Skip to content
Ad

Dementia

Also known as Memory Loss

All discussions in this group

Next
  • Is it early signs of dementia or senior moments

Hubby is 76 quite in good health for his age. Recently I have noticed his short term memory is not so good, he forgets recent events and repetitive questions. I am concerned whether he is showing early signs of dementia but he told me he does not forget important events which are true. He does not think...

Last reply
  • Dementia?

Have been under a lot of stress and have noticed there is some memory loss. Am currently having some tests. First ones didn’t go so well. At 57 am wondering if this is the beginning of dementia? Or can stress cause this problem?

Last reply
  • Senior Moments or normal memory loss?

I don't like coming back here, but I thought post anyway just to clarify some issues I've been having.  For the past 2 weeks I think I have been having what I think might be senior moments (mild cognitive decline), where I would seemingly forget something and then recall it. This has been...

Last reply
  • Dementia

I wanted to move my mom to another Dementia Care place but my aunt would not let me. The Anam Care said they would raise her rent $500 more ... I threw a fit... It is amazing how these places take $ from elders.   I haven’t seen the raise yet.???

Posted
  • Dementia, or just age related reduction in memory function?

I'm male, 71 years old, live in the UK and have been retired for some eight years, having worked in many overseas countries and in the UK in fairly high-stress positions in Engineering. ​There is Alzheimers disease in my mothers family and Parkinsons disease in the male family side.  In my...

Last reply
  • I have FTD

I am a 50 year old woman from Oklahoma, USA, diagnosed with FTD 2 yrs ago. Most posts I see about FTD are from caregivers. I'd like to connect with people who have the disease, to have someone to share the frustrations and fears and, yes, even the humorous aspects. Is there anyone out there?

Last reply
  • Galantamine/donepezil etc. Do they help all people with dementia?

I was wondering what people thought about the medications commonly given to people with dementia. I know these medications do help quite a lot of people. My question is also about when to stop giving them. Are some meds better than others in different kinds of dementia? What improvements did people...

Last reply
  • Would an antidepressant help?

Hi all, I'm just wondering if anybody can shed light on what is happening with my dad. He was hospitalised 10 weeks ago with a severe water infection and, as usual, the infection led to delirium. Dad has been home now for 2 months and he's still having regular panic attacks where he feels like...

Last reply
  • Would an antidepressant be helpful

Hi all, I'm just wondering if anybody can shed light on what is happening with my dad. He was hospitalised 10 weeks ago with a severe water infection and, as usual, the infection led to delirium. Dad has been home now for 2 months and he's still having regular panic attacks where he feels like...

Posted
  • What do we do when a carer isn't any good?

Often, when we have a relative with dementia, we end up having to employ carers. I would like to know what others have done when the carer turns out to be far less good than they seemed to be at interview. I've been in the position of having to let a carer go and take over the caring myself (yet...

Posted
  • Dementia as a Terminal Illness

I was wondering how many people, on receiving the news that their loved one has dementia, is told that it is a terminal illness? It strikes me that a good many people still think that it 'just' means an elderly person who forgets things. More education of GPs would help. People need to come...

Last reply
  • I'm finished?

So, after the doctor visit today, I went out to Gorey and something weird happened both in the town and during the late evening. Essentially, my left leg was weaker in comparison to my right leg and the left side of my face felt strange as well, particularly below the eye. The top of my head also feels...

Last reply
  • Brief Vision Loss?

Hello, just a follow up from my question about CJD. A lot of the symptoms have improved. I only ever get slight jerks in muscles and I can do things perfectly without much difficulty. The only issue now that has arisen happened today when my vision suddenly blacked out for a second. I noticed it when...

Last reply
  • Minor Twitch in thumb has me worried

Hello. Yesterday, my thumb was twitching without my input, and now I am anxious that I have CJD as I also had pins and needles for a brief moment in my hand (hadn't had any other tingling sensation since yesterday).  So far, nothing has really changed apart from feeling very anxious due to...

Last reply
  • Brain feels like it has a 'mental block' / slowed thoughts

Hi there I've been recently experiencing more frequent 'attacks' (for want of a better word), whereby I'll be thinking something and my thoughts slow down in the process. They will often slow down so much that it will feel like I am thinking and wading through treacle with the thoughts...

Last reply
  • my memory is blank after weight loss...help me

hi . i am male . 24 years old 3 years ago I got 5 months to 30 kg weight with a low carb diet after that i feel my memory and concentrate has become a serious problem my memory was gone after that i went to the Psychiatrist. i have taking meds for 3 years .but My memory is getting...

Last reply
  • HAVING NO MEMORY OF SOMETHING!

So, last night, apparently I allowed my brother to take my phone charger and I have absolutely no memory of it! I also moved my phone and I also have no memory of that either. I questioned them as to where it was and they told me that I let them take it. I'm really scared, this has never happened...

Last reply
  • Vascular dementia

My mum has vascular dementia for 6 years now she has been on dementia tablets for 6 years and now just been put on tablets they use to stop smoking aparantly it makes your makes the mind  more sharper (she dose not smoke ) it takes a month to get into the system she only started 3days ago is anyone...

Last reply
  • MS RRM, severe memory problems, cooking is a problem.

My MS effects my memory to the point that cooking meals is a problem, I forget that I'm cooking. Sometimes when I go to use the bathroom or if the dog distracts me. Sometimes I leave the gas stove on. I am worried I will cause a fire. I never cook if no one is home but now my friend, my roommate...

Last reply
  • Too much sleep.

Iam feeling sleepy all the time finding it really hard to deal with but do not know how to deal with it.

Last reply
  • mum

hi my mum has dementia and is quite bad with her short term memory the problem i have is with my 2 brothers that don,t think any things wrong with her as they do not see her every day like i do and it doesnt help when she is telling them that i am demanding money off her and telling all the neighbours...

Last reply
  • Capacity and MMSE.

My mother, aged 96 was at home until just before she died. Blind, deaf, incontinent, cancer....unable to recognise her home or locate her bedroom. Broken arm and Broken neck , at High Falls Risk......... " must be supervised at all times when standing" Acute and chronic confusion and known...

Last reply
  • Scarred I'm losing my memory

This past month I have been very forgetful. I don't know how to describe if but it's like my mind will go blank and I won't remember soemthign I was going to do or something I was going to say. It feels it's happening more often now then before. I suffer from anxiety to so I don't...

Last reply
  • My Technology Idea for Dementia patients

I'm studying at University and our current brief is to make any digital product, so I'd like to make a tablet that: Has a 'sleep mode' screen that shows the Day, date, time and year. The tablet vocally tells you this every hour on the hour. The background changes with the time of day...

Posted
  • Really fed up of dad being in hospital

Just a wee thought, my dad has been in hospital for a few weeks and has been diagnosed with dementia, we are waiting on him being discharged and placed in a care home, he's no too good. dunno how hospital, care etc works but forecast for a good day weather wise tomorrow and was wondering as he is...

Last reply
  • Early onset Alzheimer's???

I am male almost 62 years old I find I cvan't rember dates and times of things I have to do. I like in Plymouth Devon UK what advice can anyone give please? Neville

Last reply
  • Advice needed please

My husband showed signs of memory problems and had a memory assessment at the memory clinic. He did very well and the nurse said it may just be mild cognitive problems. The consultant has checked hubbys CT scan and suggested hubby has an MRI scan as the CT scan wasnt clear so he couldnt make a diagnosis...

Last reply
  • How should I be feeling?

My lovely Dad is 88 years old and for the past 3 years has been suffering from dementia. My Mum is 85 and has finally admitted that she cannot cope with Dad anymore and with the help of my family (I am one of 3 sisters) made the heartbreaking decision to have him placed in a care home where his needs...

Last reply
Next

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.