16 October 2014 Bunion Surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am about to have bunion surgery in both my feet following a recent consultation. The surgeon I saw said both toes would be broken etc and explained the procedure and if my feet were his he would get the pop done. The recover time given was 2  to 4 weeks and that if it was him he would be back in work in 10 days. Regards me I play a lot of football he said I should be playing football again in 9 to 12 weeks? Is my surgeon the best in the world? Because all I seem to read are stories of pain? Has anybody got any good news about this operation . Many thanks PHilip 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, yes I Would definitely have booth feet done reasons behind that are clear one recovery period having had my feet done separately I see the advantage as for the rest ( and I do not mean to disrespect your surgeon) quite frankly  the most polite wards I can think to say about the rest of his comments are it's most unlikely!

PS sorry I don't mean to be negative ,BUT!

• Posted

Hi - thanks for your comments - so I take it I am in for a bit of pain? He as also said he could get me full movement back in my big toes ie 60% not 30% as they are now - how long was your recovery and are you glad you had the operations - Philip 
    • Posted

The first procedure I have on left foot I needed because the big toe was so out of ailment it was deforming the toes next to

The second  op was simpler but it proving more painful if you wish read my thread  

• Posted

I had both feet operated on for bunion removal in January this year and my surgeon was probably more realistic in her expectations of recovery.  I wasn't allowed to move much at all for 2 weeks, then gradually mobilised with special shoes and crutches over the next 4 weeks or so, until at my 6 weeks post-op check I was told everything was starting to settle and I could drive again.  However!...... I actually didn't manage to drive until another 4 weeks had passed mainly because my "clutch" foot was too painful and I didn't feel safe.

Now all these months later I am fine - still have aches in my feet if I am on them too much but have learned to build in some rest times into my days and make sure my shoes are the most comfortable ones I can find.   Good luck but don't worry if things take longer to settle than you may be expecting.  I was told full recovery takes a year, and I think that is about right!

• Posted

Hi Anne - I have had foot pain for a few years but the last two have been worst - mainly though when I play sport - I still want to play sport - but if I give up sport I could probably reduce the foot pain that way . I suppose my question is how much pain has it relieved having this operation - would you class it as a success - at present it's making me feel very sick at the thought of it ? 
  • Posted

Islam,  

good ode idea to have them done but your surgeon  sounds a bit optimistic to me.

• Posted

Hi irlam14,

I would defo have both done I have, I'm 30 years old the only day I felt awful was the second day, I am now nearly four weeks post op and feel great feel I would go back to work aalthough I know my consultant say no I think around 8 to 10 weeks recover time although everyone different

• Posted

I have beentold also a year to fully be pain free, just make sure u rest
  • Posted

Hi, i had surgery two days ago. I had my left foot operated hallux valgus and two hammertoes. It was a scarf atkin surgery.  No pain at all ( thanks to the paracetamol and ibuprofen). I can walk a little bit, on a special shoe, using one crutch. For 90 % of the time i keep my foot elevated. My surgeon says also that i can do my job (a standing job) after 8 weeks. I am feeling really good almost no swelling and my foot seems very good. So i hope this will help you. 
  • Posted

hi again.   I had pain in my left foot for several years prior to the operation, and since the op I have had none!   At my first consultation the surgeon could see that I was walking without putting my foot to the floor properly - due to the bunion pushing my whole foot out of alignment.... which meant that my ankle sort of turned as I walked and became very painful.   This has been corrected since the op.  My left foot was not as painful before the operation and in fact I was tempted to leave that one along, but when the op was performed, the surgeon discovered I had a cyst on the bone so no doubt that would have caused me some problems at a later stage.  All in all I am glad I had the operation, and hope you will be glad too.  Please make sure you take time to recover and just get plenty of books, dvds, etc. to help pass the time in the first few weeks!
  • Posted

Sorry, in my haste to reply, I meant to say the left foot was painful pre-op and the right one wasn't.   Seem to have put left one each time!
  • Posted

Depends on which procedure he/she will use ie- scraf, austin lapidus.....  If I did it over I would do both at once but get a wheelchair/scooter so you can get around, ie- to bathroom, to make a sandwich, to go outside for air.  Best if you have somebody to take care of you for the first 1-2 weeks.  My pain wasn't bad as long as I kept my foot elevated above my heart and iced the foot/ankle/whereever I could depending on my foot covering.  A lot depends on which procedure your surgeon uses also.  Some people are in casts, some in boots with ace bandage and suture cover.  Some people are no weight bearing, some are partial weight bearing and for how long...?  Find out what procedure the Dr plans to use; research the boards on patients where that procedure was used and read the remarks.  Then you will be more prepared to decide what to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.