16 weeks post TKR - pockets of fluid on the knee

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all

I have had a real slow recovery - but getting there. However, my knee is still incomfortable, & I have 3 swelling areas, on the sensitive side of my replaced knee. I had to see my GP yesterday for another matter, & he asked to see the knee - he said I had to make an appointment for 4 weeks time, & if the fluid swellings were still there, he'd like me to go back & see the consultant. Does anyone ele have this problem? Do they do anything about it? 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Veronica. I am about the same stage as you and my knee is still swollen on the outside. Even my osteopath hasn't got rid of it with lymph massage.  I'm not worrying because although there is still some discomfort the pai nof  pre op has gone. I think the swelling will go eventually , it's still early days relatively. 
    • Posted

Thanks Carol. I've had a rotten time with it, & can't bear the thought of going back to see the surgeon! Mine are 3 definate swellings, not one swollen knee, like 3" lumps.
    • Posted

Soft. If I press my hand down, it leaves a white mark. It's on the side of my knee which is extremely sensitive. The other side, has gone back to normal (whatever that is!).
    • Posted

It sounds like  fluid and a good lymph drain should do it.Mine is still rock hard and I have realised that I'm now about 22 weeks post op. Best to do as your doctor suggests but there's probably no need to worry.
  • Posted

Hi Veronica, I'm 14 weeks and I have swelling on the inside of knee above and below knee, dr doesn't seem to worry yet but I am. I think with the swelling my bend is only at 95, anyone else have trouble bending because of swelling?
    • Posted

Yes, I have had trouble bending from the start. It's still only 95 & the physio commented last week (I have now had all my sessions) that it was the fluid causing the excess pain & trouble bending. The GP made my appointment yesterday with him for 4 weeks time (having bp trouble) so perhaps it is best if he does make me go back to the consultant!
    • Posted

I have a swollen puff on the bottom inside and I can't get the bend past 92-95 and I think that's the reason. I'm 11 wks post op today. I see my surgeon on mon for a clearance for work. I'll see then what he says about it. Veronica, sometimes all they have to do is drain the fluid with a needle and its painless and its fine after. Don't worry about it. We all seem to rush our recovery, but it takes a long time for the body to adjust to the foreign object. Sometimes it takes a year. 
    • Posted

I suppose i shall just have to wait these 4 weeks & see what happens then. I never ever thought it would be this bad, with so many post-operative problems. Thank goodness for this forum!
    • Posted

Hi, I'm at 13 wks now and my bend won't bend because of my swelling. I'm stuck at 82 degrees. I have a lot of old scar tissue and surgeon seems to think this is holding my swelling in place. In turn, I'm booked in for a manipulation on the 2nd March. I'll let you know how I get on!

It never ends 😞

• Posted

I am 4 1/2 months post TKR and my knee is still very swollen, Slowly going down so I know there is hope.
    • Posted

Thanks for that Suzy - I certainly came into this operation with my eyes closed - I never thought I would have so much pain & trouble! Because one side of the knee is very sensitive, the side with the swellings, I dislike touching it - but I'm forcing myself to cream it, & the physio mentioned "brushing" it too - it could take a year though, (she said) for the swelling to go. I hate putting tights on, as I hate anything touching it. 
  • Posted

Hi Veronica, I am 5 months post op and my knee is still swollen but I know it will eventually go down. It does mean my bend is not brilliant but I can go up and down stairs properly and also straighten it totally. Today I managed to get on the floor to look for a mouse under the sofa and got back up again, so definitely some progress.  I think everyone is different and some peoples swelling takes longer to go down. I never expected. Quick recovery as when I had an arthroscopy  years ago it took about 6 months for the swelling to go down and that was only keyhole.
    • Posted

Goodness - did you find the mouse! At 16 weeks, I still cannot go up the stairs properly  & coming down is 100% out of the question. I had arthroscopies 6 weeks apart some 10 years ago on my knees, & had no problems at all, so this operation, & the past 16 weeks, have been like living in a nightmare!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.