Poss dementia in dad, ACE III test /b12/blood pressure

Posted , 1 user is following.

My dad has not been himself for probably a couple of years now. It was very gradual, so it took some time before we were able really realise the changes. He has always been prone to nodding off easily but this started to increase, even within a minute of him sitting down, he'd be off with his mouth hanging open.

He started to seem a little more vacant, and have more off moments staring off and not seeming very with it. He reported some light-headedness and fatigue and it was put down to getting older etc. (He's 71).

Eventually he was persuaded to go to the doctor as he'd started to seem absent minded. He had bloods and urine tested and was found to have low B12, folate and low BP which he was on meds for high BP. Dr stopped the BP meds immediately and got him sorted with B12 and folate supplements which gave a marked improvement so we all sighed a sigh of relief. His BP and levels were 'fixed' it seemed though he was still not the same as before but we thought initially he just needed time to recover.

Fast forward to recent months, his initial improvement went back to square one, however he's been retested and his B12 and folate are find, but his BP had gone very low again, so he's been taken off another prostate med which can sometimes have low BP as a side-effect. I've also read about links between prostate meds and dementia and the possibility it may unmask it sooner.

He had a brain scan and was shown to have some small vessel disease but the doctor said it was very common in people his age. He also got tested at a memory clinic and has scored 70/100 on the ACE III test, for which I believe a score below 80 is indicative of dementia.

He's vary variable, some days appears ok, other days he's got low level confusion, e.g. I'm buying my first house and he was telling me to make sure I got paid etc... his gait has changed, he doesn't lift his feet as much as he should and he stoops a bit too. When he falls asleep with his mouth open he drools on himself. It's very hard to watch especially as I think my mum struggles to be patient with him where his reactions and processing has slowed significantly. He told me he struggles a bit now with knowing the day/date and wanted to change his watch to a digital watch which has all of this information on it.

Other times he can recall things in great detail that we don't remember or expect him to. He's still cracking lots of jokes as normal, but his connections in conversations have become more abstract, yet the connection is still there so not like he's just saying something random.

I just don't know what else it could be. He has an appointment with the consultant as a result of his memory test.

He's also on aspirin, Tamsulosin, Dutasteride, Tropsium Chloride and laxatives.

Does anyone have any wisdom or similar experiences that may help?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.