16 weeks after my second misfoot fusion with bone graph and it still isn't fused....

Posted , 4 users are following.

Long story short my foot pain started in 2012. First dr wanted me to wear inserts. Got a second opinion and that dr said it was mortons neuroma. He gave me shots. When that didn't work he went in and took out the nerve. I was in a boot for 8 weeks. After taking the boot off things seemed better for a couple of months. Then the pain returned.  I walked on it for a long time just hoping it would go away on its own.  In 2015 my knee on the same leg also started hurting severely so I decided it was time to see a dr. I went to a different dr because the one who do the nerve surgery just blew me off when I tried to see him again for the pain. So I had X-rays and an MRI on my knee and foot. Found that I have grade 4 cartlidge loss in my knee with bone spurs that are fished into my knee cap.  Also discovered that I had athritis and a hair line fracture in my left foot on my 4th and 5th toe bone where it's meets the middle section of the foot. Idk all the fancy names so bare with me lol. So he put me in a boot for 8weeks and sent me to therapy for my knee.  Therapy and lossing weight helped my knee tremendously but the boot had not helped my foot. So this dr sent me to another dr in the same clinic who specializes on feet.  After seeing him he talked over my options with me. What was happening was my 4th and 5th bones were literally grinding each other every step I took. He said we can do shots, we can go back to the boot but I know you have suffered for years for this so I will also recommend surgery. He would go in and fuse those two bones together so they would grow as one. After discussing and thinking about it I decided that I would do the surgery because nothing else has worked. So June 2017 I went in for my first fusion. He placed 2 staples in the bone. At my 4wk app he told me I could start applying Light weight so I did. As the weeks went on I put a little more weight each time. After 8wks I returned back to work part time which was house cleaning. Well around 12wks I lost my balance at my dads house and laid on my foot. When I went back for my check up I had broke a staple yes an 18mm titanium staple broke. And the bone had stopped fusing. He mentioned using a bone stimulator but he wanted a cat scan done first. Well after the Ct scan was done he said my only option was to redo the entire fusion this time with a bone graph. I was devastated but I the pain was so much worse so I had no choice. I went in Dec 22 2017 for my second fusion.  I am know 17 weeks out almost and my bone has again stopped fusing. I haven't walked on my foot but very tiny steps in 17wks. Completely crutch bound. He has order me an exogen bone stimulator to try. It's been 3wks and my insurance has yet to approve it. I have to wear it for 4-6wks at minimum to even see if it's helping. So I'm still looking at 2mths of no walking. I'm just praying the insurance hurrys and approves it so I can get started.  And I pray it works because idk if I can survive a 3rd surgery...... thanks to anyone who reads this I just needed to share my struggles.  I apologize for any  misspelled words also. Hard to check it on my phone. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello

I haven’t had foot fusion, but I do have collapsed arches and wear an orthothic. Nothing compares to have the inability to walk comfortably, so I can sympathize.

Just stay strong and remember the mind is stronger then the body.  You’ll get walking soon smile

Good  luck!! 

• Posted

Hi Karrie

I’m so sorry to hear all what you’ve been going through. It’s awful that the bone fusion has failed twice now, plus of course all the pain you’ve been going through. You make me feel so lucky that I live in the UK so don’t have to worry about insurance to pay for treatment!

I’m 11 weeks post surgery for tarsometatarsal bone fusion of my 1st, 2nd and 3rd tarsometatarsals. Thankfully all is going well, although my foot is very painful but that’s to be expected. I’m starting a phased return to work on Monday, which I’m not looking forward to but I can’t stay at home forever. That’s when it’s really going to get tough, not just on my foot of course, but on my general stamina as I’ve spent 2 and a half months of doing very little so need to build up again. I’m sure you’re experiencing the same. 

Anyway, as I said, I really feel for you, and feel free to vent as much as you like!

• Posted

Thank you!!! I'm glad to hear you are healing good!!! I'll pray that your return to work goes smoothly!  

I have read that the 5th metatarsal has less blood flow than the rest of the foot so this could be why my healing is not going well. I don't know. Also could be from me having osteoporosis.  I just keep praying for a complete recovery this time!! All I can do!  

Yes it's been very hard on me. I haven't worked in almost a year.  Before this I cleaned house and was very active. I'm a big walker and hiker.  I also enjoy everything outdoors so being stuck pretty much inside has been such a struggle.  Thankfully we are having some nicer weather so I can sit on my porch some. 😊

• Posted

Hi Karrie

Just wondering how you’re doing?

• Posted

Thank you for asking. I finally got the machine in after 4wks of fighting insurance.  Did my first treatment yesterday. It does not hurt to do them but I woke up in severe pain last night. I can only assume it's from it being kick started to grow again. I have sharp pains on and off.  And my knee is wore out from carting this cast around but I'm trying to stay strong. I go back for a new cast and X-ray next Wednesday so I should get a time frame on how much longer I'll be nwb.  

• Posted

Just wanted to give an update. I am at 6 months after surgery.  My last dr visit was June 16th. He let me take the air cast off and return to my shoe again and requested physical therapy. I’ve been doing therapy for 5 weeks now and my foot is still is such intense pain.  I can’t do any of my exercises without a lot of pain.  My therapist hopes it will subside after a little while but I’m starting to loose hope. I have read that sometimes the hardware that was placed in the foot has to be removed. If anyone has had to get that done I’d love to hear how they determined that’s what needed to be done. I dread waking up every morning and having to get out of bed because the pain is so bad. I don’t go see my dr again until the 27th.  Praying he has answer for me then and that is doesn’t require more surgeries.  

Thank you all for reading

Hope you have a great week! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.