15 weeks post op. - is smelly belly normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a hysterectomy 5th April, it should of been keyhole but complications during the op prevented this from happening so had to have it abdominally leaving a horizantal scar, I was only on the hospital for one night. I stayed off work for 2 weeks then slowly got back into normal life again, the trouble I have is that a majority of the time I forget that I have even had the Op, I have a personal trainer at the gym to help me with my tummy muscles, most weekends are taken up by going out and being on my feet constantly, then a couple of days later, it all comes flooding back that I have had the op, leaving me with swelly belly and back ache. Is all this still a symptom of having the op? Am I still not yet fully recovered? do I still need to rest often? I look forward to hearing any views on this.  Thanks x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had my TAH on May 9 (everyhting removed except one ovary) and still have a swelly belly too. Although I don't really have enough pain to bother me, I can feel that there is still healing going on inside. I was told that it might take up to a year to heal completely. I am also very active, but as long as I have no real pain or bleeding, I am not too worried about resting more than I do now. smile
    • Posted

I have more energy now than I have for years, so 90% of the time I feel great and finding that I don't rest very often! then every now and again my body sends me a little reminder and makes me a little bit paranoid. I would say a lot is down to mind over matter too, having the determination to recovery quickly. 

By having just one ovary removed do you still go through the menopause straight away? I kept both of mine.

thanks for the reply, I have only ever read through the forums and never posted or discussed so it's nice to have the personal touch :-)

glad to hear you are doing really well

• Posted

I think both of us are very blessed to have so much energy! I am on a facebook group for women who had hysterectomies and so many of them are not doing as well as we are.

To answer your question... I have had no hormonal symptoms yet, indicating that I am closer to menopause now than before the surgery (I just turned 42 yesterday). I am having some blood tests though in a couple of weeks because the doctor wanted to find out for sure, but I think they will say I don't need HRT for now. smile

• Posted

I lot of forums I have read, some ladies are still struggling 6months on, I use to read hystersisters everyday when a new symptom arose. Happy birthday to you for yesterday, I was 42 in January, I've had 2 children youngest is 21 and I have a 3 year old grandson, I'm loving how my life is panning out now without any of the dread and pain that came with every month when I was due on.

they say that the ovaries can go to sleep after the op and need to be woken up. Fingers crossed all your tests come back clear.

what is the Facebook group called?

my PT went online and did some research before my first session on what I can and can't do, he made me take it easy the until I was 12 weeks post op and now he introduces a little bit more constantly asking how each exercise feels, I can't do crunches yet, we tried a couple of leg presses, but was a little bit uncomfortable, I'm very impressed by his attitude towards me as he has never had a hysterctomy client before and bless he is only 21 :-)

• Posted

Wow, you're a grandma already? I have 5 kids, ages 8-18. No grandchildren in sight! The group is called 'hysterectomy sisters'.

Good for you to have found such a good trainer!

• Posted

you are suppose to be 8 weeks without doing anything you went to work whay to quickly and it is not healed inside yet you are best to see your surgeon for this matter as it is not suppose to smell, you may have another issue. 
    • Posted

Hi Claire 

sorry for the confusion, the only other issue I have is typing to quickly putting smelly instead of swelly!

• Posted

it has been 4 months since my abdominal radical hysterectomy i had cancer in there so they took everything out i still have pain and it feels like I have a lump where the incision is. I also am experiencing pain. I am going to see my surgeon next month for monitoring purposes will bring it up to him. You take care. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.