16 days post op rectocele

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi

I am now 16 days post rectocele repair. Things have been fairly straight forward. Coping with paracetamol and ibuprofen.  Been resting and having an hourly walk round house. Finding it painful to sit upright so made a nest with a body pillow giving me an angled position to help take pressure off. I have been getting these really sharp stabbing pains which I am assuming to do with stitches? Today though I stood a little longer in the kitchen chatting to husband while he made dinner, tonight it feels quite hot and swollen down there. Will this be anything to worry about or just a bit much to soon?

Thanks  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am 3.5 week’s post A & P repair.  I’ve had the stabbing pains too in the second and third week post-op. Not all the time but every so often.  In addition, 2 days ago I had bleeding for a few hours.   I’m a worried but don’t see my doctor until Friday so I’m trying to manage my anxiety. Anyone had these symptoms and were ok?

• Posted

Hi Restless

I only had small amount of bleeding the first 3/4 days so far. In fairness I have been surprised how ok I have felt until yesterday. Like you the sharp stabbing pains have been random not constant. I feel exhausted this morning after shower. Swelling still obvious as well.

My consultant said she would see me in 4 - 6 months but discharge letter said no follow up. After my first week of self certification the sick line from my dr also saying they won't need to see me! I will call them if things get worse.

Hope what is happening to you now is just part of healing and nothing serious.

Thanks for reply.

• Posted

Hi, I’m now 18 days, post recto repair and hysterectomy. I had no pain until day 5, then had about 5 days of discomfort, not enough for meds, but had me resting more. Last few days I’ve had stabbing and a little more blood now and then. From Facebook forum posts, seems to be normal, part of healing process. I’m feeling good today and was yesterday too, started to up my walks and activity a bit, but taking things easy too. 
    • Posted

thanks for responding.  I was able to push up my appointment to tomorrow so hopefully I’ll get some reassurance.  I go back to work next week and, based on how I feel now, I don’t know how I’m going to make it. 
    • Posted

Can you ask for more time off? I was automatically signed off for 6 weeks. Having said that, I’m quite confident that I’ll be feeling good by the end of the week, so could do my desk job, albeit it is part time. I’m going to take the 6 weeks though as it is fully paid and I haven’t been off work in 11 years! 
    • Posted

Hi Laurie

Thanks for replying. Put my mind at ease.

I had my hysterectomy in 2016. That was a killer compared to this. I had prepared myself for 12 weeks off. Got an 8 week sick line and think that actually might be enough. I have a demanding, heavy handling job so might change my mind depending on how it goes.

Thanks

• Posted

I had an A&P repair and bladder sling about 4 weeks ago.  I have noticed the stabbing kind of pains at the end of the day if I have been up walking or standing a lot. An ice pack down there is helpful. I was taking Percocet for about two weeks but now just take ibuprofen.   I have been using the ice pack every day.    Normally, I work as a staff nurse on a busy cardiac unit-12 hour shifts.  When I am not at work, I am sitting at a table doing research and writing for classes. I'm in school also. Sometime in between, I cook and clean and do laundry.  I'm afraid I had not been exercising much due to time constraints. And now that I have some time, I can't do a whole lot because of surgery. I had been getting up every one to two hours and walking a few laps around the house outside.   I will be off work for a total of 6 weeks.  I try to do my schoolwork in the recliner with my legs up so I can keep some pressure off and move a little more than a straight chair allows. I am just so tired all the time.  Part of it may be a little depression from not being able to do what I usually do and the constant discomfort.  It really is kind of like achy menstrual cramps down there.  Constipation has always been a problem with me, so I make sure to take stool softeners and I have had to take Milk of Magnesia or a suppository.  I am praying that I feel a BUNCH better in the next two weeks because right now I am exhausted after being at church for 3 and a half hours.  I am thrilled, thrilled, thrilled to be able to sneeze or cough or walk quickly across the street without wetting myself.  That is pretty exciting.  And bowel movements are easier.  I used to feel like I never really emptied my bowels or my bladder completely, probably because I didn't.  I had no idea that I had prolapse.  So, I know it will be worth it. I had stopped exercising strenuously partly due to the incontinence.  I look forward to being able to get back to it.  Waiting is not my specialty.  

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth

That is me just over the 4 weeks now as well. I asked another question at 23 days as well about spotting and swelling. Got bit of a fright as having a TVH in 2016 I knew it wasn't a period. Was reassured it all part of healing and should still remember taking it easy. Was going to call doctor tomorrow as swelling been quite bad today. Noticed it appears after BM. I have trouble with this too. Also taking medication. Today I bent over for first time so maybe that caused it to be bad. I am a support worker so am on feet a lot and lots of heavy work can be involved. In Scotland we are covered self certificate for first week off and I got a sick line for another 8 weeks from doctor so there no rush for me. Like you been walking round house. Was going to take a short walk to shops today but when swelling started I decided better not. Usually swelling only lasts hour or two but I have had it all day today with no let up from paracetomal and ibuprofen. Don't want to take codiene based meds as they will cause constipation. An ice pack seems a good idea.

Thanks again for reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.