15mg for 1 week after 4 weeks on 7,5mg, no improvements in mood

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'be been on mirtazapine 7,5 mg for 4 weeks struggling with all side effects: next day sedation, sleepeness, blurry vision, strange dreams, then increase a doze to 15 mg. It is been 1 week, and some side effects, including next deay sedation alsmost went away, but no improvements in mood. Actually, I think it even got worse, much more things trigger an emotional reactions now... 

I used it to treat both insomnia and depression, and while it helps with insomnia (well.. still waking up at early morning...), so effects on mood. Do you think, I should go up to 30 mg, or just discontinue? Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Henrich,

I am in the process of tapering off Mirtazapine, after 10 years on it. It was originally prescribed for insomnia & depression. What I have learned that might help you in making an informed decision is the 7.5 mg is the ideal dosage for sleep related issues. 

I can't speak to the depression, as I am on two anti-depressants. I have bipolar disorder. I want to come off the Mirtazapine as 4 out of 5 medications that I am on cause weight gain. Mirtazapine is actually used as an appetite stimulant with people and in vetenarian medicine - wish I knew that before I got started on it.

According to many people on this site, Mirtazapine is difficult to get off of and needs a systematic regime to titrate off. I didn't know those things when I started and wish I had.  Good luck to you.  I hope you will find an improvement in respect to the depression - remember that if the Mirtazapine doesn't work for you that there are many anti-depressants to choose from.

Be well, be happy

• Posted

Thanks for your response, this is very helpful. Surprisingly, I did not notice any weight gain, or even increased apetite,  but I am leaning towards discontinuation.
  • Posted

Hi Henrich,

Sorry to read of your difficulties.  Mirt' contains a huge anti histamine/sedative which can last 24/7 ~ well it did for me, not everyone.  Supposedly, the higher the dose the lower the sedation BUT ... so many people have complained of anxiety increasing to 30mg.  

If you need Mirt' for insomnia 7.5 or 15 mg or even an in between dose would help.  If the insomnia caused the depression (?) then you should maybe have felt some relief by now.  How many hours do you sleep when you say you wake early morning?

• Posted

Thanks for your response, Calmer, I really appreciate it. I think I got about 6 hours of sleep now, sometimes more, although it is not a deep sleep.

To summarize a reaction, I can say that after increasing dosage to 15mg, I noticed both positive and negative effects:

Positive: 

1. It definitely helps with insomnia giving some "peace of mind" at a bedtime,

2. So far no weight gain, or increased apetite. 

Negative:

1. Still noticeable some side effects such as blurry vision, dry eyes and other vision changes,

2. Some fatigue and grogginess in the morning, 

3. Brain fog and still some sleepeness during the day,

5. No positive mood changes.

Honestly, I am leaning towards tapering it off, but maybe it worth to give it just more time....

• Posted

Hi Henrich.I've been on Mirt for about 6 months now starting at 15mg at night for anxiety/depression and sleep going up to 30mg(15 am,15pm) starting about 4+ months ago.I also take Gabapetin for IBS/nerve pain 600 mg(200 am,200 afternoon,200pm).I had most of the same side effects and most have subsided.It has helped my anxiety especially at night,but it did take a while to adjust.If your only in about a week I'd say give it at least a couple more weeks at 15 mg to see if there is any improvement.It could be you just need to let your body getused to it.Good luck and God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

Thanks, Bob, this si very helpful. Btw, I am on the same combination: remeron plus gabapetin, but I am using the last one on the "as needed" basis.

• Posted

Was put on mirtazapine for depression as it is a snri and I react very badly (cardiac problems) to SSRI.

Was on 15mg for a month but felt no difference, was upped to 30mg but still felt no difference so after another month went to 45mg, they don't go any higher (not even when you see a shrink). Still felt no difference. However my lows were no longer suicidal, and my wife noticed I seemed a bit better. Came off it (tapering 15mg per week). But no good, have gone back and working my way back to 45mg.

You may not FEEL better but ask others around you, do you seem better.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Oh I forgot, strange dreams, try f*** weird sometimes frightening, they went away at higher doses. Sleep, yes lots and lots.
  • Posted

Hi I don't think a 7.5mg dosage will do much to improve your mood . I know the lower doses have a higher sedative amount and the higher doses contain more anti depressant . So a 7.5mg dose will not improve your mood much . I would suggest either upping the dose to the original 15mg and see how that goes . I've been on 15mg for 6 weeks and it has really helped me with my depression.

Hope this helps x

• Posted

I am having trouble moving up from 7.5 to 15, this is needed as mood is low.  I am feeling very lethargic and have migraine auras behind my eyes.

This is the second time i have tried to raise it and my psych has suggested augmenting with olanzapine which others tell me not to do as it is a terrible drug.  I just cant get to six weeks for improvement, did you have any bad side effects

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.