16 days in

Posted , 7 users are following.

I broke my ankle on August 12. Had it in a splint for 10 days and now in a cast. Opted against surgery. Any general advise for me? I am a young senior female and find crutches hard to use. I want to heal as quickly as possible as I am pretty much stuck upstairs in my bedroom 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Did they suggest surgery? I broke my ankle on 11/13/16 and had two surgeries. I'm doing well now but it's a long recovery.  I had a very bad break. I think it depends on how bad the break is. 

I hated crutches so I got a scooter which was a Godsend. 

My advice, especially if you didn't have surgery? Don't rush it. Take it slow, don't push yourself at this point. If you overdo it you'll be in worse shape than now. 

PATIENCE is the key. Very hard for me! But you'll get through!! 

Can you go to physical therapy? Or have someone come to the house? 

• Posted

I am too old to go anything but slowly LOL. I am being well looked after by family but I hate the loss of independence and from what I am reading this will take much longer to heal than I thought.  

My md did suggest surgery as the bone is slightly displaced, but he indicated that it would not hasten recovery time and there are risks either way. Given my age and he fact that I am not athletic in the least, I felt it best to avoid more intrusive measures given the choice. I have a spiral weber b fracture

• Posted

What bone(s) did you break? I broke my ankle and fibula in June 2015. I originally opted to forego surgery. That was a mistake that cost me three months of recovery time. In October, I switched doctors and went in for surgery. In January, 2016, I was finally able to hobble w/o a cane. In Jan 2017, I was finally able to confidently walk without looking to see how and where I would place my foot. It's been a very long road back.

• Posted

I didn't opt for surgery and I hope that was the right decision. I smashed my elbow and  arm about 7 years ago and had to have surgery (really bad)  and between the anesthetic, hospital stay and wound care, I felt that as long as I had a choice I will risk it. I hope unlike your experience, it will turn out to be the right one. That's why  I am worried...I just want it to heal well and quickly. 

• Posted

I had to buy a wheelchair and used it until I could weightbear then switched to crutches. Chair was good because It reduced risk of falling. Gave me hands free. helped going out to dr and appoint it also gave me a moveable to lean on getting in and out of shower. So full showering independence. I still used it even after weigh bearing in bathroom foe support.  I'm so grateful nobody could see the bathroom antics of me getting in and out of shower. I laughed at myself a few times when I wasn't being angry at myself. 

• Posted

I will get a walker for sure cause I actually fell with the crutches. Unfortunately I am up stairs where the shower and TV are. We have no banisters so getting downstairs is a total exhausting ordeal. The area is small for a scooter or wheelchair, although the wheelchair idea really appeals because I could use it for support better than crutches.  We're you able to use the chair to help lift yourself up from a sitting position.  I would love a stable move able object to lean On! 

• Posted

I too was scared of crutches so I used a walker with wheels and a seat.
  • Posted

The wheelchair was great as a standing support. Just remember to put brakes on. Was a great investment. I work from home so if swelling gets too bad it's a great option. Our house is single floor home. Luckily we have only ever bought houses that are disability friendly. In my young days I saw many frustrated elderly who couldn't live in their own home. And hubby worked disability services and all nursing practices were in nursing homes. My daughters friend was wheelchair bound and very restricted in where he could go.my brother only has one leg so we learnt very young about living vulnerablliy. Preparing for independent old age. 

• Posted

Thanks Jenni .... a bungalow would be ideal... would love to sell and move to an apartment but my hubby loves our townhouse. Still as we are in our 60s  we need to elderly proof for Sure! 
  • Posted

Crutches were out for me as well. I bought a knee scooter from (the one with the larger wheels) and only use crutches to get from the front seat to the back of my car. It has been a life saver for the past 2 months. Actually living life with my kids. NNot gonna lie, you knee starts to feel it after a while of not being used to having pressure on it this much, but I'll take it over crutches and being unable to go anywhere

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Zelda,

It's so good to hear you opted out of ankle surgery. What a relief-- while surgery is sometimes necessary it is very invasive and brings its own problems besides.

My orthopedist suggested surgery might be necessary after my ankle/sprain (bimalleolar fracture right ankle) because of bone displacement. I told him I would wait and see (in a CAM boot). His x-rays revealed over time that my fracture had healed beautifully and displacement was gone. What a wonderful feeling to dodge that bullet.

Your healing journey will be unique as it is for everyone here, but there are some general tips and guidelines to getting back to normal without a lot of drama or upsets along the way.

Your doctor's ankle x-ray images will tell the tale over time as to how well and fast your bones are mending. Usually bones knit enough for weight-bearing in 6-8 weeks (but your mileage may vary depending on age, health, and location/severity of breaks). But broken bones continue to knit and remodel their structure for months or even years later-- that's nature's method.

Beware that nicotine, excessive caffeine, and some pharma drugs can interfere with and prolong healing process. A nutritious diet rich in nutrients known to aid in healing bones and tissues is recommended, as is avoiding sugar and junk food that can foster inflammation-- last thing you want right now.

When you get into the moon boot (air cast, air boot, etc.) ask your physician when you can safely start ankle exercises (non-weight-bearing, of course). The sooner you get working on range of motion and stretching inactive (and possibly damaged) ankle soft tissue like muscles, ligaments, and tendons the better off you will be in long run.

Don't forget even-up shoe attachment when you start weight-bearing activity (walking). It could save you unnecessary pain and frustration.

Depending on how quickly the bones are mending, your practitioner will probably start you walking at partial weight-bearing first-- it's easier on ankle to transition to full weight bearing. This is where crutches or a walker are essential to gauge weight properly. By the way, I was afraid of crutches too until I learned how to use them correctly (secret is to put most weight and control on hand holds-- not the shoulder/armpits.)

Initial ankle pain and swelling are par for the course for many patients. Avoid narcotics if you can, and icing and elevation can alleviate pain and swelling. Be prepared for unusual sensations down there too-- at times it may feel like torture. On the other hand, you may get off lightly like I did with virtually no pain and little/no swelling (with exception of an injured post tibial tendon that gave me problems).

When you are ready, doctor should recommend physiotherapy to rehab your ankle ASAP. If you're like me and want to DIY there is a ton of information and resources on web. Don't neglect ankle rehab exercises-- they could make difference in some patients between a full recovery and future ankle disability. I don't want to unduly alarm you, but this forum has seen unfortunate ankle victims that later go back for surgery after surgery to try to fix ankles that never completely healed.

I'm sure you will do fine. Yes, ankle fractures are no fun and are challenging to get over, but you will get your ankle back. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Wow... thanks for all this info

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.