15days post op after gallbladder Another trip to A&E with excruciating stomach/chest pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I'm new to this but after 5mths of seeing my sister go through hell and back and battling our way through the nhs system, thought I'd ask some advice on here,.

My sister had her op on 6th August 2015 which was after 4 months of constant trips to A&E and 4 hospital stays, lost 2st in weight (her start weight 9st 10lbs), she's suffered with the normal gallstone attack as well as bad acid reflux, we was hoping the op would solve this but sadly after 4 days stay in hospital after the op the acid came back, she's has the normal ranitidine 2x a day and lansoprazole 30mg 1x a day which has not helped.

The op has really took it out of her but she is healing well, last night we was back at A&E after she had excruciating pain in middle of stomach level 10pain, which affected her chest for around 30min, hospital done the usual bloods/urine all came back clear, she has had grumbling pain for the last 3 days over gallbladder area, and less severe pain over the stomach area/Breast bone which last 10min, she has constant burning in chest/stomach area also.

A&e advised her to start taking lansoprazole 2x a day and see GPs on Monday, .

Can anyone give any advice?..iv looked up bile reflux and spincher oddi which seem similar I was leaning more to bile reflux but with this acute attack she had last night I'm a bit lost.

Any help would be a blessing.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

A nutty idea, maybe.  We know that the digestive process begins before we taste, smell or even see food.  As Pavlov demonstrated, our digestion gets prepared just at the very idea of eating.  Could we in some way 'think' ourselves out of a particular digestive state?  Anyone doing 'Mindfulness'?  Which is just a form of meditation, of course. 
  • Posted

Hi Ruthie, I too thought I could stop meds but no not yet,, I had my op 5th aug... 2 days later I took Codine for the pain (which was actually just discomfort) omg the pain had me in my knees, the exact same pain as before I had my gallbladder removed, remembered a friend said her mate did the same, was fine with them before but not afterwards so check different painkillers... I too am in 2x lansoprazole and 2x renitidine a day but have dropped the renitidine and seem to be doing ok (dropped the lansoprazole too but had serious bouts of diarrhea But all clear now I've started them again).... Have twinges but just stitches pulling so fingers crossed ... X
    • Posted

Hi Jayne2806

She never did stop her anti acid meds she's been on them for 4mths now, sadly she had another pain attack which last 20min so she was back in A&E, which was more kidney/bowel area pain, they did say it could be just normal healing due to what they have to move around to get to the gallbladder but as all the bloods came back clear they didn't want to do any tests, I find it strange that if it was to do with the healing wouldn't it have got worse earlier not neat 3wks down the line, all baffling.

We are going to try and phone the surgery clinic tomorrow to see if we can get any advice and then back to GP!

• Posted

Hi everyone

Thought I'd give a quick update, may sister finally got a GP appointment who has referred her to the gastro docs as my sister never saw these when in hospital only the surgical team, the GP is still thinking its acid but said the gastro docs will be able to help more.

My sister is also waiting for a dietitian appointment which hopefully they can help with what she can eat.

At present my sister has not had anymore pain attacks for 12days (touch wood it keeps up) she's mainly suffering with diarrhoea and nausea and still the normal acid, she's still resting a lot but is getting up to get drinks and meds an stuff, we are trying to keep a food diary to work out if anything sets it off but I was wondering if dairy things like yoghurts (fat free) set things of fpr people?

Also are the affects straight away as it seems my sister is not running to the toilet, she's going a few times a day rather than every 5min, also if her body don't agree with that good how long does it take for the body to settle down so you can tell it was that food that set it off??

Any ideas would be welcome!! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.