14 weeks after exposure still with HIV symptoms

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello

I had a one night stand in my hotel room with a CSW while in Africa for vacation. I was so drunk that when the condom failed I didn't notice it. Upon arriving back in Europe I started having all possible symptoms related to HIV

Headaches

Sore throat

Night sweats

Extreme dry skin

Muscle twitching

Muscle and joint paints

Stomach makes noise all the time

Lost 14kg

Bumps on back of the tongue.

Initially I did a Duo test after 2 weeks of exposure. It came out negative. I did a rapid antibody test at 87 days it came out negative. I went to my GP and did a CBC afterwards. Everything completely Ok. I'm still very sick with symptoms everyday such as fatigue, muscle twitching, headaches and the stomach cramps. I'm completely lost. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm tired of running from one doctor to another. Could I have gotten a rare Hiv subtype which the test can't detect? I just want a diagnosis and start treatment no matter the cause. I know I have f*cked up my life. I just feel as killing myself. Can anyone give me some advice?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Similar story for me in Gambia. Exactly the same symptoms but with mouth ulcers. All negative for HIV 3 years on. Checked for CMV the egg titre was 200 anything over 6 is positive. I suggest you get that checked.
    • Posted

It's all I have to hold onto. I probably would not have been so worried but my CD4 ratio has gone from 1.4 to 0.74. apparently CMV infection can do this and have the same symptoms as primary HIV Infection. Have you had your CD4 CD8 ratio checked? Possibly like your self, as the exposure was in Africa I was worried about an atypical HIV strain not detected by tests. My exposure apparently wasn't even an exposure - I  received unprotected oral sex. BTW this is not worth killing yourself over. I tried and failed royally messing my self up. Hang on in there. You will get over this. I did.

• Posted

Hi Martin. How are you doing? The s**t is real. I have tested now up to 17 weeks with a Duo. Results negative. Do you think this is a new virus in Africa? If so my days are counted. My health is declining although I'm not more anxious. I wish I never took that trip. This shouldn't be happening. I'm a living corpse.

• Posted

Hi Ricky. I'm not doing too bad. Symptoms at present are:

Tinnitus

lower left iliac fossa burning. This I have found out is brought on by eating bread.

burning at top of spine - I had this four weeks post exposure

Fungal infection on chest

Most other symptoms have subside, if it wasn't for my inverted CD4/CD8 ratio I would let it go

However that and the fact my girlfriend is tired all the time and also has fungal infections I can't let it go. Also I am in contact with the prostitute that infected me and she just complained of a 3 day headache. BTW she tested negative 6 weeks after my exposure with her. Is it a new HIV variant ? - I don't know but I'm not ruling it out. Did you test for CMV? Would be good to do sooner rather than latter to see if it is a recent or established infection. igg or img. You won't get to know this valuable information if you leave testing too late. The test is £69 on line. 

• Posted

Ohh thats Good news that you are feeling fine. Did you get any treatment for the cmv? If so what antiviral? I'll go get tested for that Monday. Just that I read cmv is asymptomatic for healthy individuals. It becomes only symptomatic with HIV. Or am I wrong?

• Posted

Hi Ricky

I had no treatment Whatever this is I am sure my girlfriend has it too. She caught it a year after me, from me and her symptoms match chronologically. She now has a chronic stiff/sore neck just as I had when I was 2 years in as she is now. When do you get your CMV results? 

• Posted

From all I have read the HIV testing is pretty accurate. Many doctors consider the test (gen  iv) to be conclusive at 90 days.

Speaking from someone in your situation before, a lot of your symptom sound like anxiety symptoms. My advice would be to re-test from blood drawn from a vein and do the antibody / antigen test. Trust the results and perhaps it puts you at ease. There are other panel tests you can take as well.

Also hang in there man. You will likely be okay (based on stats) and suicide is not an answer... what if you are actually healthy? Perhaps talk to you doctor about a counselor as well. They help...

CMV is very common as about 50% of adults have it by 40. Most of the time symptoms are not noticible. 

I would test for HIV 1 and 2, Hep, Herpes 2, gonorrhea, chlamydia and syphilis as a start. 

• Posted

keep testing bro and as I see and if your test results are true  .. you have no HIV 
  • Posted

hi ricky

im haviing same problems ,tested negative at 4 months , what is your status now? have you figured out the reason behind all yr symptom? have you been feeling any better? thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.