15 months of PF pain....but wasn't exactly plantar fasciitis!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I wanted to share my story....it's not over yet, but I pray it will be soon with a happy ending.  For 15 months I suffered with what was diagnosed by four doctors (2 podiatrists, 2 orthopedic surgeons) as plantar fasciitis.  Four cortisone shots over the 15 months (which would give me relief for a month), PT, x-rays, custom orthotics, MRI, shock wave therapy, and an arsenal of products from Amazon including: night splint, exercise roller, lotions, creams, support wear, and pills.  Finally, I had no option but to consider PF release surgery (which some were suggesting).  I went back to one of the orthos (he did knee surgery on me years ago)....didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling, as he only did PF release "a handful of times" a year.  Went to a podiatrist who finally figured it out--with my 15 month history and the MRI (two other doctors also read the report, but didn't connect the dots). He said I had a tumor (fibroid) on my plantar (MRI showed thickness on the plantar).  As I'm sure most of you have read on the internet, 90% of PF can be resolved without, 10% require surgery.  Well, of the 10% of patients that require surgery, 25% have a tumor on their plantar.  The odds are small (lucky me...too bad I can't win the lottery with those small odds because it would have helped with all the medical bills!)  So, a little over 2 weeks ago I had the tumor removed and a chunk of the plantar was taken out where the tumor was--which was benign). I was in a cast for 2 weeks, 2 days, just got the cast removed a couple of days ago and can wear sneakers.  I could put weight on, but I use crutches (not very gracefully, I might add) because there is/continues to be surgical pain.  I went back to work (1/2 day) the day after the cast was removed, but I have a desk job.  I do plan on working part-time this week, then hopefully full-time.  The doctors said 6 weeks until I'm back to "normal" (geez...can't really remember was normal was).  I do have an issue with some pain on the side of my foot, that could be from overcompensating when I was walking with the cast on, leaning the opposite direction of the incision--if that makes sense.  So, I just want suffers to know this uncommon condition is out there and you might want to bring it up, in case your doctor runs out of ideas.  Luckily, the podiatrist I went to was very familiar, seeing hundreds of these in his 30+ year career.  I'm 61 years old, so  probably won't heal as fast as younger patients.  I do hope I can report in a month or so that I'm at 100%. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi joanne im currently off work with PF, i have been to doctors seeral times, physio 3 times and due to see a podiatrist in 2 weeks, i cant wear shoes as hurt the back of ankles, i asked for injections as i want to get back to work, but cant as can only wear my flipflops, as i work 12 hour shifts in a car home , i feel so lazy as in pain
    • Posted

Hi Glynis, good idea to see a podiatrist.  I went to two of them before going to two orthopedic surgeons, figuring the orthopedic docs had more experience....wrong!  In the end, the podiatrist figured out my problem.  I didn't have the symptoms you had, my ankles were fine.  Is your doc okay with you wearing flip flops?  Any podiatrist I've gone to (and I've been to them before this event) have said NO! to flip flops.  Did your doctor recommend Aleve, Advil or Motrin?  I can't take any of those as I'm allergic--so that made my problem even more frustrating to deal with.  Good luck, hope you find the cure soon.

• Posted

One of the back of my ankle feels bruised , the pain is under the arches of my feet, really tendor , i said to the physio that i dont get pain on my ankles, she said the podiatrs should give me a ultrasound, my feet are red and ankles and flare up when been on my feet
    • Posted

you need to wear cushioned trainers with special orthepidic soles which support the arches under your feet. flip flops defo NO
  • Posted

Well from one PF sufferer to hopefully an ex sufferer I wish you the best and thnx sharing your story. I've had a few shots and I'm getting a little weary of this condition so I will mention this possible diagnosis to my Ortho.

• Posted

Hi Joanne, please keep us posted how you get on because ive had PF for nearly 4 years and have also tried everytihng but nothing has worked for me.

But I have never even thought about operation and my Podiatrist has never mentioned it even thou he is also very experienced. I also go to a trauma doctor and he suggested the treatment of using your own blood the mother cells then they get injected back into your plantar fasciitis muscle to regenerate the muscle tissue. it is a very expensive process and only lasts maximum 1 year as its a fairly new thing they dont really know the percentage of how good it really works.

I would like to know your progress thou ....

Anyone reading this Cortesone injections is a very bad idea. It works sometimes lasts about 3 months then the pain comes back even worse, and my Podiatrist told me its a very bad idea because bits of the cortisone stay in your muscle and cause like a glass effect and if you have several injections in the end you will feel like your walking on stones. I had 2 sets of injections and 3 years down the line I am still suffering .

• Posted

Hi Joyce, I am sorry to hear you've been suffering for 4 years.  My podiatrist did talk to me briefly about the blood injections--but it's not covered by insurance and I've tried so much, I didn't want to go that route if it wasn't proven.  I will continue with progress reports--going to the doctor on Tuesday.  There is pain--but that's to be expected for a few more weeks I'm told.  Are you in pain every time to take a step?  Are you doing any kind of exercises or physical therapy?

• Posted

I haven’t been on this site for months, happy to report within 2 months I was 90 percent pain free, by 4 months 95 percent pain free.  My only regret is all the extra steps I took to avoid surgery...I should have done it earlier.  So thankful for every painless step I now take!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.