15yearold with shingles

Posted , 4 users are following.

my daughter is 15 years old and has shingles on her genitals. she has had the itching for around two weeks and the rash started a week ago. she was prescribed a weeks worth of five 400g tablets a day. the pharmacist told us she shouldve been given 800g a day and if they dont work to come back. she has two days left and it has just got more painful and itchy and she cant leave the house. what should i do and when will it go away?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry your daughter has shingles. If you have read many posts on this site, you will realize that everyone's experience with shingles is unique. It could run its course and never come back, it could run its course and have residual pain and itching or it could continue to flair up and be problematic forever.She could develop the following: Postherpetic itch (PHI), like postherpetic neuralgia (PHN), occurs in shingles patients who have persistent nerve damage after the rash subsides. The neuropathic itch condition is caused when the herpes zoster (HZ) virus kills or damages the neurons that mediate normal itch and pain sensations. Those are only a few of the many scenarios that could happen. Look up information on the internet, but don't take the time frame as gospel. It says it's suppose to last 3-5 wks. , and hopefully this will be true for your daughter.

No one can predict how shingles will affect her or when it will go away.

I took gabapentin which helped, and used an ointment, Terasil, that relieved some of the itching and pain. I tried other creams/ointments, but this one is made for shingles.

• Posted

thank you for your advice, im praying she gets better soon its so difficult watching her in such discomfort and pain slowly getting worse.

• Posted

I will keep her in my prayers. I know how difficult this is, and pray she will be better quickly.

• Posted

Hi Linda

I feel for your daughter honestly. I would ring the doctor to double check dosage, it could be due to her age that she is on a lower dosage? Best to double check to make sure she has the best treatment.

I have had my rash for 4 weeks now , although it looks better, it doesnt seem to be going as yet. My pain is subsiding and itching only lasted the week, but everyones reactions can differ. I used calamine lotion on my itching, but my rash runs from right side of bellybutton round to right kidney area on my back. I would return to doctor to ask if there is anything else which could help your daughter due to where the rash is! Its terrible to see our children in such pain and i really hope she recovers quickly. I have gabapentine from my doctor and codine phosphate tablets. Xxx

• Posted

zoverax (i may have misspelled that) is a cream for that area plus she needs valtrex at 500 mg at least twice a day the genital cream really works they have a generic brand which works the same i recommend that one due to price rest is big. ice and heat help. good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.