14 yr old daughter sick.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. My daughter has been sick for 6 weeks. She's pale, has great fatigue, dizziness, headaches, and her hair is falling out. Most her labs have been normal except her ferritin is 9.5. She also had a positive ANA so an autoimmune disease is possible. I was hoping iron would help her and be the problem. Her PCP put her on a iron supplement but after 8 days the only thing new is she is nauseous. No improvement in her at all. Anybody have any insight?  Is 9.5 low enough to cause these problems?  She sees a Rheumatologist in a couple days because of that ANA. Wish she was seeing a Hematologist but I'm sure the Rheumy will order a ton more labs. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks Jessyh. I don't feel like a good father. Just the opposite that I haven't forced  taught my kids a healthier lifestyle which I think the cause of all this. 

I bought the cast iron skillet and I've been cooking in that. I didn't know that about eggs. I thought the opposite about them actually. Spirulina I'm going to have to try in a smoothy or something.  Even sick, teens aren't easy to force feed healthy food. 

• Posted

Hi, about Iron in food, there are two types of Iron, Heme Iron, and Non Heme Iron, Heme iron is in meat and fish it is easily absorbed, non heme iron is in plant source foods veges etc and is not easily absorbed, I think the highest source of Iron is in liver, chicken liver etc.
    • Posted

Don't put yourself down, we're all doing the best we can with what we have. You really care about her or you wouldn't be on this board. If you go for spirulina powder, I found it mixes best with peach juice, you can't really taste it then. Apple juice also good. If she still won't go for it then there are also tablets. She'll need to take quite a lot of them though. True about iron being more easily absorbed from animal sources, seafood is really good, particularly cockles! Rabbit is also high in iron. But greens are really important for overall health too and spirulina contains all kinds of health giving properties.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.