14weeks and just had a fall

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello All

I was doing well up until now, just been to the pool for my exercises. Thought i would get a bit of shopping. Was crossing the road using a stick when my knee gave way and I fell back onto my bum and hip. I think I instinctivly tried to protect my knee and it actually felt better after my fall but I am scared now that i will feel it later. My hip is sore but not enough for a break i think. This is not the first time my knee has given way. When will it be reliable??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

thank heavens there were no cars zooming towards you!  I think if the hip were broken, you would not have been able to get back up . . . hope you aren't too sore tomorrow!

• Posted

Oh dear that sounds nasty. Thankfully you weren't badly hurt. Hope you'll not feel too sore tomorrow! 😉
  • Posted

I guess this is after a knee replacement? It takes quite a while because you have to get a certain amount of bend in the knee but also you need to be able to straighten the knee so it does not give way.

I had a knee replacement nearly 3 years ago and I would say it takes about a year until it really feels secure again.Sorry if this sounds a long time but it is better to know the truth then you know what to expect.

Take care

Sarah

• Posted

Oh my goodness. That is scary and I'm sure it shook you up a bit. I don't remember feeling too wobbly at 14 weeks, but we are all different. I'm thinking it's more the muscles that give out, but don't quote me on that. As the muscles get strengthened in their new position, it will help stableize you. I'm sure the time in the pool will be good for that. Is it possible that your muscles were tired after their work out? Maybe giving them a rest afterward would help prevent this in the future. I hope additional pain isn't going to be a problem. I would say extra ice...on your hip too.
  • Posted

Hi Sally, sorry to hear about your fall. As long as you keep doing the exercises at the pool things should continue to improve. Have a nice hot bath before going to bed with some bath oil such as lavender and this should help you relax. You also need relaxation as well as exercise.  Take it easy and try not to worry to much.smile
  • Posted

Poor you! That is the one think that frightens me and because off  that I am not quite as confident as I feel I should be. I used to fall over sometimes before I had my knee done and was not too worried, few scrapes and bruises, but I am terrified of doing something to my new knee. I don't feel that my knee would give way, I have not felt that yet? I was hoping that my muscles are strong and hold it? My consultant also said my leg was very straight and I do practice standing on one leg? Hope you do not suffer any side effects. 
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for your replies and kind words. I am feeling a little better now snd I will see how I am tomorrow. What was funny was my children's reactions. They both messaged me to say why was I out?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.