15 months after rectocele and sacrospinous fixation new prolapse

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi  15 months after rectocele and sacrospinous fixation I have been dogged with frequent urine infections and feeling I need to go constantly. Everything has felt off for weeks went to doctors and told I have another prolapse. Doc said it was all vaginal walls? She has referred me to a phisyo and given me eostrogen pesseries I am 52 and still having periods. She has said 3 months before anything else. I am concerned she hasnt referred me to surgeon .I had last one done private but havent got that anymore. Not sure what has prolapsed ? Wether last one has failed and if phisyo will work ? Any help would be appriciated from this fabulous site. Thank you 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Pam. I'm sorry to read you have another prolapse. I really don't know what your GP means by "all vaginal walls", it doesn't sound very professional. Physio won't help your prolapse but it will help strengthen the pelvic floor muscles and the oestrogen will help thicken the vaginal wall that's understandably become thin due to the depletion of female hormones even though you are still having periods. If the wall is strengthened then it will help any future repair. I'm guessing when I say this but you probably have another rectocele and a urogynaecologist would probably only prescribe what your GP has. Urogynaecologists think highly of a GP who tries this sort of approach before they see the patient. You can insist on a consultant referral on the NHS, GP's are not supposed to refuse.

• Posted

Thanks Matron ,you always give good advice .I am going to give it everything I have got for 3 months (Kegals here I come ). After that do you think they would recommend more surgery . I can feel a bulge just in front of vaginal wall and doc said that was a fold ? .I just feel a bit confused so I might make an appointment to clarify . Could the sacrospinous fixation have failed ? I have right buttock pain and I have 7 days antibiotics for the infection. Its just depressing I feel like my bits are 82 not 52 !! 
    • Posted

Before my urogynaecologist would repair my rectocele and cystocele he insisted I had 3 months of using Vagifem (oestrogen pessary), I didn't have physio though. It is now thought that strengthening the vaginal wall in peri and post menopausal women gives the surgery the best chance of success so yes I think you will get that referral and you should continue using the pessaries or cream afterwards as well. I'm still prescribed them and I think that's why I don't have any problems. The fold your GP mentioned is due to the new prolapse, it's caused a slight fold or pleat in the vaginal wall. The fixation could have failed but it sounds more likely you have another prolapse, the buttock pain could be caused by either failure. Another appointment would be a good idea. We always wished we had asked more questions at an appointment but this time you'll go back after having time to think things over and you'll have done more research as well. 

• Posted

Thanks Matron really do appreciate the advice. Going on a cruise for 2 weeks next Sunday with 7 days antibiotics so will get appointment when back. Hopefully 12 days of relaxation and it will fix itself !! LOL 
  • Posted

I have had 4 operations. It has left me with serve back problems and coccyx pain .I still have a prolapse .I also have physiotherapy. I don't no what to do know

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.