14 weeks - 20mg Fluoxetine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am after a little advise please.  I have been taking Fluoxetine for 14 weeks for anxiety.  Weeks 1-3 were awful, increased anxiety, no appetite, low, no motivation.  Weeks 4-6, felt 50% better with steady improvement.  Week 6 had a blip for a couple of days but generally still at 50-60% better than before.  This continued till Xmas, where it was a bit of a roller coaster over the two week break, bad days and good days. Then started to feel better around week 10-11,  I had the best two weeks, felt  about 70-80% better, could deal with anxiety when it popped up, really thought I was on my way to recovery.  But for the last week I've felt awful again, not back to square one but nowhere near as well as before.  Do you think this is a big blip or should I increase my dose?  I am petrified of getting side effects again, hence why I haven't increased up till now.  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Milliemoo

What you're experiencing is quite normal with recovery.  You'll feel great, then low, then great, then low ........ sometimes it'll last a few days, sometimes weeks, sometimes low and sometimes really low.

Id keep on as you are - these meds take a long time before you feel really settled.  Your body is getting used to them and recovering still.  It took my son a good 8 months before he fully recovered and along the way he was up and down.  Try and enjoy the ups and make the most of them, and when you hit a low just try and accept it and remind yourself it's part of the healing process.

If one day you do decide to increase however, if you do it very, very gradually it will lessen the side effects.  I'm sure you won't need to ....... best try one dose for a long time first.

K x

• Posted

I'm with you. 20mg also and was expecting some kind of relief. Seems to have gotten worse than when I went to my psychiatrist to begin with. I was supposed to go up to 40mg but immediately was in bad shape with that so have stayed on the 20. I did find relief after taking a 1 mg klonopin that I use for sleep. I'm honestly not sure what to do. Thinking everything like Interactions or just not a med for me. I was previously on Celexa.
  • Posted

Don't feel bad I been on 10mg and I have ups and downs but I know it works because I couldn't even leave my home and I do and I go shopping which I couldn't. I am thinking about trying 20mg because I still get panic attacks which I hate. I also found a awesome book that has a community like this on Facebook and they all are going through what we are. The book is called dare response and the web on Facebook is called dare community. I hope this helps good luck and give this pill time to work its the best with least side effects.
    • Posted

Going to give it more time and increase the dose per Dr's request to 40mg and my advocate, spouse, and see how that goes. Prayers to you and this group coming daily from me . I'll report back for an update.
  • Posted

Thanks for your replies, well worth got over that 'blip' had an amazing 10 days best I felt for at least a year now back in another blip, anxiety awful the last couple of day. It seem I have one good week then one bad week, just want some consistency!!!

3oreelect did you increase? How did you get on??

• Posted

I'm on day 42. As you said, ups and downs. Still on the 20mg and not the 40/my physiatrist prescribed. Working on getting my sleep, gym daily and stressors. Lack of sleep gives me a back step not being able to shut down my mind due to stress. Prayers to you daily. Thanks for your reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.