done to the joint and relief from pain and constant dislocations is serious and needs repair not judgement by doctors. Time to see another doctor if possible. If possible try to keep a daily diary of of PT, pain 1-10 levels and meds taken -time daily. Ibuprofen is not good for the stomach to constantly take and has serious side effects taken constantly which can also be less effective over time same for Tylenol. see side effects ...By keeping a daily diary your struggles cannot be dismissed as easily when everything is included in your recovery diary in black and white and not showing improvement.

It's unfortunate becoming caught in a PT and pain management cycle is not effective if your still in pain and your quality of life has not improved .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.