15 month old son diagnosed with SVT

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

My 15 month old son was diagnosed with SVT after suffering raised heart beat of 297bpm. A&E swiftly diagnosed and treated with ongoing prescription of 6ml of Propanolol 3x daily. No repeat incident after 12 months which is great news.

I was wondering though if anyone has noticed any side effects of prolonged use of propanalol. I've researched this in the internet but it sounds like it's very safe to use? For reference my son is full of life and doesn't stop running round until his bedtime so it certainly hasn't slowed him down!

ATB

Andrew

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do not worry ,I believe it's the sign of an extremely healthy heart ,I've had SVT from the age of 13 my mothers father or my grand father had SVT and my daughters son my grandson has had it since 8or 9 months old he now in army and 20 yr old I know this is scary for you but you just learn how to live with it
    • Posted

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your comments, its comforting to hear that SVT hasn't hindered your grandson from leading a normal life. I wish him all the best for his career in the army.

Andrew

• Posted

Hi there. Our daughter is 9.5 months and had an episode of SVT due to extra electrical pathways at 2.5 months and has also been on propanolol 3x/day ever since. Not sure about long term side effects but her cardiologist is planning to wean her off of it at 12 months because after then she should be able to "tell us" if her heart is going crazy. (We check her heart rate several times a day anyway). Also they are not planning on doing catheter ablation unless she has SVT "often" which they said is more than a few times a year. Hope that helps.
    • Posted

Hi Natalie. Thanks for your sharing your experience, its interesting to hear such a similar story to our own.

We have seen 2 consultants at the Royal Brompton about this treatment. One said to wean him off the propanolol now and we should just keep an eye on him. If he experiences another episode we should bring him into hopsital and he can have an injection of adenosine.

The second consultant said this approach had it's own risks, namely the heart may not restart immediately after a dose of adenosine and that in some case doesn't restart at all at which point the paddles come out and they would have to zap him to get his heart started again.

Obviously this got us very nervous and so have decided to continue with the propanolol, increasing the dosage as he grows, until the point at which he can communicate properly and tell us how he's feeling, probably around 3 or 4. We can then use some of the other techniques explained on this web site to stop the SVT.

Andrew

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.