16 year old scared of colon cancer

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 16 year old girl with extreme health anxiety that's gotten herself worked up about colon cancer.

I've had chronic constipation for several years now. I'm hardly ever not constipated. I haven't really thought about it much or been that concerned about it (I had assumed it might've been from my eating habits which probably aren't the best and I need to fix), but a couple of years ago my grandmother on my dad's side died of colon cancer, and now I'm kind of concerned about it.

Yesterday I had a stool that was oddly narrow- Not super super thin but not full-sized either, and that's gotten me really freaked out. I also have some uncomfortableness in my abdominal region sometimes that I had chalked up to the constipation.

I've never had any blood in my stools, haven't lost a ton of weight as far as I know and haven't lost my appetite though sometimes I do get full kind of quickly sometimes.

Should I be concerned? Is there any reason to think I might have colon cancer? Or am I just working myself up over nothing? I could really use some advice.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

One your too young too have that and you have too have a family history of that I know my aunt had that an d I would have had it if I did not get the colon surgery too remove half of my colon no bag either. Have your parent call your doctor and address your concerns with the doctor your worrying probably about nothing on this your too young for a colonoscopy you now have to be in your 40's to get that . There are other tests they can do.on you too see for sure ok so easy your mind.

• Posted

As I said in the post, my grandmother on my dad's side died a few years ago from colon cancer, so I do have someone in my family that's had it.

I'm aware that it's extremely rare for someone my age to have colon cancer, but the paranoid side of my brain won't let me accept that. 😕

I want to get a doctor's appointment for many reasons but my parents (my mom specifically I guess) keep putting it off. I think it's because of our money situation and just the amount of stressful stuff that's going on in our life rn.

• Posted

Putting it off thats neglect I did see you post that about your grandmother I dont have the cancer gene however for colon cancer but can still get poylps. The signs of it black tarry stools bleeding also in the stools but you need a second opinion on that your parents need too have it checked out there are programs out there if they cant afford too pay the bill though. Hope everything is ok .

• Posted

I should specify my parents don't actually know about me worrying about colon cancer. I haven't wanted to bring it up to them because I know it's extremely unlikely in my age and I probably shouldn't be worrying about it anyway.

We have a LOT of stuff going on in our life right now and I can assure you it's not intentional neglect. I'd rather not go into detail about everything but as far as my parents know there's nothing extremely pressing that's wrong with me that would warrant getting a doctor's appointment right away.

I have told them I wanted one but haven't gone into detail with them about all the stuff going on with me (some/a lot of it is unrelated to the colon cancer worry and most of the symptoms I was concerned about before could very well straightup be from the anxiety from stuff I've seen online).

• Posted

It does say online of you had it more than 4 weeks you better get it checked do you feel any pain or discomfort or diarrhea and or constipation goes along with colon cancer having alot of gas does also you will.know feeling sock thats what I felt when they found that poylp in my colon just yuck feeling I cried and was scared and once they done all that and they even checked my lymph nodes no cancer no where made me so very relieved so I cam relate I never had any kind of bleeding though it was weird I guess. I would just see what happens and if.your having any other issues related too what i said then go get it checked out ok.

• Posted

Okay. Do you still think it's unlikely to be cancer? Apparently chronic constipation can be caused by anxiety as well which I have had for quite some time. I don't feel generally sick or anything like that.

I will try and see about getting it checked out as soon as possible, I need to talk to my parents again about getting me a checkup but I haven't been wanting to bother them with what's probably just my mind being stupid again.

• Posted

If your having any kind of symptoms that needs to.looked into if your not then its just aniexty issues it could be something else could be a possibility it might be acid reflux that does cause constipation as well. Do you throw back up in your throat if so that's acid reflux I have that there is medicine for that too. What kind of symptoms are you having if its only the constipation i t may not even be cancer is what I am saying?

• Posted

Oh I 100% have acid reflux. I had no idea that could cause constipation. I've said already I haven't had any blood in my stools, weight loss, or anything like that. I occasionally have loose stools too though. I have gas but I assumed that was from the constipation.

• Posted

Yes acid reflux does cause constipation if your not on medicine for that you can get that over the counter too if your doctor did not prescribe that. Too me it does not sound like you have colon cancer though.

• Posted

Thank you so much! I've started to get a little less concerned about it now. I also just started my period so that may be the reasoning for it maybe getting worse a bit. (and the hormones might be the reason my anxiety has skyrocketed too lol).

I'll certainly try and talk to my doctor about the acid reflux too whenever I get an appointment. Although there's a LOT of things I need to talk to him about so who knows what I'll be able to get to.

• Posted

Your Welcome and good luck to you keep us all updated on what happens ok. If you go see your doctor lets us all know what he or she says ok

• Posted

No reason to be concerned. Constipation can be caused by so many things other than colon cancer. You should only be concerned when you see blood in your stools, at your age. But even then, it can be something other than colon cancer. IBD, for example. My brother got Crohns Disease when he was 16 years old, and even his symptoms were more severe than just some odd stools and constipation. As someone got it in your family, it's important to do a colonoscopy every 10 years once you become an adult. Colon cancer takes plenty of years to develop. Go to the doctor if your health anxiety gets bad, but there is really nothing to worry about.

• Posted

Thank you!! I'm honestly aware that it's extremely unlikely for a 16 year old to end up with colon cancer, but it does happen in rare occasions so it's hard for me to completely let go of the idea. As I said in the title I have extreme health anxiety and it's really been causing me issues lately. Seems like as soon as one thing stops worrying me another thing comes right along behind it.

I have another question though. (Warning for somewhat graphic details???) A lot of times my stool is like darker in some places than others. It's not black, just a darker brown. I assume that's not blood, right?? I tried googling it (which is a bad idea don't do that) and all I found was posts about black specks not darker brown patches.

I always just assumed that was normal but now I've started thinking too much into it I guess. Shrug

• Posted

That's normal. Most likely just diet causing random or weird colors. Happens to me too and I sure don't have colon cancer. Most people identify blood in the stool after wiping and seeing blood on the toilet paper.

• Posted

Okay! I didn't really think it was blood, glad to know that for sure, Lol. Thank you again!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.