16 year old with Chondromalacia of the Patella (Stage 4)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with the probability of stage 4 (Hopefully stage 3) for the chondromalacia of the patella of both my knees. I am an active person, I was a national level swimmer before this. I have been to multiple physiotherapies and even tried the hyaluronic injection. I really can't swim anymore (Because the turns really hurt when i have to go faster) and I want to get back in the pool. I really, really need help. Thank you smile

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

See a ortho surgeon. I can quarantee he will have a solution for you. Especially exercises and treatments to strengthen the knee. It is so painful. 

Dont give up finding a solution. I wear a custom knee brace designed to do anything in. Don't give up your fav things work around them and find what works for you!

• Posted

He recommended Arthroscopy but even that doesnt have a very high success rate. I do excerices at home but again I am 16 and I don't know why it suddenly happened to me. ANother ting, is this life long??

• Posted

Ask for Physio. It helped realign my knee with exercises. I wing and antiinflammatories and rest. It will get better with time mad proper exercises there are some great one on you tube.

Physiotherapy  improving the strength of the muscles around the knee will ease the stress on the knee. Also, specific exercises may help to correct problems with alignment and muscle balance around the knee. For example, you may be taught to do exercises which strengthen the inner side of the quadriceps muscle. Also a knee brace will help keep the muscles and cap aligned until they are strengthened thry therapy. Walking in the water is good foe the knee and knee bends. Try some of the water exercises designed for this purpose. It's resistance in water and no pain gentle on knee. 

• Posted

I have been doing physio and excerises at my home( everyday) from the last 3 months. Shouldn't I have seen any improvements- i feel like it just keeps getting worse and worse

• Posted

Have it removed. It will not affect your ability to perform in any sport.  It will not impede your day to day whatevers.  For a while you will not be able to kneel, but once everything has healed and settled down you will be able to do that as well.

I had it done years and years ago and, although the knee looks a bit weird (no knobbly bit). It does not affect the rest of your knee as it is only connected via tissues which the surgeon will tighten accordingly (Twisting in the pool will be a no-no until everything has stablised)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.