Skip to content

Dementia

All discussions in this group

Next
  • nikki27791 3

Brain feels like it has a 'mental block' / slowed thoughts

Hi there I've been recently experiencing more frequent 'attacks' (for want of a better word), whereby I'll be thinking something and my thoughts slow down in the process. They will often slow down so much that it will feel like I am thinking and wading through treacle with the thoughts I am having,...

4 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • lynn37613 2
  • kiarash19398 2

my memory is blank after weight loss...help me

hi . i am male . 24 years old 3 years ago I got 5 months to 30 kg weight with a low carb diet after that i feel my memory and concentrate has become a serious problem my memory was gone after that i went to the Psychiatrist. i have taking meds for 3 years .but My memory is getting worse after taing drugs...

3 replies 2 votes Last reply
  • shannon28594 2

HAVING NO MEMORY OF SOMETHING!

So, last night, apparently I allowed my brother to take my phone charger and I have absolutely no memory of it! I also moved my phone and I also have no memory of that either. I questioned them as to where it was and they told me that I let them take it. I'm really scared, this has never happened to...

1 reply 1 vote Last reply
  • annmarie50088 1

My dad is getting nowhere with his doctor I don't know what to do

We have noticed over the last year my dad 64 is becoming increasingly forgetful we approached him with this and he couldn't see it. He is no longer working due to this as his employer also noted it. An example would be he was making dinner and told us we were all having Stew he went into the kitchen...

5 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • tjrides17 1
  • ann55375 5
  • susan41692 2

Vascular dementia

My mum has vascular dementia for 6 years now she has been on dementia tablets for 6 years and now just been put on tablets they use to stop smoking aparantly it makes your makes the mind  more sharper (she dose not smoke ) it takes a month to get into the system she only started 3days ago is anyone else...

2 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • SusanAUSA 2

MS RRM, severe memory problems, cooking is a problem.

My MS effects my memory to the point that cooking meals is a problem, I forget that I'm cooking. Sometimes when I go to use the bathroom or if the dog distracts me. Sometimes I leave the gas stove on. I am worried I will cause a fire. I never cook if no one is home but now my friend, my roommate and...

1 reply 0 votes Last reply
  • mary68032 1

Too much sleep.

Iam feeling sleepy all the time finding it really hard to deal with but do not know how to deal with it.

3 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Leatherneck 2
  • heather83390 2

mum

hi my mum has dementia and is quite bad with her short term memory the problem i have is with my 2 brothers that don,t think any things wrong with her as they do not see her every day like i do and it doesnt help when she is telling them that i am demanding money off her and telling all the neighbours...

4 replies 2 votes Last reply
  • william123 1

Capacity and MMSE.

My mother, aged 96 was at home until just before she died. Blind, deaf, incontinent, cancer....unable to recognise her home or locate her bedroom. Broken arm and Broken neck , at High Falls Risk......... " must be supervised at all times when standing" Acute and chronic confusion and known dementia....

1 reply 1 vote Last reply
  • hannah60655 2

Scarred I'm losing my memory

This past month I have been very forgetful. I don't know how to describe if but it's like my mind will go blank and I won't remember soemthign I was going to do or something I was going to say. It feels it's happening more often now then before. I suffer from anxiety to so I don't know if I'm blowing...

3 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • alicia15429 1

My Technology Idea for Dementia patients

I'm studying at University and our current brief is to make any digital product, so I'd like to make a tablet that: Has a 'sleep mode' screen that shows the Day, date, time and year. The tablet vocally tells you this every hour on the hour. The background changes with the time of day (goes from light...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • brian75466 1

Really fed up of dad being in hospital

Just a wee thought, my dad has been in hospital for a few weeks and has been diagnosed with dementia, we are waiting on him being discharged and placed in a care home, he's no too good. dunno how hospital, care etc works but forecast for a good day weather wise tomorrow and was wondering as he is in...

• neville79844 3

Early onset Alzheimer's???

I am male almost 62 years old I find I cvan't rember dates and times of things I have to do. I like in Plymouth Devon UK what advice can anyone give please? Neville

• elle127 3

Advice needed please

My husband showed signs of memory problems and had a memory assessment at the memory clinic. He did very well and the nurse said it may just be mild cognitive problems. The consultant has checked hubbys CT scan and suggested hubby has an MRI scan as the CT scan wasnt clear so he couldnt make a diagnosis...

15 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • julie26723 1

How should I be feeling?

My lovely Dad is 88 years old and for the past 3 years has been suffering from dementia. My Mum is 85 and has finally admitted that she cannot cope with Dad anymore and with the help of my family (I am one of 3 sisters) made the heartbreaking decision to have him placed in a care home where his needs...

34 replies 8 votes Last reply
  • carl46791 2

Getting worried??

Hello everyone, i hope things are ok. I would like to share my worries about my dad. He is 66 years old, looks and moves younger than his age but has diabetes. In the last 4/5 months i have noticed little changes in him. He forgets to turn lights off, flush the loo, consantration a little lacking somtmes...

• angela09284 1

Continuing health care

We have ben asked to a meeting with CCG  the social worker has put mum forward for continuing health care when she leaves hospital. I have been asked to do a written statement to present at the meeting about my mums vascular dementia but I dont know what to write.  I am not clinically trained & but I...

3 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • shannon28594 2

Can't remember things!!

Recently I've been noticing that I appear to have minute gaps in my memory, such as not remembering my mum asking me to do something, but she's adamant that I did it. Or not recalling posting something, but it was clearly there. And recently, I brought something to my room to eat, but when I finally...

• suehenry77 1

I am looking for advice about dementia with confabulation.

My mom suffered a brain anyeism 2 yrs ago. She is in nursing home. She is wheel chair bound. She knows us, but she makes up some really out there things. For example: she told me my brother was murdered and they cut off his penis and hands. It is not true. She refuses to believe she can't walk. And...

• nikki27791 3

Scary amnesia / fugue-type episode

Hi everyone I'm not sure this is the right forum to post this, and perhaps it belongs elsewhere, but I'll post it anyway. Yesterday, I woke up after having about 5 hours sleep. Nothing unusual there, except that I literally felt like my entire memory / knowledge and perception of life/the world/everything...

• elsie40782 1

I did not know young people could get Dementia

I have just been reading and listened to the blog/podcast By Ronnie on the BBC blog site I did not know that young people can get Dementia. I would recommend anyone to read the blog and add a comment We need lots more young people with dementia to do as Ronnie is doing - talk about their situation, be...

4 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • lynn89247 1

Depressed after leaving mum in a care home!

10 weeks ago my mum fell in the street and broke her hip. Till this point she was totally independent and at 87 very Spritely. She was admitted to hospital and operated on the next morning, that's when all our lives changed. My mum came though the operation very well but when I visited her that evening...

3 replies 1 vote Last reply
  • Deedee73 1

Mrs

My father is in hospital he has vascular dementia and has had another stroke. He is being risk fed as he has contracted pneumonia. He is currently sitting up and although very confused he is smiling and pulling funny faces. He has been in hospital 7wks and this is the first time in 4 wks he is so alert,sat...

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • mike09523 5

vascular dementia

Hi, I have been diagnosed with cervical stenosis with spondylosis and myolepathy at levels C4,5,6 and 7 in 2013. After various strange symptoms with my memory and actions I have been told that, subject to mri, may have vascular dementia, due to spinal cord impingement cutting blood/oxygen supplies...

6 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • Leatherneck 2

Sleep Apnea

My my name is Arnold I am Veteran have Sleep Apnea I started off using Provents then I go a cap machine it's okay but I still wake up their ....I come from Arizona.

0 replies 0 votes Posted
  • ajconcerned 1

Dementia nightmare or 'just me'?

This is a very upsetting post to make but I am lost to know what to do.  Three years ago an elderly friend of mine was placed in a dementia special housing unit which does not allow pateients to leave the building. She had an infection and was disorientated. In a weeks time she was ok again but the...

• dee53012 6

Poor Memory and Celiacs

I've had memory troubles since I was a child, was tired all the time, and didn't do well in school.  I am in my mid 50's now; 15 months ago, I found out I have celiacs. Since stopping eating gluten, my memory is slowly getting sharper. I'd be courious if anyone out here has had the same experience, or...

• pat11500 4

Mild dementia

My 89 year old Mum has just been diagnosed with mild dementia. She was given Donepezil tablets and within half an hour of taking her first one had a very bad bout of diarrhoea. I called her Doctor and she is now getting patches. I know there are a lot of side effects. My concern is that if the patches...

5 replies 0 votes Last reply
  • neville79844 3
  • lily65668 6
  • danny76668 2

23 year old male memory loss for years

When I was 8yr old I had a big rock dropped on my head in school. I don't remember anything prior to that or the event's of that day. I have had other hits on the head including a biking accident 7yrs ago, flying over the handlebars with no helmet, had swelling on the right side of my face but that's...

6 replies 0 votes Last reply
Back to top Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.