15mg Mirtazapine Cold Turkey help :(

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been on Mirtazapine 15mg for roughly 5 months. I was put on mirt to stop my anxiety before I went to sleep. I was getting plenty of sleep on these things but I was feeling emotionally numb. 

Towards the end of my prescription I wanted to go cold turkey and just get off of them and initially I was absolutely fine. I started to notice symtoms of irritable bowels and a loss of appetite. Eventually I felt like I was hit in the face with depression. 

I sleep just fine now but as soon as I wake up I get filled with anxiety, dread and general depression. I have lost nearly all motivation for work and being alone makes me anxious.

I can get my head level after a period of time and after some tears but then my hardwork feels like it comes undone and I am overwhelmed with anxiety/depression and it hits me in waves. I can be really happy one minute and then very depressed the next.

I don't want to go back onto any anti depressants or anything. I would say that my anxiety before taking these tablets was mild but now it is. 

I know that we all experience withdrawal differently but I guess what I am looking for is some encouragement that I will eventually feel normal again. I have been feeling like this for nearly a week now and it is killing me. It has been about 5/6 weeks sine I took Mirtazapine. Has anyone succesfullly come off Mirtazapine cold turkey?

Thanks!

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I really don't think these symptoms are due to withdrawal of mirtazapine as you have been off it for 5/6 weeks and the withdrawal symptoms tend to be strongest 3 - 10 days after coming off the pills.
    • Posted

The reason I assumed it is Mirtazapine is because of the irritable bowels and depression/anxiety. I didn't have a single symptom from withdrawing initially and from what I read the symptoms are fairly consistent with withdrawal. 
  • Posted

Hi Sandy,

It is the withdrawal. If you didn't have these symptoms prior to starting Mirt then it is withdrawal. But in my humble opinion you are doing extremely well! I stopped this drugs twice last year and within a month (or two the second time) I was back on it due to musles and joints pains, depression, crying all the time, extreme insomnia (when I went on it I only suffered with anxiety for a month) Now I'm in the process of coming off it slowly. Hang in there girl! You're doing great. If you had any doubts or further trouble try to research some herbs or naturopath doctors, they should be able to help you through it! Good luck!

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you so much, you have really put my mind at ease. I want to think that it is getting better every day but then I will just have a moment of depression that completely throws me off and makes me think that there is no end in sight. I just have such inconsistent thoughts and feelings at the moment. Thanks again :D

• Posted

It may take a while. I've read tons of posts here and on different sites. Some symptoms may last for a few months but doesn't have to. The drug was inducing certain chemicals in your body and now the body has to take over and produce them itself. It's a process but nourishing it with vitamins and omega oils may help. You will be just fine very soon! Believe it! Many people achieved it!
    • Posted

Thank you so much smile that is exactly how it feels. It feels like an imbalance, I just went to buy some Omega 3 hopefully it will help. Your words have helped me so much!
  • Posted

If you went cold turkey Sandy,I would say to you I speak to a lot of people who have come off Mirt, and they are still not clear for about two months, so just be patient and give it a little longer.  Just remember the saying,one shoe don't fit all.
    • Posted

smile thanks your words really help me. It's hard to stay positive when your mind fights against it so desperately lol but you really help smile
    • Posted

Hi Sandy did I read that right,you've got IBS.? Strangely enough I was put on Mirt for IBS stupidly,now as I'm withdrawing from Mirt, my Stomack pain gets more severe, but I'm determined to get off it. So if your suffering IBS symptoms I don't think your alone a lot of people have that side effect. But like I say just be patient,and if it gets unbearable go back and see your GP.   Take care Big Hug coming your way.
    • Posted

I meant I have IBS symptoms, which I have had during my course of mirtazapine and afterwards. I never had symptoms of it before so I can only assume it is related. Thank you for the hug :P I need it today last week was easier. I seem to be able to lift myself up for a few hours but it never lasts sad

• Posted

Sounds like you have relapssed and this can happen from sudden withdrawal. You should see your doctor. It would be good to slowly start on an antidepressant and continue for 12-24 months. Usually this time period is required to minimise likelihood of relapse. You do not need to be on them forever dont worry. After the full course you can slowly come off them over a period of 4 to 8 weeks to avoid withdrawal and relapse. Hope you feel better soon!!
    • Posted

Thanks I have an appointment booked for Friday. I don't really want to have to go back on anti depressants of any kind. I started with mild anxiety that used to keep me awake at night occassionally but this is a completely different beast. I can only assume the chemicals in my body are readjusting and that is why I can go from feeling fine to feeling like there is no hope. Thanks a lot for your help smile
  • Posted

What you describe about waking up with anxiety and dread sounds like what I had with depression. It could be 'rebound' withdrawal symptoms from stopping the mirtazapine, i agree with most of what other people have said. I've been on it more than 6 years and am now trying to reduce it slowly but it's proving difficult. I haven't had the anxiety & depression come back but I'm not sleeping so long after a reduced dose. Everyone is different, and it's up to you to decide how much of the symptoms you can tolerate while you wait to see if they settle down.
    • Posted

Thanks smile I have a doctors appointment booked for the end of the week and hopefully I will be in a better place. Each day is a real battle to feel somewhat normal. 
  • Posted

Hi Sandy I came of mirt cold turkey I d only taken then for two months so I thought it would be ok,I was totally wrong,I couldn t deep,hot and cold sweats,By the 5 the week I felt like I d been run over,every part of my body hurt,I shook inside and my anxiety hit the roof.it can take weeks even months to be totally well again it's five months since I stopped and I ve only just began to feel totally normal.i m not saying these things to scare you I just want you to know you are not going mad,and slowly you will feel better,contact Cita they will tell you how long you should have withdrawn but they also tell you how long it may take for you to feel well again.For some people it's a long road but you will get there 😄 x
    • Posted

So glad to hear from someone who had pretty much the same symptoms. Thanks a lot! It really does help to hear that I am not alone. Wish I had never gone on the damn things.
    • Posted

Hi  Fudgeybear, I haven't heard from you in a while,I used to follow you with Rose,and A few others. There's a young lady on here I've been talking to all afternoon,I believe your experience of Mirt is different to mine and she's quite stressed.Would you mind if I tell her to message you privately? You would probly be more help than me .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.