14 cm fibroid and pregnancy

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi all, i hope to get lots of responses from those who have the same situation like me. i just found out that i have an uterus fibroid that is a size of a grape-fruit. I am 26 year old and I don't have kids yet ( haven't try to conceive at all). My doctor gives me two options: doing NOTHING or do an open surgery where they will try to keep the uterus so that o can have baby later. however, she said there is a risk of removing the uterus with that surgery if the fibroid is too big and too much tissues are removed. Because I still want to have baby later, so I WAS afraid about that risk. NOW, the fibroid cause me to have frequent urination (like every 15-30 mins) back pain, my stomach is so full like i am into 3 month pregnant. Those problem just start recently, been like 3 months. before that i was totally fine, my belly was flat. on the sudden, i have this issue. I JUST want to see if anyone try to get pregnant with a large fibroid and if the baby will be fine???

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

hello

i was in the same situation. Multiple fibroids no kids and risk of removal of uterus if surgical intervention was chosen. also looked 3 months pregnant and frequent urination.

I did go ahead and have an open myomectomy.

Before surgery I was put on GNRH injections that significantly reduced the fibroids prior to surgery.. and also lessened the risk of hysterectomy/ damaging the uterus. I'm glad I did the surgery.

Try to see if you can get the fibroids reduced via the hormone injections prior to surgery.

All the best happy to answer any more questions you may have x

• Posted

May I ask what sizes are your fibroid? i am not sure what is your age but just wanna ask if you have any kids now or have u been trying? thank you very much for your response

• Posted

hi there, I would do the surgery as soon as possible as the Fibroid can get bigger and it will cause more complications. The risks your doctor mentioned do exist however waiting is a greater risk in my opinion. My sister had a myomectomy and now has 2 amazing sons. Hers was a big as yours at the same age. Myomectomies are very common so do not worry. You will be glad to have a better quality of life ones it's removed. All the best. x

• Posted

i know everyone is different, but this is very encourage to hear ❤️ i will see a different dr. soon and will see what is his opinion. I AGREE that the longer i wait the more risk it may become. I can feel it everyday now, it is getting worse especial a week before my period

thank you so much for your response

• Posted

i was recently diagnosed with 13 cm fibroid, ams way older than you, but my doctor told me that with such size no laparoscopy is possible, only open belly surgery when they remove the fibroid and stitch the uterus. for any future pregnancy only C section.

from what I read there is a new selective hormone therapy that targets fibroids only, and such should reduce the size. might be worthy asking your doctor if that would be helpful in your case. for me 3 doctors confirmed surgery as procedure, and I CAN STILL think of having kids. my case was in Poland, so not sure how it differs , but I also checked USA and same story. good luck it really sucks, especially that you are very young. your problem most likely started earlier than 3 month, and you might have not had any symptoms. for me was no symptoms just recently problems with frequent peeing and lower back pain.

• Posted

I was told that there wouldn't be problems getting pregnant but there might be problems later on and I think they said I might need a Caesarian or there could be problems with delivery - I can't quite remember what they said but it is something you could ask. Have you looked into some of the more recent options for treating the fibroid? Such as embolisation? If the fibroid is outside the uterus - and there are different types of fibroids - then embolisation would make the fibroid smaller and perhaps then it would cause less problems - you might not get the frequency of urination for example. Then you would need to ask what your chances are of getting pregnant after it had been embolised and whether these would be reduced by an embolisation, and then make your decision.

• Posted

Are GNRH injections an option for you? it should significantly reduce the size of the fibroids - usually done before surgery.

• Posted

I am 44 no children, i had 25-30 fibriods removed, I had an open myomectomy, i was told of options -of a hysterectomy or an open myomectomy. I went with the myomectomy, they kept my ovaries and stuff . I chose this option , despite my age, maybe I could concieve, however, I am aware that the damage may have already been done. The thing is I am no longer in pain, but since i have had this major surgury back in february, my periods are heavy and i feel i have to let body heal on its own

• Posted

I had an open myomectomy over a year ago. I was told i had 4 fibroids one as big as a cantaloupe i also had to go to the restroom frequently hadd back pain horrible cramps, leg cramps. I would say get a second opinion. I aslo was told i should think of having kids before and was pressured in getting a hysterectomy. I asked to speak to another doctor we agreed on laparoscopic procedure but if they could reach them they would do open myomectomy . But she didn't even tried the laparoscopic😤😡😠🤬 had the nerve to tell me me there was more then 4. I don't care we agreed that she would try but doctors also try to go the easy route. Make things clear and get it in writing i don't trust these doctors. After my surgery my stomach is huge i look 3 months pregnant. It's hard to tuck it in. I don't even wont to wear tight dresses use to wear short tops but with this stomach 😤🤧😡😠🤬. Also ask about what can you use or do while your healing so you don't get a hideous scar. Yep got that too. I guess at the end i don't regret it because these fibroids were getting angry like they knew i was going to get rid of them. I would get these horrible cramps with cold sweats and thick blood cloths one time 4 thick ones came out back to back. I asked my doctor while i under she said no so i guess make that clear to your doctor. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Thao. Im Ngoc. how are you now? I iust had my open myomectomy 2 weeks ago and hoping to get pregnant soon also.

• Posted

To my understanding the problem is not severe. I believe your baby will be fine. Its risky to have surgery while the baby is growing inside you, but i do believe you will need surgery at some point.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.