16 year old needing advice for memory loss

Posted , 3 users are following.

I posted a thread on this forum around a month ago, explaining how I was extremely worried and stressed out about memory loss. I am a hypochondriac and still worry about this to this day, I got two replies from some users telling me it was most definitely caused by stress.

I still have this memory loss, it hasn't gotten worse but it hasn't really gotten better, does anyone have any tips for me to relax and get rid of this annoying brain fog and memory loss?

Thanks!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ben,

Have you seen your doctor for a general check-up and routine blood tests? You're in the right age-group for a viral infection called infectious mononucleosis (more commonly known as glandular fever or "kissing disease"). This famously causes brain fog and general malaise in some young people. You might also be anaemic, which could cause fatigue. Get yourself thoroughly checked out.

Apart from that, I stand by what I said last time - that this is probably down to stress. People your age don't suffer from dementia. However, some of us are chronically absent-minded throughout life, starting in childhood. That was certainly true for me but it hasn't stopped me living a long, healthy life!

And of course, you need to get enough of the right kind of sleep. That means avoiding all use of computers, tablets, iPhones etc. in the last hour or so before going to bed. It's been discovered that the bluish light emitted by these gadgets (especially when used in a darkened room, e.g. when in bed at night) affects the body's production of hormones that bring on health sleep.

Get yourself checked out by a doctor, then try not to worry about it. Many people of your age go through phases like this. You'll eventually grow out of it.

• Posted

Sorry about that annoying smiley suddenly popping up! I'd forgotten this system automatically does that if one types a quotation mark followed by close brackets.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.