16 weeks post ankle peroneal tendon reattachment, still feels unstable.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Torn Brevis tendon reattached to peroneal tendon right on ankle. 6 weeks hard cast, 3 weeks soft but non weight bearing for 9 weeks. Took 3 weeks to drop walking aides & able to drive. Commenced physio 4 weeks ago. Now moving to more walking, single leg stands (can only do holding on), & theraband exercises. In ASO foot brace only for walking. Told bike riding is good.

I am now 16 weeks post surgery and ankle is still swollen with difficulty wearing closed shoes and the foot feels same as prior surgery unstable.

Surgeon says many months recovery to go.

Is this normal and will my foot feel stable again? Struggling to walk the 1 km I need to get to/from work.

cheers. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi..like to refer people to this face book group..you can more advice, questions answered and support there. It’s called Broken Ankle/Foot/ Leg Recovery- On a Quest To Normal..Good Luck
  • Posted

Hi Sumrheat, 

I had the same as you. Operated on Nov 13th. Still having a hard time walking. I can walk but not far with out much pain.  I was in my splint cast for 2 weeks/ hard cast one for 2 weeks, hard cast 2 for 3 weeks less a few days. Saw my doc and he asked me to stand on the ankle.   Hurt quite a bit. I do the resistant bands at home 3 to 4 times a day/ gas peddle pushes and stand and go up and down. I have  not tried single leg stands, maybe I will try that tonight. 

I still swell. As a matter of fact I went out today , went in 3 stores and had to come home and rest for 2 hours or so.  I was told six months of recovery at least to know where I'll be . which is tough on anyone! 

You will feel normal as you go. Get strength back. I am feeling much stronger. At home I'm super women because of course I can sit anytime I want, but out and about not there yet!

?Good luck to you!

Rose

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.