14 sleeps

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi all you lovely people

its 14 sleeps until my surgery and I have been wracking my brain regarding seating, we only have big squishy sofas, I have a carver chair that we bought extra seat pads for but I looked at it last night and just could'nt face using it for 6 weeks so.... I bought myself a leather recliner with cup holders smile

they call it a cinema chair? what are your thoughts on reclining chairs?

Big hugs to all

Kim xxx

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I absolutely loved mine - I built a six inch base to stand it on (it has to be secure, you don't want it collapsing) before I went in for my op.  There are pictures of it on my website in the 'Home Preparation' chapter.

The address of the website is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and on the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

I also used a lovely softly padded cane chair in the conservatory so I could have a change of scenery and position.  It was very soft on my scar area.

Best wishes

Graham - ????

• Posted

Hi all new hippies,

When I got home from hospital i had a good solid chair with arms we brrowed from a friend ,as mine was due to acc,   I new nothing about these things,The O T called to see what we had to use and a van came the next day with comode, bed pillow raiser and the aid arm to help getting out of bed,we raised the bed legs with 3" piece of timber that was perfect for me ,and a recliner which raises to the standing position ,you littlery sit back and it lowers you down to the height you are comfortable at and it raises the leg suport section for you.Now the hip is painfull,at times then add 6fractured ribs and lumber 1 and 2 ,the need for some,comfy spot is very high on the listand i still use it post  7 mts and still healing.God Bless with the new hope.

• Posted

Kim, I too have been told no recliners, as some of them have bucket seats and so not let you sit in the best position. I borrowed a hight seat chair from a friend as my sofa was not quite tall enough. Please seek advice from the hospital before you use.
  • Posted

My understanding is as long as the recliner is high enough when sitting ( arms are a bonus . Try not to lean too far back when reclining , but fine to lift your legs up , and far more comfortable than trying to manage with a stool PamĀ 
  • Posted

Hi Kim, 

I'm in the UK and have used a recliner since day 1. My physio pre op just told me to measure from my knee to my foot (which was 18 inches) and then measure the seat to floor of the recliner. That was 18 inches so all ok. If not you can add a piece of foam to increase the height. Just be careful of your 90 degree restrictions. No matter where I am sat I always extend the   leg on my operated out to help with this. 

Also, I sleep in my recliner....I have real trouble sleeping on my back and cannot tolerate my sides yet even at 7 weeks. 

Hope everything goes ok. If you want I can send you a photo of my chair. Happy to do that if it helps ??

Jacqui

• Posted

Hi  Jacqui

Thanks for that, I was begining to think i had wasted my money,

we only have squashy sofas so i had to get a chair, I did'nt want an "old lady" chair as it would'nt go with the rest of the decor, I'm trying to sleep on my back to get used to it but OMG do I snore smile my poor hubby

Hugs

Kim x

• Posted

I also used my recliner when I got fidgety in bed to allow my poor wife to get some sleep.  As long as you don't have to bend too much, it's fine. the only problem with using a cushion is that it does not raise the arms, building a base to go underneath it gave me higher arms too to help with getting in and out without breaking the 90 degree rule.

Graham

• Posted

I have been using a recliner since Day One and it has been wonderful.  And mine is one where you manually change positions.  I was able to use my non-surgical leg to push it down and that worked fine.  I put a 4"cushion on it so the height was good.  It's smaller than most recliners (I would send a picture if I had a teenager in the house!  LOL).  I can recline a little.  Recline a lot.  For me it has been great.  Just keep in mind all those hip precautions and make sure you can follow them while you're getting in and out.  

• Posted

Hi Leslie, I have a spare teenager if you'd like one? Your

choices are twin 16 year old boys (6ft plus, so handy

for high places)

17 year girl (total diva but I love her)

• Posted

Very good to hear all this

I am day 5 post op

I came home and i have been sitting on couch with pillows piked and using bar stool chairs in kitchen and my dining room chairs

Plus i sleep in our bedroom each nite

I have hubby and dogs out for awhile its mine

I guess do what drs tell u

Grest info here

Happy sunday hippie club

• Posted

I'm 5 weeks post op, and started working from home during week 2. I lived in the recliner, as it was a way to keep my feet elevated so as to keep the swelling down. It was a manual recliner, and I didn't break the 90 degree rule. The chair was nice and high, big armrests and very comfortable. A couple of tough nights sleeping on my back, I ended up sleeping several hours in the chair. I've never heard anything about avoiding these types of chairs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.