15 month anniversary of bilateral pkr

Posted , 7 users are following.

Checking in to give encouragement! Yesterday i walked for 6.5 miles-nonstop. Did over 8 all totalled by end of day and i can still move today! My left knee still gets a little grumbly (i had to have an arthroscopy 4mo after for a bone spur doc missed in surgery) but the pain doesnt ever get worse with exercise-just achey. The last few months i have been pushing on stamina and endurance. My very first time on the treadmill post op, .5mph almost killed me, and now 3mph is good.

I am happy i am doing well. I preached STRETCHING every day and feel this is the core reason i did well. Im young and hope i never need another surgery.

This site got me thru the pain,misery,agony and depression that no one else warns you about. The journey is personal for each of us. We all heal different and have different pain tolerances. I dealt with a lot of scar tissue (that "band" that everyone talks about ) . Glad i broke it up in the beginning, because my range is great now. Ive not forgotten the horrific pain i endured but it doesnt cause the same ptsd"now what" that it did at 8months. Every day would bring its own problems and every morning brought new hope.

Stay strong KNEEBIES! Push on, be diligent and purposeful. I admit im not 100% yet in strength (backpacking awaits me) but at least i can day hike now with a small backpack!

15 months later, moving forward and so very glad (as the song says)when i was going thru hell-i kept on going!

God Bless all of you!

:D

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I really needed to read your words of encouragement! I have had a very rough time with my TKR. It’s been so rough that the VA recommended that I file for 100% disability. 
    • Posted

Oh Philguud! I feel your pain!! I was scared to death my life was over. I was 52 at time of op. How could i live and work and do what i loved if i couldnt walk? It made me feel a level of depression i didn't know could exist. So i came up with these different stretches,exercises,worked with my physical thearpist and cried. I let myself feel what i had WAS REAL. Then i pushed thru time and again. Now,few people even know i had the surgery. When i tell them,their jaw drops. I tell them for encouragement. What seems like THE END, isn't. I tolerate pain pretty well, but THIS was my own horror movie.

Thats why i wanted to post the 15mo mark. Recovery is probably forever but as I've gotten better, the regular day activity takes the place of 'specific exercises'. Im lucky i have a strong faith in God and believe you me, i yelled at Him a few times telling Him i wasn't Job! Lol!

Celebrate the small wins. Decide what you envision you to be and then DON'T GIVE UP! This site made me realize all those things so i repeat them to you now.

I know its long but hopefully, helpful.

Good luck,stay tough!

• Posted

Really liked reading this, it is so true, the things they do not warn you about. I have that "band " at the moment im 5 weeks post op only at 40 degrees. How did you break it up? Was it just massaging around the knee? Well done with your recovery, and i agree this site helps alot

• Posted

Yes, i massaged but i had the therapist use this plunger (he has special training) to lift the tissues as he did slow circle motion. Also i used the therapy bands around my foot and then would bend my knee to chest holding for 15 to 30 seconds while sitting on bed or chair. I screamed when i was doing it (i had a lot of previous trauma to my left knee that had caused previous scarring)but the inital pain got less n less the more i did it. A few times a day. I have complete flexion and extension now- cant go further as calf and thigh touch. I still sit at night with my legs on the coffee table ,feet on a pillow, and just let my knees 'drop' and relax. It keeps the extension as i found, even after all this time, wants to tighten. So stretch! I stretch in am and pm a few simple ones that keep everything working and no back pain.

• Posted

It’s nice to see encouragement and glad you are doing so well.
  • Posted

Hi AuntEG,

Enjoyed your comments and words of encouragement...thank you.  I'm going for my second Rtkr March 12, had my left one done last August, but still dreading the months of recovery.  I know it is what I need to do, so I'll remember your words 'I kept on going'!

Many blessings,

Cherry🍒

• Posted

Ah, that's great! It's so good to hear of the benefits being enjoyed!

I am almost one year post op. Still shed a tear from time to time. But its a happy, grateful tear. So relieved I can walk as i need and want to. Well beyond my expectation,

Pre surgery...reliable walking time was ten minutes.

Can now walk for as long as i need to. Priceless. Happy.

• Posted

I am so glad to hear how well you've done in the last 15 months. I remember you from last year, I am about 16months po on my right knee!

I had TKR on the left 16th December 2017. So have started at the beginning again. I must say no2 has been easier but more painful. Pain I can deal with so all ok!!

It really is good to hear from you again & so important to the 'kneebies' to hear a success story.

Take care of yourself 

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Have you heard from Chris? I hope all went well with her surgery. Glad you came thru #2. Sorry about pain but at least you know it goes away despite that it stinks now. I always appreciated your positive,even tempered approach.

Best wishes

• Posted

Ahh thank you for that. The pain is minimal now.

No I haven't heard from Chris, I often wonder how she's doing. She must have had her 2nd op a while ago now as she got back in to see her consultant sooner than I could. I tried to pm her & get her email so I could stay in touch but she had already left the group! Sorry for that as I would have liked to stay in touch.

All the best to you, it's been great to hear from some of the 'old crowd' but we have lovely new ones too.

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.