15 days Post Extraction PAIN!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello! I am going to first thank anyone who is able to assist me in ANY way!

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed Aug 24, 2016. I originally could not have the surgery until the infection that had caused me to go to the dentist in the first place was killed. My dentist gave me Penicillin to take for 7 days and then I came in for the extraction on the 24th. Healing seemed fine, but about 4 days after the surgery I had excruciating pain that did not let me sleep and constantly made me cry because I'm a 22 year old wimp rolleyes. Anywho, I went to the dentist and he put Eugenol on the bottom left extraction site, but he did NOT specifically say I had dry socket, although it seemed like it. He also gave me a syringe to use for cleaning the site of food debris. The pain is only ever on the bottom left side. My upper 2 and bottom right molars have no pain and I can eat on the right side of my mouth fine. It is only the left, where the infection was. It has been 15 days, and I still am popping Tylonol Extra Strength 500 mL DAILY, atleast 3 at a time for the pain. My tongue is no longer pasty and yellow as it was days before, however the extraction site on the left still tastes disgusting and makes my breath smell. It also hurts like hell when I wake up, lay down at night. I have an appointment Monday, but I am really starting to think it is still infected because the site SMELLS and I mean REAKS of sewage, even after I clean or brush my teeth. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds like infection. Plz see your dentist. Taking antibiotics with diflucan will stop the antibotics from causing a yeast infection oral thrush and save the good bacteria in the gut. Taking antibiotics alone will kill all bacteria leaving behind only yeast taking over the gut causing yeast infections and oral thrush.
    • Posted

Thank you for responding! I was also thinking infection because online I kept reading that smell means infection. It also ONLY smells on the side where the infection was (left right) I also think maybe my stitch needs to go? Not sure.
    • Posted

Regardless gargle with salt water and use mouthwash that eliminates bacteria . The stitch does not desolve on it own?
    • Posted

That's why I'm so worried! When I clean out my mouth with the syringe I gargle salt water as well. I mean I gargle atleast 3 times a day if time I do more. So I'm concerned it's an infection. The stitches are dissolvable, but there is one inside my gum that is bothering me when I swallow foods or liquids. My tongue also brushes against it alot which can also be pretty painful....

• Posted

Stick to straws. I had 2 pulled and pain meds helped a lot. Also I was on anti biotics two before and one after. 

Call tomorrow and talk to the nurse express your concerns and set a appt may be the best way to get thru. I am concerned about the pain you describe it can be a infection as well as the other issues you have.

yikes I hate any one messin in my mouth but dentists need to keep us healthy. Sometimes I'd rather shovel out the barn.

• Posted

I agree with everyone else here - it sounds like infection. Go back to your dentist again (or the ER if he won't see you) and in the meantime keep up the salt-water rinses.

The one thing in your post that concerns me the most is the amount of Tylenol you're taking (US generic name acetaminophen or APAP). This stuff isn't the nice, harmless OTC pain-killer it's promoted as. It's very easy to OD on it without meaning to and even the recommended dose can cause irreversible liver damage if taken for too long without a break. They've had a lot of unintentional deaths in the UK from people taking a very small overdose or combining it with something else (usually a cold cure) that contained the same active ingredient without realising it.

For European readers, the generic name over here is paracetamol - I realise generics are usually the same the world over, but this one's an exception. Trade names are Panadol in the UK and Dafalgan in continental Europe.

Wherever you are in the world, please treat this stuff with respect. It doesn't cause unconsciousness in overdose, but it irreversibly damages the liver, causing death in a couple of weeks unless a donor can be found.

• Posted

Thank you for your concern! I have only taken 3 today at 9 am and I didn't take any last night like I bormally do to sleep. It's really not even the pain of the extraction site, it's that suture that hasn't dissolved. It's actually pretty hard now so.. Im worried. It smells and it is always bothering my tongue! And my teeth that were next to the extracted ones are still SO sensitive when they touch one another (top and bottom)

• Posted

Glad to hear you're not overdoing it with the Tylenol! I still think you should see your dentist - or at least a doctor - about the smell and the pain in the socket, just in case it is an infection. It's really not a good idea to be walking around with an infection in your head.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice! I go Monday! So hopefully all goes well
    • Posted

Just in case you guys were wondering, I finally got to look at my mouth back there (well my boyfriend did) and he notice a bone or a tooth, on the side of the gum where one of my wisdom teeth wrre removed. I wish I could upload a picture. Anyway, it's REALLY yellow and I cant brush it because that entire spot hurts sooo bad. Maybe that's what smells??

• Posted

Thank you! Just in case you guys were wondering, I finally got to look at my mouth back there (well my boyfriend did) and he notice a bone or a tooth, on the side of the gum where one of my wisdom teeth wrre removed. I wish I could upload a picture. Anyway, it's REALLY yellow and I cant brush it because that entire spot hurts sooo bad. Maybe that's what smells??

• Posted

Krys, you mustn't even attempt to brush the area! Please go back to your dentist immediately.

• Posted

I have been gently brushing for 2 weeks and have usually gotten a little blood when i finish. I have an appointment at 11 today. I hope I didnt do any damage! I still don't know what it is sad THANK YOU!

• Posted

Sounds like dry socket - i.e. failure of the socket to heal, exposing the bone, which has no inherent protection against infection, unlike superficial tissues. I'm afraid you shouldn't have been brushing it.

I realise this warning is a bit late for you but for anyone else reading this - never brush the area of the socket after an extraction, however gently. It needs to be left to heal naturally.

Your dentist will probably be able to fix the problem with antibiotics, though it might also be necessary to perform a curetage (scraping away) of the dead bone, which is probably what's causing the smell. After this it will heal normally.

Please ask your dentist exactly how to manage the area and follow his instructions carefully. You'll be fine then.

• Posted

THANK YOU LILY! You're amazing, and so attentive! I wish you were my dentist smile I will definitely remember to post what my dentist says after my visit, just in case someone else has a similar problem in the future! Fingers crossed!

• Posted

Thank you for posting the outcome, Krys. As I recall, we've had quite a few similar cases on this site, and I'm sure they'll profit from your experience.

And don't worry if the dentist does have to perform a curetage. I know it sounds a bit horrific but it's done under local and you don't feel a thing. I had to have it done myself 25 years ago - though under completely different circumstances - and everything healed up very quickly afterwards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.