16 year old, bowel cancer symptoms. Really nervous

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm a 16 (soon 17) year old male. About a year and a half ago I had some minor rectal bleeding (dark red on top of stool and little drops of bright red on the toilet water). I went to the gastroenterologist and he asked for a blood test, which I didn't do because the bleeding stopped (I'm regreting this a lot). A week ago, I saw blood in my stool again, just like the last time. It lasted for 2-3 days and it stopped, but now I have abdominal bloating, mild pain usually in the right area-lower back constipation (hard to pass stool, usually little amounts, I also had pencil-thin stool) and nausea.Also it seems I've lost 4kg in about 2 or 3 weeks.

I have to admit I'm a really nervous person, the past 4 days I've been having panic attacks and extreme anxiety because of the fear of having bowel cancer.

I went to the Gastroenterologist again and she told me not to panic because at my age I shouldn't have anything serious. I have a blood test scheduled for Monday and a colonoscopy and endoscopy in 10 days, but I'm so nervous that I can't concentrate on anything I do because I'm constantly thinking that my symptoms match perfectly and I start having panic attacks and I beat myself up for not taking tests when I had bleeding a year and a half ago.

I had an abdominal ultrasound that came out ok, but still I won't be fully relieved until the colonoscopy comes out fine. Until then, life has become really hard. Just don't know what to do.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I can't blame you for feeling that way. I have the same situation last year. Bleeding/abdominal pain/thin stool/bloated and lots of gas... I have done all the test blood/xray/ultrasound/ctscan & colonoscopy and all came out normal.Good that u have scheduled for colonoscopy. Just relax for now and pray to God that all will be fine. Smile your too young but better be checked than sorry. Update me ok
  • Posted

Hi, never panic till the results are in! It's easy to freak but sometimes if it looks like a duck sounds like a duck walks like a duck, it could just be a chicken with a sore throat!

Many a time your kind of bleeding can be a high hemorrohoid.These won't give you any pain but can cause bleeding. You might also have a condition known as bleeding arterovenous malformations. These are little veins and arteries that get tangled up together and just bleed for no reason. Both these conditions are very treatable.

It isn't common in your age group to have bowel cancer (not saying it doesn't happen but it is extremely rare) The narrow stool can be due to being stressed and holding on as you pass stool, or it could be due to the fact you are now having a slow gut due to having hard stools. The intestines need re-training once a person becomes constipated. Often once the constipation is treated bleeding also stops.

You don't mention how much you weigh in the first place, so losing 4kgs may or may not be an issue. If you are overweight then it may be due to stress. If you are very thin again it could be due to stress! But if you have been eating normally and not missing meals, then it can be a concern, but I feel more that you are stressing out and this in itself makes a person lose weight.

The best thing you can do is distract yourself till the colonoscopy. STOP looking at the internet for worse case scenarios. Yep, it's hard not to worry, believe me I have had a million and ten issues with my health. One of them being the same symptoms as you are having now, mine were a high hemorrohoid and the bleeding avm's! It is far more common to have simple issues in the bowel area than cancer. You tend to hear about the cancers because people love a tragedy. NO ONE wants to hear about your bleeding bum, (that's what my sisters said to me! LOL!) but you get my point. Simple issues just don't get up there on the forums or google hits.

Big breaths, go ride a bike, play basketball, Xbox, whatever you can to release that pent up energy of panicking. You'll get through this!

• Posted

Does anyone know what may be the cause of green stool? I just went to the bathroom and the stool was green, mixed with normal brown color. I haven't eaten anything green or lots of vegetables
  • Posted

As someone who has suffered bowel cancer perhaps I could offer a few words that might help.  In my case the cancer was bleeding heavily to the extent that I found that I could not walk very far without running out of breath - there were simply not enough red blood cells to carry the oxygen.  I actually saw the cancer during the coloscopy examination and was surprised by just how much blood was leaking from it.  The point was that there was no apparent bleeding with the stools, it was all included within the stool itself.  Normally this is seen by the faeces having a very dark, even black, colour but as I was taking medicaion for anaemia the colour was already very dark.  The fact that your bleeding is red and with, rather than within, the stools implies that it is more likely to be some other cause, as redwoodgirl has explained, and not cancer. By the way, I lost about 12kg as the cancer took hold!

It is easy to tell you not to panic but I can appreciate that this does not really help when you are going through the problem as you are.  All I would say is that treatments these days are very effective, even for the worst case of bowel cancer.  You are getting all the right tests so trust the professionals to sort it out for you. 

• Posted

The best thing you ever did is that you have started things rolling,it could well be piles. But don't get stressed,you are in good hands. And it's not the end of the world if it is bowel cancer,I doubt it anyway as you are so young. I had bowel cancer last year and I am ok now and enjoy life. Let us know the outcome . Keep you chin up.
  • Posted

Well, my dear, the good news is...time is on your side. I'm sure you are fine, and whatever it is will be detected and handled soon.  I feel confident you do NOT have bowel cancer, but in the small chance you did, it can be cured.  You are very young, so your body can tackle what older folks can't.  Good luck and please let us know the good news when you get it!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.