15 weeks since TKR

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all. Just hit 15 weeks after TKR I still am very stiff, have a good day or partial day here and there since last week. Just weaning off pain meds for a couple of weeks as I have built up a slight addiction to them (as to be expected) but taking only 1/2 tab dilaudid twice a day. Pain is still present when I walk, I am doing 15-20 minutes on the treadmill daily, stretching and strengthening exercises daily. I also do errands so on my feet or walking as much as I can daily. the stiffness is maddening as is the pain from movement. Doc thinks I am doing fine and I know we all heal differently.

I will see the surgeon in 2 weeks and see what he now thinks. Sleeping is not a problem, I did spend the first 4 or more weeks in my recliner.

That's where I am at this point in time, sort of counting to 6 months when I hope things will be much better

JRS

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

This surgery isn't much fun, I am at 13 weeks and keep getting told it will get better but it's a long haul. The stiffness and the feel of lead in your knee is crazy. Lots of walking and ice is about all that can be done, I am still on meds but slowly coming off. I can't wait for the day I don't complain.

• Posted

JRS11, are you getting any physio i found after deep manipulation (massage)on the whole leg i got so much more movement and the pain dissapated.

• Posted

i had phy. therapy and was graduated to doing it at home I will look into message, thanks brent

• Posted

Well worth it,the deep massage really works wonders,loosens the thighs and hamstring and also get behind the knee done,thats like winning the lottery. 😃

• Posted

Hello JSR11, just to tell you that I am 1 year after my TKR on the right knee. All is fine now, but after the operation I had a perfectly straight knee, and 120 bend. I never had any stiffness but the following pain was terri ble.It still took 8 months for everything to settle down during the day, and no more hot, inflamed knees under the bedcover at night. It does take a long time to feel back to normal, so always look on the bright side, you will get there.

• Posted

Thank Janet, I know that the process can take up to 12 months from what I have been told. I am just trying to walk more but the stiffness and pain associated does limit it and pain killers are out of the question for me at this time.. Thanks so much for your feedback, glad all is good with you.

• Posted

i have just celebrated 11 months since my TKR. I never thought that i would get to this point, but rest assure, you will feel better, it takes time and patience.

Good Luck and HAPPY NEW YEAR

• Posted

i have just celebrated 11 months since my TKR. I never thought that i would get to this point, but rest assure, you will feel better, it takes time and patience.

Good Luck and HAPPY NEW YEAR

• Posted

Thank you barb. I know I know I need to be patient. This morning is good, maybe the rest of the day will be. Thanks for your words

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.