14 weeks post op & still sore/limping

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm 14 weeks post hallux valgus /hammertoe surgery & still struggling to walk normally !! Have stiffness & soreness at ball of foot , wake up like this every morning. I was hoping to be pain free & walking by now at least 1st thing in the day !! While I'm delighted for those of you who had quick easy recovery I'm starting to wonder if I'm just unlucky to be taking this long ! Am having physiotherapy & it's helping albeit slowly & expensively !!! Am starting to think I'll never walk properly again !! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne

So sorry to hear you are having pain still, I think you are very unlucky to have so much discomfort in the ball of your foot, there may be many who are regretting the procedure but it will improve. Have you tried orthotics ? has your surgeon or physio recommended that you try them. My surgeon has said that bunions can be a result of low arches/flat feet and gave me 3/4 slimflex orthotics, I have since bought others via Amazon that have a gel heel, they may not be the answer but it just may be worth a try. My chap said if I didn't wear them the bunion may grow back, I am not going through all of this to have it back again! My procedure was 12th Dec last year and I have a sort of sciatic pain down my leg but of course, we are all walking differently now we have had the surgery so have to readjust our gait and that may mean using orthotics. Just a thought, wishing you better soon.

• Posted

It may be that things are just taking a while longer to heal. Do you have another appointment with your consultant?

Regarding the use of orthotics, it is true that you have an increased chance of developing bunions if you have flat feet and flexible ligaments. I have worn orthotics for the last couple of years due to flat feet and found that I was waking quite poorly for a number of weeks after wearing' ordinary shoes' following bilateral bunion surgery in October 2014. I found that I was having lower back pain. I asked my surgeon if I should start wearing my orthotics again and he said not to. I could wear ones that can be purchased over the counter such as orthoheels but not custom made ones yet. I go back in April

and expect that this might change. My advice is to speak to your surgeon before starting to wear orthotics. Might be right but as has been said you don't want to undo all of the hard work. Good luck

• Posted

Hello Anne, sorry you are still having trouble. I'm still at that stage at 11 weeks. I think everyone is different as no two surgeries are the same as proven by the differing recovery rates. How can some be wearing normal footwear and back to work painfree at 4/5 weeks when you and I are still suffering?

My big toe was broken in two places and put back toget her with 2 screws and a staple and who knows how they reduce the bunion joint! The amount of swelling also dictates how much movement you have in the first 6 weeks in the walking boot, I had virtually none but was expected to get into a trainer and heel, toe walk as soon as it came off. Still not getting into trainers yet.

Hoping for better advice at my clinic appt next week with the surgeon.

Hang in there seems to be the general advice from others, and be patient.

• Posted

Hi Anne,

So sorry to know you are still having problem at the ball of your foot. I suggest you better make a call to your surgeon to check what is happening. I have had same procedure as yours, as for me I was using croc shoe to work after 12 weekspost operation without much pain. Of course the swelling was still there as I need to do bench work.I did on my own for physiotherapy..follow on youtube. Less hastle for me. So far its already one and a half year and I am satisfied with what I have done.

Be strong Anne and you will be better.

Siti

• Posted

Hi, thanks to all for your support !! Some good news at last, after 16 long weeks ! My experience up to now made me regret the whole process ! Though I'm still limping a little I can finally say I feel I'm on road to recovery ! Swelling still there, sometimes without even doing anything, very perplexing but that awful stiffness & soreness gone !!  Still in trainers a size bigger & wide fit but...........feel  I'm finally regaining control of my life . I tried everything from soaking in Epsom salts , ice packs, alternating between cold & hot water, poultices, laser therapy& physio ! Guess it finally comes down to time !! That's easily said of course but not as easy when ur in pain, restricted & just fed up with it all !!  So hang in there, it really does get better !!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.