15 years old, afraid that I have bowel cancer

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 15 years old, around 5'9 and 130 pounds, my race is white/black I am not on any medication, A couple months ago I was experiencing similar symptoms until they almost entirely went away until about a week ago. I've had a lump above my anus for as long as I can remember but as far as I know this is a symptom for the far more rare anal cancer. In around mid-December for a few days I was bloated as well as constipated, I did have some bleeding, however this was very likely because when it happened I was straining really hard and it went away the next time I went. I also had a bit of a cough, which wasn't that bad except my lungs started gradually getting quite sore until it was extremely painful. I was experiencing a little cramping then but nothing to bad. I was taking probiotics, collagen and bone broth and it went away after I took that for 3 or so days. I was almost completely normal except for slightly worse than normal constipation (I've always only pooped once every 2-4 days) until about the 8th of February, almost exactly 2 months since something similar happened. When it first started I had some pretty loose/thin stools, then some powdery stools, then diarrhea a couple times, then started to be constipated again. I have noticed a small amount of bright red specks in my poop that I assume is blood, from what I think is a hemorrhoid above my anus. I am once again pretty bloated and crampy, my entire lower stomach has some fairly mild pain from what I assume to be bloating and cramping. I don't think this is cancer because I'm extremely young to have it, and since I don't have many risk factors for it other than I don't get much exercise and I should probably eat some more vegetables. I'm pretty sure that I don't have a family history of this particular kind of cancer. Could this just be IBS or a lifestyle problem? I don't get a lot of exercise and I don't eat many fruits or vegetables or fiber, but I also don't each much red meat or processed foods. From what I could find, it's a 1/1,000,000 chance that someone my age would have bowel cancer but it's still freaking me out. The only reason I haven't gone to a doctor yet (I wanted to a couple months ago) is because the doctors here aren't very good and I'm fairly sure that I don't have health insurance. I'm also pretty sure that I don't have the classic symptoms, such as weight loss, constant sharp abdominal pain, any significant loss in appetite, I still get hungry at normal intervals even though it seems a little lower, probably because of the bloating, dark blood in the stool, fatigue and I don't have any noticeable lumps around my lower stomach.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi James. I am so sorry that you are hurting physically and are suffering emotionally because you don't know what's going on. Have you told your parents about this? I know it could be embarrassing but I think you could find out if you have insurance and get support from your parents. I do think it should be checked out if for no other reason than to give you emotional relief. Diane

• Posted

I have told them, they refuse to get me checked because I'm somewhere where I don't have insurance and it's supposed to be like a .000001% chance that I have it, they said that I should just change my diet and such.

• Posted

James from what I've read you are very young for colon cancer but a doctor may be able to ease your mind. I hope all goes well and please keep us posted but take that leap and call a doctor as price of mind is everything

• Posted

I want to go get tested but my parents won't let me because I'm somewhere where I don't have insurance and where the doctors are poorly trained, they want me to change my diet and see if that helps

• Posted

James I'm sorry you are going through this I hope you get something worked out soon as I know all too well about health issues weighing heavyonyour mind

• Posted

Hey James hope this helps you I am in my second remission for stage 3a neuroendocrine carcinoma . Besides the chemo and radiation I took I had to have radical surgery at Vanderbilt .I had a colectomy and proctectomy and you know what I am doing great . Yes I have a permanent stoma but times have changed when it comes to having a stoma pouches are water proof they have caps and I still do just about everything swimming hiking fishing you name it. Don't know what your condition may be but if you are afraid that you might have something serious as I did you need to seen by a hood doctor but don't be afraid if you are concerned you might have something similar to what I had cause actually after all the treatment and the radical surgery for a stomach no more IBS no more cancer and I am living a normal life if not better.

• Posted

Sorry mispelled good doctor and stoma. Try the health dept if no insurance.
  • Posted

One other thing that is important James is HPV virus if you are sexually active and you are having problems you do need to get seen . My cancer neuroendocrine carcinoma is the result of HPV so please go to the health dept if you can go yourself if your parent won't take you if it is serious at least the health dept will lead you in the right direction. Always keep a positive thought

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.