150mg of venlafaxine not working

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi does anyone have any experience with 200mg of venlafaxine, my dose was upped 4 months ago to 150mg.

I felt better after six weeks but just recently i feel they are not working, feelings of hopelessness and feeling worthless and crying, think i need to up my dose.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, I was on 225mg ven for 9 and a bit years, it definitely helped me. For several years I had to take tryptophan to boost the uptake of the ven but it did save my life. I'm now slowly tapering off and have come down to 187.5 over the last 6 weeks. If the 150 was working and now its not quite enough you could try the 225. That's how I built up my dose then I added in the 1g of tryptophan 3 times a day. Its always worth a chat with your doctor. Alternatively it could be the increase that's got you feeling bad. I was down on 150 for around 8 months, hit a blip and was put back up to 225, at that point though it made me feel more edgy and agitated which is why I've dropped down again. A bit of trial and error sometimes unfortunately. Xx

• Posted

Hi Rebecca. Thats the way these meds work. It takes time for them to reach their full potential. Speak to your Doctor or pharmacist if you need reassurance. They will work eventually
  • Posted

hi,yes  i think you mean the 225 tablet they do , i was on that amount for many years and found they worked well. iv now cut down to 75mg and think that the time on 225 got me alot better. i have tried many anti depressent over the yeay but venlafaxine have work the best ,but they did seem to take a while to have an good effect. good look
  • Posted

Rebecca sorry to throw a spanner in the advice/comments but bigger isn't always better. I was put up to 225mg because 150mg stopped working, the higher dose didn't help. I was told I was someone with resistant symptoms and this would be my lot. Eventually I had counselling and decided to reduce. I've managed to reduce slowly. The one good bit of medical advice I was given by a psychiatrist was that someone with depression still gets the ups and downs on treatment just not so extreme.

• Posted

hi rebecca i think  that was excellent piece of advice i was only giving my own experience as you say bigger is not always better and  what is good for one  is not the same for everybody. 
  • Posted

Rebecca, Catherine is so right.  I went from 225 down to 150 and then back up to 225.  When I came back up to 225 I coldn't sleep, was hungry all the time, exhausted, anxious, literally on my last nerve, constant thoughts of self harm, suicidal ideation couldn't get up in the mornng and then back in bed by 7pm every day.  Reducing my dose has been harder this time (I think) but that could be rose-tinted glasses, however I'm now atrting to feel clearer and more like myself.  I was also told my depression was drug resistant before I started on Ven 10years ago. IMHO I believe all depression and mental health issues can be treated I just don't believe medication is always the answer, but you kinda have to be ready to take a leap of faithsometimes and believe in yourself.  i know self-belief is not something we're very good at however, we've made it this far against the odds so we can make it further.  I have a CPN, go to support groups, meditate, practice reiki and mindfulness and various other distraction therapies.  They're not for everyone but they're helping me.  A GP once said to me depression has peaks and troughs whether it's reated or untreated, so I thought "Why am I poisoning myself" my psychaiatrist has also dropped a couple of gems such as "sometimes a bad day is just a bad day", "everyone has times when they feel down you know yourself so tell me are things a bit rubbish just now are are things fine and your depression is flaring up."  Unfortunately it's the type of illness that leaves you between a rock and a hard place with no easy answers.  Let u.s know how you're going. xx

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, 

I too had the same feelings as you 5 weeks ago. I have been on two types of anti-d's in the space of two years (venlafaxine for a few months) they did not work for me.

I decided to come off the tabs altogether, I halved my dose every week and this week I have had nothing. There have been minor withdrawals towards the end but to cope with the 'brain zaps' I've been taking 5 HTP, cod liver oil, primrose oil and drinking green tea. I honestly feel like a brand new me! I never thought I would be able to come off them but it has been easier than I thought.

How long have you been taking them? 

Sorry to hear how you are feeling, for me (everyone is different) the lower the doses got through the weeks the better I felt! 

I hope you feel better soon ??X

• Posted

Hey Rebecca,,  How are you feeling this week?
    • Posted

Hi im ok, have a lot of stress to deal with at moment, so don't think that helps, might see if i can do a little increase on the ven

From Rebecca ?

• Posted

Hello! I switched from citralapin (after several years) bc of weight gain, sleep issues etc (slo learner here) after 2 was on Effexor 150ER I began awakening w/ heavy heart mood feelings then pretty rapidly to send it into a weepy, nonmotivated,  rote functioning depressive. Doc increased to 225ER two days ago / will see!
    • Posted

Wondered if you found the increase to 225mg ven did any good. I have been on 150mg for just over 9 weeks. Improved after 6-8 weeks but seem to have gone back to feeling trembly/shaky the last few days. Would be very grateful to hear how you went on.
  • Posted

Hi ya. Wondered how it's going? Thinking of upping to 225mg myself after 3 months on 150mg.  Feeling low and unmotivated. Some sleep issues too. I have weekly counselling but I just can't help but be curious as to if 225mg could be just what I need... or possibly the worst decision ever... 🤷???

• Posted

Did you increase your dose to 225mg. I have been on 150mg for 9 weeks now. Had an improvement After 6-8 weeks but have been very trembly and uneasy for the last few days. Should I give it a bit longer?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.