16 days after my foot broke I'm in more pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I broke my ankle and heel 16 days ago my hospital just wrapped it in cotton padding and a stretchy bandage till my hospital appointment 7 days later where they casted me... I was due at the hospital 7 days after that but I'm snowed in... 2 days later (now) I'm in much more pain then I think I should be... it felt like my swollen went down but now it feels swollen again

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorraine 

Are you scheduled for surgery to fix youir ankle? Do you know what type of fracture it was? It sounds like you should have had surgery by now. Some pain and swelling is normal. (I’m four weeks in from ORIF surgery after a tib and fib fracture and I still get pain and swelling when I move around) 

Try to keep your ankle elevated as much as possible and take painkillers as needed but not anti-inflammatories. If you still have pain with elevation then you probably need to go back to the Ortho clinic 

• Posted

it's broke at the heel and the knobbly bit on the outside of my right ankle not been told I need surgery hun... was told I need to go back to the fracture clinic in a week from me being casted... but have been snowed in

• Posted

you have my sympathy on both counts. I too am snowed in but at 9 wks post break, I am happier about the ankle. (well sort of) Can you phone the fracture clinic for advice? re pain...panadol or paracetomol better than aspirin or ibruprofen as the two latter ones inhibit bone healing. Can you wiggle your toes? How swollen do toes look? These are the things you need to tell the fracture clinic. Hope you can get some proper medical advice soon, in meantime, rest and elevate
  • Posted

Lorraine,

Sorry about your busted ankle. I'm even more sorry you did not receive prompt and full treatment quickly.

With a fractured heal and malleolus (the 'ankle bone'' that projects out from your ankle) you need more than some cotton and a 'stretchy bandage' to protect and immobilize the broken bones for 7 days (but maybe that is how they do it in UK but here you are more likely to placed in an air boot, or CAM).

I assume while you were at hospital they did x-rays and they showed no displacement of fractures-- that's good because you avoid the perils and pitfalls of surgery.

Good luck to you and please do use this forum as a springboard for a successful recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.