15 days on 20mg and ready to give up.

Posted , 7 users are following.

After two weeks of side effects, daily headaches, terrible fatigue and loss of appetite, I am starting to wonder if this is ever going to work. I may have unrealistic expectations, so I hope some of you can tell me how long it took for you to start feeling a change in low mood and lack of enthusiasm. 

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

please don't give up, I'm on week 8 and seriously never thought I'd say that! I feel much better than I did, I reckon I'm about 75% there, you're doing the most yucky bit right now, sit tight for another couple of weeks and you will hopefully see an improvement xx this site is amazing xx keep talking to us, it's really what kept me going xxxxx
  • Posted

Hi Lee,

2 weeks its def6 not enough time...im on week 5 and am just starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Side effects should lift after 4 weeks roughly.

When do you take them?? I took my first one in the morning and felt truly aweful that day...now i take them at night and have very little side affects other than nausia and no appetite...thats all gone now though...x x

• Posted

Hi Yommymommy, was it around 4 weeks that you got your appetite back? I am not feeling nauseous any more, just have to remind myself to eat. 
    • Posted

Hi lee,

Yeah are 3 to 4 werks...although i still didnt have a great desire to eat...still the same now i almost have to psych myself up to eat...especially in the morning.

• Posted

That sounds about right. I live with my husband and two sons who are always hungry. I get so irritable every time I hear one of them saying how hungry they are. I spend my life feeding teenage boys who have hollow legs, and sectely I wish my appetite would grow and theirs would decrease. Then we would all be happy. smile
  • Posted

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. My doctor has obviously never taken this med as he said 2-3 weeks rolleyes. Today has been a better day, despite being busy and exceedingly hot. Just starting my third week, so will need to be here a while until I feel back on my feet again. I am so glad everyone seems to be doing better, and for being patient with me. Lee 
  • Posted

Week 9 for me and today I feel really light headed, just putting it down to an off day. Glad this med is working for people I know I'm still on the road to recovery as a couple of days ago felt very anxious, it's calming down now but feel a slight fog in the head. Still wondering when is the right time to take the med as was taking it in the evening which was ok but trying to go back to the morning to try and take the edge of the anxiety but took it at two and feeling the dizzyness. Any help will be great fully recieved. Keep going Lee X
    • Posted

Hi Samantha

I always find it better to take in the morning. When I switched from PM to AM, I just done it in the same day. I did get dizzy but this vanished the next day. wishing you a speedy recovery and in the meantime. ...more good days than not so good days!

God bless x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Lorraine, In what way does it make u feel better in the morning. I started taking it in morning to begin with and it made me feel so out of it so week 6 I changed to the evening and this has agreed with me as I found 6/7 in the evening I perked up and was feeling good, so thought I wanted to feel like this in the morning and not foggy. So switched, doctor agreed and said that I know my body. I was gonna switch so I could have a few drinks over the festive period but I'm not sure to mess with ur esp as they say to keep taking it at the same time. Took it at 2 today then had a panic thinking I've messed up as I felt really dizzy, any help and support would be great fully recieved. Was so under the illusion that it was gonna be a quick fix and I've learnt that it's not. Thanks again X
    • Posted

Hi Samantha

If it agrees with you in the pm I wouldn't change It around. I found if I took it at night I was unable to get up the next day!

I think you should still be ok having a couple of drinks over Christmas without causing you any ill affects.

The dizziness is unnerving isn't it. Upon standing I would suffer with this frequently. I'm now tapering off citalopram and getting the tremors and dizziness but....its very mild and I know it will pass.

hope you feel some relief from your Illness and wish you better asap.

God bless xx

• Posted

I hope the effects of tapering off Cit goes for you soon. If you don't mind me asking how long did it take for all the effects to go and make u feel better?! This site gives me hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that I am gonna feel better but it's gonna months rather then weeks. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Hi Sam

unfortunately citalopram didn't work for me completely but did ease some of my symptoms. I have been on it over six months. Don't be put off though as it has worked wonderfully well for others.

I am now on mirtazpine whilst tapering off citalopram. The new drug has worked wonders but i guess it's about compatibility. How have you been feeling generally in yourself? Hopefully citalopram will work its magic for you xxx

• Posted

I've just started my third packet so gonna give it another month, the anxiety and panic did suppress for me then the last few days it's come back not half as bad as the beginning but it's still there a little. Just want to get through a week without worrying about my anxiety. Or any niggle I get thinking the worse. There has been some really good days then it's wam I feel dizzy or foggy. My worry is it isn't working it's moving over to something else with out having the awful side effects like I had with going on Cit. hope ur transition is as smooth as possible xxx
    • Posted

Hi Samantha

on citalopram I had ever side effect going! I was so worried about starting the new one...but it's been fantastic. Zero side effects and felt my normal self two days into taking it. First day I was tired but that was it. See how you go for a while longer but if no change please have a chat with your gp to get a medical viewpoint.

Keep in touch xxx

wishing you better x

• Posted

Hi Samantha, I take my tab in the morning when I have eaten. Do you take 20 mg ? I understand the foggy head feeling, but have not had the dizziness, just fatigue. I can't really advise you on what time to yake it since I have never tried it at night. I hope you start feeling better soon, and stay in touch. Much love, Lee.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.