140/80

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I’m a 35 year old male... I checked my BP yesterday and today at my home OmronWellness BP monitor and the readings are 140/80. Last week I went to my doctor to check my BP and he said it’s normal... I know my readings are high and I’m so stressed out of it... Any advise? Any suggestions? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If your doctor says your BP is normal, why are you worried?

If you get obsessed about your BP, and obsessive about taking it, you'll get higher readings...

• Posted

What time of day did you take it and did you only take one reading ? Take three readings over a ten minute period without looking at its screen and either average them or accept the lowest. 

Had you relaxed for ten minutes before taking it and had you had any caffeine or smoked in the previous hour.

• Posted

Take a look at what your eating, are you drinking enough water? Mine was high because of dehydration and smoking. You may want to try drinking two 16 oz bottles of water one after the other and see how your bp is about 30 minutes later after emptying your bladder. My real bp is 128/82 so I've finally said "f**k it" and got on a low 2.5 mg dose of lisinopril to be at a reasonable measurement, but that's something you have to decide. Another thing is that if your doctor isn't listening to your concerns the you might want to change doctors. Also, make sure your arm is propped up so your elbow is at heart level, your head is resting on or against something and your back is supported and try to be as relaxed as possible. Your readings will most likely be better that way.. 140/80 isn't terrible 140 should be at least around 130 but 80 is not that bad. I've been told that the diastolic is more important than the systolic because that's when the heart is at rest out of the two beats. Don't get me wrong, 140 isn't bad but you can't let that stay because eventually it could (could, but not always) lead to problems in the long run. Hopefully this helps. Let me know

• Posted

Also, do you exercise? If not, start doing it slowly and stay hydrated. A friend of mine who is a smoker started at a gym after probably decades of not exercising and had a slight heart attack from a blood clot. So, aways know your limits.
  • Posted

Taking your own BP is a good idea as it partially removes 'white-coat syndrome'. However there are a number of things you MUST do to ensure the accuracy of your own readings. First off take your BP device to your GP and use it in the surgery whilst he holds his stethoscope over the artery. This help figure out if your device is correctly calibrated. If you need more just ask!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.