15 Days Sober!!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi All,

Home detox has been done successfully without it being truly horrendous!! I am now finally on Campral although only just started this on Sunday past.

What I am a little concerned about is how terrible I am starting to feel 14 days in, I really haven't felt so bad since starting the detox. Mentally and physchologically I am well in regards to my cravings and triggers to wanting to drink, it's more my physical health I am now concerned about.

Went to doctors today, have a heavy cold, a chest infection and fluid around my knee cap  and wrist which is causing arthritic symptoms and pain. The doctor stated that such pains have possibly always been present it just that my daily alcohol intake has superseded much of the symptoms. In terms of my memory and concentration, I am all over the place. Very forgetful, turning up to appointments on the wrong day or forgetting the times and having to check several times (which doesn't always seem to work either)!!

Is my body just recuperating still, has the Librium worn off and left me with what feels like a battered body? I can sleep for hours, a very new thing for me, and still wake up in the morning feeling like I've been hit by a bus. I currently have much less energy and motivation as I did when drinking.

And then the little voice creeps in!! You didn't feel this bad when you did drink, why are you struggling to manage psychically now?

But no, this won't make me pick up that litre bottle of vodka, not now or ever hopefully!!

Thoughts, advice, criticism all gratefully appreciated and received!!

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

As I said in a post only the other day, alcohol is like an anesthetic, it masks all the other problems.

Your body is now asking you to take care of the other problems, this is a good thing. It wants to put everything right now you are off the alcohol, please work with it.

Librium will have worn off, it is your body recuperating. Seriously, expect all sorts of aches and pains as you come off the alcohol, it takes weeks/months to put your body back right after years off abuse.

Enjoy your new found freedom. Make sure you are taking thiamine for your memory.

• Posted

Thankyou RHGB, sound advice as always!! 👍🏻
    • Posted

Once you've been on the Campral for a good two to three weeks, do come back and say how you feel. This is not to make me feel good, but if it does work, it lets others know that it is worth fighting to get and may work for them too. A hope thing.
    • Posted

The main reason I fought so strongly to get Campral is because it did work for me before, it stopped the pyschological  agitation of fixating on alcohol or when any triggers occurred. Obviously tho, I started drinking again but I still believe Campral to be the best aid if someone is determined and focused enough (which I wasn't previously!!).
    • Posted

I agree with your comments. Campral worked for me, although I did stop and start with it. I know that sounds like a contradiction, but it did give me controlled social drinking. I've had a few binges since I stopped taking it, but I would strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to stop. I think I was lucky as my GP recommended it. However several years later ADS would not prescribe it and said Antabuse was better! Needless to say I had no confidence in them, especially after they'd not heard of naltrexone, nalmefeme or TSM 
  • Posted

Congratulations on 15 days, Vodka! So glad to hear you made it through ok and got started on Campral!

As I recall, Misssy also mentioned memory problems and fatigue, that seems to be part of the routine for a bit. Don't know about the cold and the fluid collecting though. I know that alcohol is a diuretic, perhaps that kept the fluid from building up before? 

I'm sure some others that have been through detox will pop in and lend their experiences. In the meantime, hang in there, be good to yourself and keep on posting!

• Posted

stick with it and your brain will come back to better functioning. It is tough but you are doing really well so far and I hope you have the courage to continue. Everything is happening to your body at once but hang in there and the biochemical changes will alter how you feel about drinking in time. Good Luck you can do it if you try your best.
  • Posted

Hi! So happy for you...

I KNOW it is the chest cold that is bringing you DOWN...your body was beaten by alcohol...and now the cold is making it harder to recover..

Take your medicine and don't let that little voice get to you!  I HOPE Campral works as well for you as it is working for me.

I am going thru h*ll..and I'm not drinking.

I could not tolerate the 2 pills 3x a day...my Dr. said I can take 2 or 1 3 x. 

I have not had any side effects...and I usually do...(Oh yes, I did have gas...alot of it...the first week!)     

• Posted

HI Vodka. How brilliant and YES you are suffering but it does take time and YES it is worth it!! Good advice from others below. I salute you since you are in inspiration to others! Robin
  • Posted

Hi Vodka07

Congratulations with the 15 days AF that's amazing!

I hope you start to feel better soon. Alchohol wouldn't make you feel better, remember the hang overs and feeling of dread?

I hope the Campral works for you. I started to notice a difference in my attitude to Alchohol around day 12.

X

• Posted

Hi vodka07. Well done on 15 days sober. Today is my 12th fingers crossed Doy without Alcohol. So I'm feeling much better than when I last posted 27th May.I have also given Campral another chance-l'm convinced i'ts working for me-but i MUST remember to take them as per instructions. The nice weather helps can get outside and become addicted to gardening & the slugs again-also clothes,makeup etc.anything except sneaking off to buy Alcohol.I don't know how I will feel when something really stressful comes along-always a trigger ! ? I'm just trying to keep safe right now.As each sober day moves forward i hope my willpower & control gets stronger. Still upset about Birthday card but on the other hand it may have made me more  determined to not be in such a horrible state again.RHGB no I did'nt contact  my son-was too embarrassed & ashamed just try not to think about him.Will post soon.Love Susan x
    • Posted

'RHGB no I did'nt contact  my son-was too embarrassed & ashamed just try not to think about him'

My final word, because I know this is sensitive. You could try an olde fashioned letter. I know, terribly passé, but they do work. Anyway, no more, wish you luck.

• Posted

I struggle every day and I hate myself for it. How do you stop hating and despising your self?
    • Posted

Numpty, one way you can start is by watching a video by Claudia Christian. She explains how Alcohol Use Disorder happens and why it's not your fault. Google:

"Claudia shares her journey of overcoming alcoholism"

Then look for the Youtube video of Claudia Christian dated May 31 2016.

• Posted

Hello Numpty,

Many of us are struggling, too.  We also hate it.

I, for one, am truly sick of myself and my weakness.

There is no easy answer.  We try to support each other.  We are in similar boats... feel like we are sinking... then... calmer waters come along again.

It will never be plain sailing.

Try to understand yourself and Alcohol Use Disorder.

Blessings,

Alonangel 🎇

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.