15 yr old female with possible gallbladder problem

Posted , 3 users are following.

My daughter is 15 yr's old. She had her appendix removed 3 weeks ago and we were told after that surgery that her gallbladder was very swollen and her Bilirubin levels were high. For close to 2 years she's had digestive problems, a lot of diarrhea after she eats and abdominal and back pain, never thought gallbladder till now.

We go back in 2 days for follow up on te appendix and more test on gallbladder, but I'm worried. I had my GB out 9 months ago, and though the pain is better, the bowel issues are horrible. She's only 15 and idontwantthis for her, any suggestions or stories would be appreciated!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My niece had to have hers out at twenty, she does have irritable bowel troubles, but these are just a continuance of what she had before.

I had my gallbladder out two and a half years ago, I'd had a stuck gallstone for over three months, waiting for the procedure to have it removed before surgery I ended up so ill I had to have emergency surgery. Took nearly a year to settle down but now the only thing I get is an acid stomach every now and again, surgeon said it's from the bile now being a constant trickle into the stomach and if there are no fats in there then I get an acid stomach. Other than that I'm fine, can eat almost anything I want, including curry, cream etc. not that I eat them a lot, only thing I have trouble with is bread, can eat a small amount and toast, but otherwise I feel like it's a big lump, so I just avoid it.

Hope this helps show not everyone has problems after having their gallbladder out.

• Posted

Hi Kimberly I'm sorry to hear about your daughter and am sorry to hear your still suffering after your operation too. I had mine removed 8 months ago and it hasn't been a good experience either. A friends 10 year old daughter had hers removed a year and a half ago. 10 years of age! It's criminal! She had 2 stones giving her pain. She's had digestive issues since. She vomited everyday for 9 months and has constipation and heartburn now. There are something's that might help. If your daughter is on birth control pill get her off it as it can be a contributing factor in gallbladder problems also if she's taking any ant acid meds they can make things worse. Apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon 3 times a day in a cup of warm water is good for gallstones and gallbladder problems. Also milk thistle is a herb that helps detox the liver and gallbladder and some find it good for gallbladder problems. I would try everything to keep your daughters gallbladder. Some people find Chinese medicine very effective too. Unfortunately none of us know how our bodies will react to the removal of this organ and either do the doctors. They do say for most it settles down after anything from 6 weeks to a year to 2 years. I wish your daughter well and I hope you feel better soon. Caltrate 600 d calcium might help your problems. You can take 1 tablet 3 times a day with food. You start by taking half a tablet 3 times a day with food. If there's no improvement after a week you can take 1 full tablets 3 times a day with food. A lot of people find this helps the diarrhea. Calcium soaks up the bile and solidifies the stool. I take psyllium husk for the diarrhea and find that helps too. Good luck x
  • Posted

Forgot to add my surgeon started me on peppermint oil, a couple of drops in warm water helps settle the stomach.
    • Posted

Susan I hope you don't mind me asking you but you said it took a year to settle down. What symptoms were you having? I'm 8 months post op and have had side effects but my gp said it will settle down and it takes a year. I'm glad to read your post as it gives me hope. I know of others who have had side effects that lasted anywhere from 6 weeks to 2 years but most got better. It's great to hear you can eat cream and curry. Have you ever been tested for celiac as my friend had his removed and had no side effects but the same as you with bread and he was diagnosed with celiac. X
    • Posted

The usual collic type pain, diarrhea and constipation often at the same time, weird I know, often felt sick had wind and acidy stomach. Everything gradually started to settle down and is still improving, I used to have to take antacids three or four times a day, now it tends to be once during the night and not always then. Not sure about celiac, but frankly I feel fine, and can live without eating a lot of bread, a small amount doesn't bother me.
    • Posted

Thanks Susan. I've had that constipation and diarrhea too. It's not nice. Is your bowel ok now? Glad to hear everything settled down for you. They do say it's a gradual process. You've given me some hope. X
    • Posted

I'm fine now, I'm one of those that didn't realise I had gallstones, till one got stuck, the second time it happened I had it removed. My cousin has had gallstones for years, refuses to have the op because she's frightened. I told her if she ever got one stuck she'd be begging them to take it out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.