15 day Progress update

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello folks. Just thought I would post a 15 day update.

Had staples removed yesterday, another milestone. It wasn't real painful having them removed but I did feel every one of them none the less. Getting comfortable and getting a good nights sleep is still the worst. Still cant sleep more than about 90 min max without getting up in pain. I'm on Percocet which helps but doesn't manage the pain as well as I hoped. Tried some melatonin last night for sleep.  The doc gave me some sleeping pills yesterday but thought I would try this first. During the night I woke up just as often but I got back to sleep much quicker so overall a much better nights sleep.

Has Anyone else tried melatonin before? Maybe tonight I will give the sleeping pills a try.

Oh I did ask 2 diff pharmacists and the doc about taking nytol to help sleep.

Each said there was no issue when taken with Percocet. Not sure about other meds though.

As far as my knee goes, there are definite improvements but it is still stiff, stiff, stiff and 

painful. Been doing exercises 3x a day and always icing right afterwards. Also still very swollen. I am typically not easily discouraged but man, this is draining.

If I come across any miraculous shortcuts or anything to help sleep, ease the pain or bring comfort in any way I will be sure to pass it on.

Until next time. God bless

3 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi 

sleep is still a problem for me 16 weeks on from TKR I never sleep for more than 90 mins

i heard about the Nytol and I will try it when this dreadful snow and ice has disappeared and I can get to the shops.

I haven't heard of the other medication you mentioned. Maybe we don't use it here in the UK

good luck and I hope in  2015  you'll be running around on your new knee 

Jean 

• Posted

Hi Jean,

We buy melatonin here over the counter as your body produces it naturally. Odd how these things are handled so diff by other countries.

the sleeping pill the doc prescribed for me was Zopiclone. Wanted to try the more natural route first. Might try it over the next couple days and will post the results for folks. Again, I'm told there are no issues when taken with Percocet but have no idea about other meds. 

This sleep issue sure is a toughie but we will get through it!

heres to some happy zzzzzzzz's smile

• Posted

Thanks so much for the zzzzzzzz s I will take them to bed with me tonight along with my pain meds / hot chocolate / and a good book for when I can't sleep ...biggrin

Jean 

• Posted

I am at 4 and a half weeks and for me sleeping still the worst part , I am using Melatonin every 3-4 nights to make sure I get a good sleep and it works for me. Having the staples removed will help too, keep pushing yourself with your exercises and you will see improvements each day. I walked a mile two days ago unaided and felt so good being able to do it. 

Good luck to you 

• Posted

Wow, that's fantastc man! Keep it up.

i'm looking forward to when I feel comfortable enough to walk to the corner store and back with no aids. Just a few hundred yars but we have tons of snow and ice here which doesnt help.

glad you found some help with sleep. Thats a biggie with this op.

keep up the good work!

• Posted

Hi Peter,

I have tried melotonin, apparently you can't buy it in UK, I bought mine here in Spain.

It does help you sleep, as it is natural, I'm pretty sure our body naturaly makes melotonin, something to do with sleep pattern.When our friends used to go on long haul flights, they took it as they said it got them over jet lag.

• Posted

Hi Lynn 

i just looked it up online 

prescription  only here in the UK 

such a shame 

Jean 

• Posted

Yes thats correct, our bodies produce it naturally when its time to sleep.

if taken incorrectly (by that I mean sort of sparatically at all different times of the day) it can mess up our systems clock and cause depression and such. When taken correctly though there should be no problem.

we buy it over the counter here in Ontario, Canada. It's very peculiar hows meds are handled so differently in diff countries.

• Posted

Hello Peter

i am at 21 days and i am still struggling to get about. The nights are always the worst however i cant seem to find a comfortable sitting position in my lounge and am constantly having to move. My leg gets stiff at the drop of a hat no matter how well i have done with my exercises. It is such a journey. It does get on top of me sometimes. The meds that allow me to get some sleeep are Oxycodone short tec. More of a pass out than sleep so i use them very spareingly.

• Posted

Hi Sally,

thats exactly how I feel here. Oxycodone is what I'm taking as well. The way I understand it is that the TEC is the manufacturers stamp for their brand of Percocet.

I take 1 every 3 hrs. Will take 2 before going to physio tomorrow.

How is the swelling on your knee? You can hardly make my knee out at all. Looks like a tight round balloon. How in the world can anyone expect us to bend something like this.

When the swelling goes down I'm sure the stiffness will go and the bend will return.

How we gonna get that swelling down quicker?

You are sooooo right. This is a journey.

Try and have a great day and get some good rest 

• Posted

Peter, after going through my 9 surgeries including 4 complete rehabs I gave tried my best to evaluate the pain at night and the best I have come up with is that as the leg starts relaxing during the sleep the weight pulls down on the nerves and soft tissue causing the pain to reoccur.  All of that has to heal before it stops. My routine was bed, sleep, awake, recliner, ice, more pain meds and 2-3 hours later back to bed for a start over on the routine. Most everyone I know that's been through it seems to have a similar story. It will get better in time. Don't fight it just do whatever it takes to get some rest
    • Posted

OFG

you really have a wonderful way of putting things into perspective

i would never have thought of why the pain is so bad during the night.

but after reading your post it makes perfect sense

Jean 

• Posted

Being awake for hours every night for years gives one a lot of time to think of trivial stuff. Back then I never dreamed of a forum like this where someone else might get some use out of it.
    • Posted

Hi OFG,

I would bet there are huge numbers of people on this forum whom have been helped immeasurably by you over time OFG. I Thank God for folks like you who are so willing to bring comfort to others. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi there oldfatguy. Just wanted to say Happy new year and all the best for 2015
    • Posted

Thanks and same back to you. Looks like winter is about to hit the mid US with freezing rain, sleet and snow so looks like we'll be bundled up and inside for a few days. Spent 4 hrs at a doc in a box walk in clinic with my wife this afternoon as she appeared to be coming down with something. Flu season is rampant in this part of the country, worst hospitals have seen in 50 years. Fortunately for her, no flu but just an upper respiratory infection that should clear up on its own. Guess this will be a good weekend to get the tree down and put away. You take care and hope you are running at full speed soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.