Skip to content

Dementia

Also known as Memory Loss

All discussions in this group

Next
  • New symptoms of vascular dementia

My husband was diagnosed with vasculer dementia 2 and half years ago, up till now he hasn't been to bad, mainly consentration and working things out from instructions and slight memory loss. But the last 4-5 months he has physicaly gone down hill, his mobility is very bad, he used to love …

Last reply
  • Neurological Symptoms

My husband has finally opened up to me about the new neurological symptoms he's been having over the last year, some symptoms the last 2 years. After he told our daughter in law and myself we told him we began to notice symptoms a couple months ago. Here is a list of symptoms he's been …

Last reply
  • I've symptoms neurological symptoms for months

The last few months I've noticed some additional symptoms I've been having more then usual. I'm a 64-year old make. I've had multiple Ischemic Thrombosis & Lacunar Strokes, I've been diagnosed with Complex and Simple Partial Seizure Disorder, White Brain Matter disease, CSVD, …

Last reply
  • Refusing to drink

First of all, let me tell you that english is not  native languague, so excuse me for any errors. My problem is with my 89 years old Mom. she has dementia, as far as I know in latest stage, she does not speak, not able to eat solid food, and no mobility at all. Hydration has always been a …

Last reply
  • Nursing home Abuse and Neglect

My father is currently in a Nursing facility in Texas. I reported several times to the Director of Nursing as well as the Administrator that my dad has not been getting some of his medications as well as he has Diabetes and a list of other health problems. When I see a problem with my …

Last reply
  • Refusing to drink

First of all, let me tell you that english is not  my native languague, so excuse me for any errors you may find My problem is with my 89 years old Mom. she has dementia, as far as I know in the latest stage, does not speak, not able to eat solid food, and no mobility at all. Hydration has …

Last reply
  • I have FTD

I am a 50 year old woman from Oklahoma, USA, diagnosed with FTD 2 yrs ago. Most posts I see about FTD are from caregivers. I'd like to connect with people who have the disease, to have someone to share the frustrations and fears and, yes, even the humorous aspects. Is there anyone out there?

Last reply
  • Emotional Support

My mom has dementia and it's killing me to watch her. I'm her sole caregiver and it brakes my heart not to know what to do. A home is not an option!!! I just need a bit of encouragement. How does anyone else cope with this situation? Thank you

Last reply
  • I am 13 and might be experiencing extreme memory loss

Hi there , I am an average 13 year old who goes to school everyday , but not feeling the same as others ... I am feeling great confusion in my life now and CANNOT REMEMBER things anymore how I used too . Anything from about 2-5 hours ago I cannot remember in detail , but I can remember some things …

Last reply
  • Husband has vascular dementia

I am so lost in this illness.  No Dr. has said how bad he is.  He is moody, bi-polar, verbally abusive and nasty at times.  At other times is he decent, quiet, distant, has developed a extra over the top love for animals and children.  He has always love children but this is …

Last reply
  • Misplacing things?

Hi everyone, am wondering if anyone can help me understand something that happened a couple of days ago. My husband who is 68 misplaced a bottle of rum the other night and the whole episode is driving me crazy. I was out shopping at the time and came home and found him watching t.v. enjoying   …

Last reply
  • Ativan or Risperidone

My 81 year old Mother has Dementia. She is becoming more and more negative, agitated and uncooperative. She won't change her clothes, refused to bath, has been found in the lady's room across the hall, in her bed, says people are trying to kill her and makes no sense most of the time when …

Last reply
  • HELP! I'M SCARED FOR MY MOM

Hello everyone, My mother is in her early 70s and is rather good health. She takes some medications for her acid reflux, her cholesterol, and her thyroid. She is a very active person, and is of a joyful and pleasant disposition. For the past few months, she's been complaining about recurrent …

Last reply
  • Dads Vascular cognitive impairment leaving me helpless

Hi, I’m from India and my dad was diagnosed with vascular cognitive impairment a month ago. It was a coincidental discovery as he was hospitalised due to TIA. This diagnosis in a way helped me understand the reason behind his failing memory post a heart attack he suffered 4 years ago.My moms been a …

Last reply
  • Dementia?

Have been under a lot of stress and have noticed there is some memory loss. Am currently having some tests. First ones didn’t go so well. At 57 am wondering if this is the beginning of dementia? Or can stress cause this problem?

Last reply
  • depression links to dementia?

Hi all, i read some research articles on the possible links of depression to dementia. i m trying to understand if there is really a link by asking a few question here 1/ did you have a major depressive disorder at mid age? 2/ did you become more forgetful? 3/ did you have deterioration in focus …

Last reply
  • My husband recently diagnosed with vascular dementia

My husband of 53 yrs has always been very moody, but for the last 5 years he has also been verbaly aggressive, so much so I had to leave him 6 months ago and live with my daughter. He has however just been diagnosed 4 weeks ago with vascular dementia. I now feel I should go back to him, …

Last reply
  • Memory problems (I’m scared)

Hey guys I’m only 18 & I have OCD, ADHD, Depression, Social anxiety and anxiety! My memory has never been the best even as a kid, but I feel like it’s getting worse (might just be anxiety tricking me into that) but I heard with anxiety, ocd and depression people with all of this don’t have the …

Last reply
  • Possible signs of dementia?

I`m a 45 years old male. For more then 18 month I`ve been noticing a decline io my cogniotive skills, especially when stressed. It all started in December 2014, suddenly I felt like I can`t focus anylonger proper. I felt like been in a fog, felt aggitated, nervous, constant headaches, like pressure …

Last reply
  • Brief Vision Loss?

Hello, just a follow up from my question about CJD. A lot of the symptoms have improved. I only ever get slight jerks in muscles and I can do things perfectly without much difficulty. The only issue now that has arisen happened today when my vision suddenly blacked out for a second. I noticed it …

Last reply
  • Senior Moments or normal memory loss?

I don't like coming back here, but I thought post anyway just to clarify some issues I've been having.  For the past 2 weeks I think I have been having what I think might be senior moments (mild cognitive decline), where I would seemingly forget something and then recall it. This has …

Last reply
  • Is it early signs of dementia or senior moments

Hubby is 76 quite in good health for his age. Recently I have noticed his short term memory is not so good, he forgets recent events and repetitive questions. I am concerned whether he is showing early signs of dementia but he told me he does not forget important events which are true. He does not …

Last reply
  • Dementia

I wanted to move my mom to another Dementia Care place but my aunt would not let me. The Anam Care said they would raise her rent $500 more ... I threw a fit... It is amazing how these places take $ from elders.   I haven’t seen the raise yet.???

Posted
  • Dementia, or just age related reduction in memory function?

I'm male, 71 years old, live in the UK and have been retired for some eight years, having worked in many overseas countries and in the UK in fairly high-stress positions in Engineering. ​There is Alzheimers disease in my mothers family and Parkinsons disease in the male family side.  In …

Last reply
  • Galantamine/donepezil etc. Do they help all people with dementia?

I was wondering what people thought about the medications commonly given to people with dementia. I know these medications do help quite a lot of people. My question is also about when to stop giving them. Are some meds better than others in different kinds of dementia? What improvements did …

Last reply
  • Would an antidepressant help?

Hi all, I'm just wondering if anybody can shed light on what is happening with my dad. He was hospitalised 10 weeks ago with a severe water infection and, as usual, the infection led to delirium. Dad has been home now for 2 months and he's still having regular panic attacks where he feels …

Last reply
  • Would an antidepressant be helpful

Hi all, I'm just wondering if anybody can shed light on what is happening with my dad. He was hospitalised 10 weeks ago with a severe water infection and, as usual, the infection led to delirium. Dad has been home now for 2 months and he's still having regular panic attacks where he feels …

Posted
  • What do we do when a carer isn't any good?

Often, when we have a relative with dementia, we end up having to employ carers. I would like to know what others have done when the carer turns out to be far less good than they seemed to be at interview. I've been in the position of having to let a carer go and take over the caring myself ( …

Posted
  • Dementia as a Terminal Illness

I was wondering how many people, on receiving the news that their loved one has dementia, is told that it is a terminal illness? It strikes me that a good many people still think that it 'just' means an elderly person who forgets things. More education of GPs would help. People need to …

Last reply
  • I'm finished?

So, after the doctor visit today, I went out to Gorey and something weird happened both in the town and during the late evening. Essentially, my left leg was weaker in comparison to my right leg and the left side of my face felt strange as well, particularly below the eye. The top of my head also …

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.