14 weeks post TKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 14 weeks post TKR, I know everyone's recovery is different , I would be interested to know where every one was at this stage. I had a manipulation 2 weeks ago which has set me back, I'm still not driving as the physio said my muscles are not strong enough yet, I have physio and hydro every week, I'm trying to walk without crutches but find I'm limping even though it didn't hurt or anything to walk , I think I'm nervous walking as my knee has given way a few times. They got my bend 130 during manipulation but I can only get just over 90 , and 0 straight. The tightness is still bad , I'm not back at work either. Does the tightness go? X

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

"I would be interested to know where every one was at this stage."  The answer is "all over the map".  There is no "normal" and for people who have had MUA's it's a whole different ball game.  Are you starting back from the beginning?  Did the MUA provide a shortcut to recovery?  No one, not even the doc, can know.  You just get back on the path and start working again.  PS: "Tightness" is a gradually decreasing thing that can last 12-18 months.  Even after that, inactivity can bring it back.  This is a lifelong recovery.  Give it time, do the work, be patient.  You will dance at your one-year anniversary party!!!

• Posted

Hi Natalie043,

I am 19 weeks post op and things are still not great.....I still need to walk with a stick or one crutch but that is due to pain. I have a lot of pain at night too but because I can't manage any lateral movement of the knee when turning in bed. My bend is not so bad but I can't manage to get in the over tub shower without pain. Getting in and out of a car (left side/left knee as a passenger) is too painful if knee gets stuck but I am constantly told this is normal part of my recovery and I need to keep up the PT and rest/ice and be patient. TBH I am still in more pain than before the surgery and wished I'd never had it done at this stage but hopefully my mind will be changed in due course. I don't have much swelling any more and the tight band feeling just beow the knee has dimished. I quess we just need to keep at it and hope this doesn't disappoint as I am much further down the line than you.....though I didn't need to have any manipulation - so hopefully that will speed things up a bit but the PT will still be painful, best to take some meds 1/2 hour before! Wishing you well.....

• Posted

I have the same problem turning in bed , it is quiet painful, I am also the same getting into the bath and car, mine is my left knee , I just need to be patient 😁

• Posted

Ahhhhhh....patience.  Time, work and patience...the BIG THREE.  Deep breath every time you feel like you "should" be doing better...faster...stronger.  It all comes in time, with the work so have patience.  See how the BIG THREE dominate everything?  We've all gone through it or are going through it now.  Calm your spirit...find the strength inside of you to get past these challenges.  You know you will...just walk your path and let it happen...

• Posted

I'm sorry to say the lovely Chico is right.....mine is left knee and Ihad expected to be further down the line by now but it is what it is....did you have the manipulation because of scar tissue building up...I'm lucky not to have needed that - and hopefully I wont.....we just need to slog away at it Natalie....keep me up to day with your progress....sleep well....Zzzzzzz

• Posted

Unfortunately I didn't get off to a good start , physio in hospital was walk me to the door with a frame then sit me in a chair with my leg straight on a stool, that was for a good 5 days so when it came to leaving hospital I could only bend it about 40 degrees and that's where it stayed until I had the manipulation. You are right it is a slog haha but this forum is great knowing we are not alone .. good luck to you too xx

• Posted

Wow - my physios were very fierce...too hard in fact - until I insisted on a leg lifter ( you know that animated dog lead type gadget) couldn't have managed without that! I didn't have PT straight after as went to recuperate at my sisters for 6 weeks - thank goodness - as couldn't have managed at home on my own tbh.....BUT I did my physio at home 3 times a day - until I re-read the instructions to be 3 times a week....ha ! No wonder it was painful and reduced me to tears often....but don't know how far I would be without doing that...as Chico says it's one of the main 3....oh and ice, though didn't use that very often but I am now since hospital gave me a huge iced knee brace you keep in the 'fridge ( called a cryo cuff ) but without the gadget to fill it up - so if anyone else is offered one, make sure they fill it before you take it home or it wont work...far better than leaky old frozen peas.....lol x ANd yes - judging frm the forum discussion - we are not alone.....x

• Posted

I had a total knee replacement in January 2018 I'm interested in what that manipulation was that you had 2 weeks ago

• Posted

I couldn't bend my knee much, manipulation was done under General anaesthetic, they bend the knee while you are.asleep

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.