Tested too early?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am concerned I have some form of dementia-specifically Primary Progressive Aphasia. I'm a 37 y/o female. Onset symptoms at age 35 was word finding difficulties and short term memory loss. My MRI at the time symptoms started was normal. Did neuropsych cognitive testing a year ago, and except for a few minor cognitive inefficiencies(low visuospatial) no evidence of neurodegenerative processes. Trouble is, the symptoms are persisting and now issues with misspelling words and occasionally garbling a word are starting. Still having difficulty word finding which is now on a daily basis. Could not remember the word "prosciutto" or "skylight" during some conversations. I felt dumb. I can't remember people's names or faces either.

Could I have been tested too early as my symptoms seemed much more mild a year ago? They only did a few language based tests such as Boston Naming test and the one where you say a bunch of words that start with letter "S"" etc.

Thanks!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Paula,

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I certainly can not give you and definitive answers, but what I do know from my own experience, is the fact that you are aware of it is a good sign.

I'm very much in the belief that what we do in our daily lives has an impact on our bodies and of course our brains. It all comes down to the same things, diet, exercise and keeping the brain active. Of course stress seems to be a major problem. The more we worry, the worse things get, or that is the case with me. Telling you to get a grip, is just not going to do it.

If there is a particular time when this becomes a problem, then change it if you can.

I found that the more I was expecting something to happen, with me it was finding the right words, appointments were my main concern, just became a nightmare. With my family, it didn't happen, or not that much.

When did you first notice and what was the situation?

Try and stay positive... there is a good chance that you can make a difference!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.