16 y/o male (worried + unsure on what to do)

Posted , 5 users are following.

My symptoms -

1.Rectal Bleeding (they seemed to have stopped for now)

2. Narrow stools

3. Weight loss  [134 lbs (61 kg) to 130 lbs (59 kg)]

4. Having trouble waking up despite getting 7+ hours of sleep

I've been suffering these symptoms for the past month now. Should I worry too much? Is this common and normal for someone my age? Please let me know.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Very unlikely to be bowel cancer at 16 but all the things you mentioned above are reason enough to see a doctor.
  • Posted

Please get a colonoscopy. These symptoms aren't normal. However it is very unlikely you have bowel cancer at 16 years old. It could be IBD which can cause rectal bleeding and weight loss (which are the most worrisome symptoms for people suspecting bowel cancer). My classmate in high school had it so teenagers can get it.

• Posted

Jul I agree definitely see a doctor but your weight loss for concern by rule of thumb is 10 percent of your body weight in a month so hopefully this eases your mind but the other symptoms are cause for concern so definitely get it checked out
  • Posted

I had all the same symptoms and at the exact same age.  You should see a doctor and ask for a referral to the GI.  Make sure to let them know that you're seeing blood.  As soon as I told them I got a stool test done, which is probably what you'll have as well, and they send me for a colonoscopy which turned out normal.  You are so young and cancer is incredibly unlikely, but you should still go see a GI just to make sure everything is fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.