15 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

My husband started Effexor XR 15 weeks ago. He was in a very very bad place when he started the meds.  He went through the horrible side effects... increased anxiety, insomnia, nausea, dizziness.  Those stopped about 3-4 weeks in. Then we saw ok days start appearing where he wouldn’t be panicky but also wasn’t great. Then the blips. The roller coaster ride of ok days and horrific days. Never any days with no symptoms but days that the symptoms would be there but manageable. 

He feels like he’s hit a wall for the last few weeks. He hasn’t felt like anything has improved since about 12 weeks, although I’m seeing less of the bad days overall and more of those ok days. The ok days haven’t gotten better but they are more often. 

He is worried he is stuck like this. Like it’s stagnant and he won’t get better than this. His symptoms now include morning anxiety that tends to fade around lunch time, apathy, racing thoughts and intrusive thoughts throughout the day and they just seem to be there but not overly bothersome. 

I’ve seen a huge improvement in him since the beginning and so have our kids. But as someone with anxiety, in this process, he can’t see the progress or light at the end of the tunnel.  Has anyone gone through this same type of experience? He is a poor metabolizer and is overmethylated. He can’t tolerate any supplements, he is gluten free, dairy free, no sugar, caffeine or alcohol. He does yoga daily, keeps himself busy and tries to work through it all but some days he struggles. Would love to reassure him that this is normal and other people have gone through it all. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Christina,

I too, am a poor metabolizer and it's something that's worsened with age. I wasn't particularly aware of it before I reached about 40, and I went onto Venlafaxine aged 49. I stayed on Ven for 6 or 7 years and it was during this period that the issues of metabolizing accelerated so that 15 years after coming off the med I'm intolerant (I hate that expression - I'd love to be able to eat what I like but am not 'permitted' by my digestive system) to dairy products, animal products, sugar, tea, most carbs/sources of energy. Please ask your husband to discuss this potential problem with the doctor.

Yours sincerely,

Philip

• Posted

What dose is your husband on Christina? Maybe he would benefit from upping the dose? I have been on 75 for 2 weeks and feeling more depressed. I was told I could up the dose after 2 weeks but I think I should wait as 75 is still settling in my system. I have been struggling with depression for 3 months. Can’t work, feeling like my life has stopped.... depression is horrible... I have faith in Venlafaxine. 
    • Posted

Hi I just noticed your post I hit rock bottom coming off mitrazapine. I was in a bad way no appetite no sleep was so depressed it was awful. They out me on venlafaxine 37.5mg twice a day for 2 weeks never really felt the difference they upped it too 75mg twice a day and its working so far I'm a lot better and back at work xx

• Posted

What dose is your husband on Christina? Maybe he would benefit from upping the dose? I have been on 75 for 2 weeks and feeling more depressed. I was told I could up the dose after 2 weeks but I think I should wait as 75 is still settling in my system. I have been struggling with depression for 3 months. Can’t work, feeling like my life has stopped.... depression is horrible... I have faith in Venlafaxine. 
  • Posted

Christina I was on 37.5mg twice a day and never really got better and they upped it too 75mg twice a day and now I'm doing a lot better than I was and back at work. I'd say there's a 99% improvement on how I was 11 weeks ago. I was in a really bad way never been so ill in my life couldn't sleep couldn't eat cried absolutely constantly every day it was a old neighbour who came too visit and found me in a terrible state n phoned doctor too say this girl needs help xxx

• Posted

Hi Christina. I too have the apathy, anxiety, racing thoughts and intrusive thoughts and insomnia. I have been on venlafaxine for 6 weeks now. 75mg starting dose for 2 weeks then up to 150mg for past 4 weeks. I have also recently been prescribed quetiapine 25mg, 3 times a day. Although it's an anti-psychotic doctors can prescribe this to help with anxiety and to also work alongside an antidepressant to help with depression. Perhaps your husband could ask his GP about this? If your husband is getting support from a psychiatric nurse or psychiatrist they would be able to make an assessment and if suitable in your husbands case prescribe this extra medication? I definitely feel the quetiapine is calming the thoughts and also helps with sleep too. It's been a hard time for you all, but please tell your husband from me that he will improve. A few days ago I thought I would never get better (that's the nature of the illness only). Today I can see that I will get there. Does your husband have good support from doctors, psychiatric nurses? This is such a help when dealing with the illness. I hope you and your children are getting plenty of support too. You will get back to how things were before. Depression/Anxiety is an illness that with treatment does get better. The quetiapine has eased the intrusive and racing thoughts and gives the breathing space required to focus on getting better. Love to you and all your family and wishing your husband a good recovery which hopefully won't be far away. X

• Posted

Hi there! I totally understand where your husband is right now. Yes, I would say he metabolizes very slowly, but the positive note is that he is having more good days and it sounds like they are increasing. It just may be a case of the typical 4-8 weeks for the medicine to work is taking a bit longer for him. He's come so far, and to wean off is hard. If he continues to improve on a regular basis, many of the side effects may disappear over more time.

I recently was increased to 150 mg from 75. Long story short, my generic was discontinued twice so I'm on brand only Effexor XR. I only mention this because sometimes generics do not work well. This might be worth looking into. That being said, after two weeks of being on 150, I had a few break through mild episodes today. But I know the trigger and can calm down. Only two weeks in the higher dose, but there is definitely a difference in that I was literally a basket case on the lower 75 dose.

Your husband will be okay, either in this medication, or something else. Anxiety eventually runs it's course, and stops until the next flare up. remind him that he's it through the day, he can do it again!!!

• Posted

Hi Christina

Your husband should ask your GP to increase his dose. He has given it a good chance to work.  If Effexor XR does not work for him as he would wish he can ask his GP to prescribe another.    (What dose is he taking).  I was initially prescribed  75mg Vensir XL (Venlafaxine - this medication has so many names) for 6 weeks and then started on 150 mg.  I have been taking this for 3 years and am very happy with it.  Your husband is doing all the right things.  Different antidepressants work better for some than others.   There is one there for your husband's needs.  Although loved ones can see an improvement outwardly, inwardly depressed people are not functioning as they want. That is where they become despondent.

Let me know how your husband is doing.

Kind Regards

Jeddy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.