I am 13 and might be experiencing extreme memory loss

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi there ,

I am an average 13 year old who goes to school everyday , but not feeling the same as others ... I am feeling great confusion in my life now and CANNOT REMEMBER things anymore how I used too . Anything from about 2-5 hours ago I cannot remember in detail , but I can remember some things like going to class but nothing that we learned . So pretty much I can only remember things I have done for years as in going to church ... I have gone to the doctor for a physical before and brought up my memory and I barely was able to remember that I have memory issues at that time ,but she said mostly old people have that so I just stopped worry about it . Now It has gotten so bad that it has just destroyed my life (my grades/school) . I have been embarrassed and have been called out that I now have bad decision making , mood swings , and easy irritation . So I quickly jumped on my computer to write this discussion before I forget everything , I am very scared and wonder what to do ... 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Elijah,

Your doctor was right - it definitely won't be dementia, so that's not something you need to worry about. It does sound to me like a slightly extreme version of normal teenage problems. Your brain plays all kinds of tricks on you when it's morphing from its childhood to adult form, and anxiety can cause memory lapses too.

However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go back and see your doctor about this. Since you've written down your concerns in your post, why not print it out and show it to her so you won't forget what your symptoms are this time? It might help to keep a note of important events each day too, and of course you need to speak to your parents about this.

I'm sure this is just a worse-than-usual form of perfectly normal teenage anxiety that you'll grow out of, but best to get yourself checked out anyway, if only to allay your fears.

• Posted

hi elijah80598. First of all you must go to a doctor, a neurologist to be more specific, your problem can be for many things, lack of oxygenation to the brain, maybe you gave yourself a blow as a child and now you suffer the consequences, or do not know, many things, but only the doctor will know how to say it perfectly, do not forget about that, go to the doctor and clear your doubts. I hope it helps you.
  • Posted

Yes Elijah you should go to a doctor and have yourself checked. They are only ones who would know what might be causing those problems of yours and they would know how to possibly cure it or reduce the occurrence of symptoms.
  • Posted

Sorry for the late reply. How are you doing now? Do you still experience memory loss until now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.