14 yo Daughter Fib Tib Fracture and ORIF Surgery Recovery Time

Posted , 4 users are following.

14 year old, almost 15 yo, daugther broke her fibula and tibula at ankle playing volleyball.  had surgery with screws and plate for days later.  Has had almost no pain from either break or surgery, now three weeks later.  In cast for three more weeks.  She's very healthy otherwise, no complications.  Can move her toes and ankle with no pain now.  Are those all good sign for "quick" recovery?  What are we looking at?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Megan!

I think that it's a very good sign.  I shattered my tibula, fibula and ankle when I was 20 years old. It took me two years to recover. 

When you're young and healthy, it's too your advantage. Just make sure she takes it easy. 

• Posted

Yikes. I'm sorry you went through that.  It's definitely a little scary to hear that. I was hoping for more like 6 months. It was a fairly clean break but a couple of fragments.  I just hear such a wide spectrum of recovery times.  

• Posted

Hi Megan!

I didn't mean to imply it would take your daughter that long to heal. It's sounds like she's practically healed already. My injury was a high velocity injury. That's why it took much longer to heal. And since it was a clean break, it's that much better for her. 

Don't worry, kids are resilient. 

• Posted

I broke my tibia, fibula, and talus six months ago I am now six months post op with 16 screws and a plate. Like your daughter my recovery has been pretty pain free. It still takes time, it's a long recovery process. Six months later I am walking fairly normal, but my ankle does not feel like it did before. Your daughter has youth on her side, just listen to her physical therapist and just give it time. She will probably graduate to a boot for 4 weeks after the cast comes off, at that time she will begin to weight bear. 

Good luck, sounds like she's doing great!

• Posted

Good to hear that you have been relatively pain free!  Thank you for responding.  She has fewer screws; maybe the talus wasn't involved?  She's very healthy and incredibly motivated.  That does sound like her plan . . . she gets the cast off in about 3 weeks.  She will have been non-weight bearing for six weeks.  Then boot for 4.  She is hoping to be playing sports again sometime in the summer.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed, becuase her teams mean the world to her, but I also know she shouldn't stress it prematurely.

• Posted

Your daughter's age and activity pre injury point to a good and speedy recovery.Make sure when she goes to physical therapy she has a sports medicine therapist. They will strengthen her and get her back to doing what she loves. I had my surgery and injury 6 weeks ago. I'm now partial weight bearing with boot on. They said I should be walking normally in 5 more weeks. And I'm 63, but in good shape before the injury-I broke my ankle slipping on ice while doing my daily 2 miles with my dog. Keep us posted.

• Posted

We live in the icy part of the world too.  So aggravating!  Glad you are healing well.  Thank you for responding.  It's helpful to hear the different range of experiences.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.