16 years

Posted , 1 user is following.

i am a 49year old female.about 16-17 years ago i complained of a pain as i thought starting in my hip. the sensation was similar to going over on your ankle. pain lasting approx 20 minutes or so accompanied by limping which lasted about the same length of time. it happened quite frequently and was worring as there was no warning.anyhow i was refered to neurology and the doctor concluded that i had a strange story.much to my annoyance and frustration. yes i could do all the text book exercises and returned to work with this happening again and again.over the years and three heart attacks later i still had the pain only it came more often and stayed longer. iseemed to have it more around the same time as a monthly period so i thought maybe a gynae problem. after my daughter died 4 years ago i returned to work mainly to keep my sanity but had to undergo another heart surgery then went back to work.this time menopause took over and the hip and leg pain has never left me its like watching evolution begin every morning then i work full-time and limp around work its that bad i am even imitated by other staff around the store.so after all these years of going to hospital and constant complaints to my g.p that something was not right i get an m.r.i scan that shows ihave a very large prolapsed disc at the base of my spine and that my only option is surgery or eventually lose the power of my legs.easy answer-not really what about my heart problems- last surgery 2 yrs ago. what is the success rate of such an operation. i live on my own. i have neck problems my c5,6,7 discs in my neck were damaged receiving cardiac arrest in 1994. i think the only thing i have left is a sense of humour.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi mh,

I am so sorry to read of your story. Do they think you have had this prolapsed disc all this time?? Surgery is a big decision for anybody because there are no guarantees that everything will be okay post surgery, but with previous heart issues to contend with it must be an even bigger decision. Before the surgery they do a pre-op assessment which is basically to check that you are fit for the anaesthetic, that includes an ECG which would give a good picture of your overall health. It also involves checking your blood pressure, a blood test, MRI swab etc. I found that quite reassuring, if only because I hadn't had any sort of medical check up for years. But in your case I'm guessing that more checks will be needed. If the spinal surgery is to be done at the hospital where you had your heart treatment at least they will have all of your notes. Could the surgeon liaise with the cardiologist, to give you a combined care?? Hospital departments aren't generally good at liaising, which is stupid as they cannot then provide all round intergrated service. I am a case in point. Since last February I have had 46 hospital appointments and my 'care' has been spread over four hospitals, none of whom liaise. They all know about each other, because I make a point of telling them but they just don't seem interested. Anyway, sorry I'm getting off the point!!! One thing we do have in common is being 49.....pushing 50. Yuck!!! And I hate the thought that I am falling to pieces!!! Maybe that should be.....have fallen to pieces :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best wishes

TFU

• Posted

dear tfu , hospitals dont liase that would be too easy. i have found some, only some of those consultants too arrogant to confer.in 2001 i had a little girl she was beautiful, only i had an elective section they cut my bladder in the section, but something else went wrong for more doctors were called to the table. i was awake. after the birth my little girl who was so active in the womb did nothing when born. for two days i waited then i told the doctors that my little girl was not doing the usual little things that you hear babies do.alice was my first and only child. i was asked by the nursing staff was i a doctor? and telling me what a good baby i had.doctors told me i was an over protective mother. now bear in mind up till then i had suffered two heart attacks( my heart doctor is great)on the saturday of the same week whilst still in hospital i had another heart attack the doctors and nurses in the maternity unit deliberated ignoring my constant pleas for a cardiologist to be sent for, after several hours and me deteriorating i was transferred to cardiac ward in another building i was given two hours. the consultant told my sisters and my then partner that they were waiting for another attack but would not be able to save me as i had had a section.my little girl died four yrs ago at 3yrs 6months.
  • Posted

Hi mh,

It does sound like you have had a truly miserable experience at the hands of the NHS. And I know first hand that it can be so hard to trust them to ever do the right thing after everything goes wrong. Worse of all is when they don't listen. The fact is that I know my body better than any doctor ever will. I know when something isn't right. And I think that as mothers we instinctively know when something isn't right with our children too. They treat us like fools. And there is a world of difference between a quiet poorly baby and a quiet good baby. Sadly though these people don't have to live with the aftermath of the effects of their actions. I had botched surgery in December 2007 with terrible effects, but thirteen months on and I doubt that the surgeon could pick me out of a line up!!! Whereas her face is burned into my memory forever!!! In some ways the mental scars are much worse than the physical effects. I have just started seeing a Clinical Psychologist. She is actually based in a Neurosciences Pain Management Team and I think that she has got a lot more than she bargained for, but she has been great. Have you been offered any psychotherapy to help you to move on from everything that has happened. I'm guessing that it all plays on an endless loop...it certainly does for me. And all the time I'm going round in circles I can't move forward.

I am so sorry that you lost your only child and now here you are with another life changing situation (back surgery) in front of you. If you get on well with your heart doctor, could you not try to get an early appointment to see him to talk things through? To me it would seem irresponsible the hospital considering spinal surgery and not liaising with him. And if I have learned one thing it is that with the NHS things only get done when I push for it, when I come up with the ideas and when I ask the questions. For them it is just a job, another day at \"the office\", but for us it is our whole future at stake. Don't be afraid to speak up. You will find the messages on this site, full of similar comments. Get the treatment and the care that you deserve.

Best wishes

TFU

• Posted

thanks tfu,for your kind words of support.you also have had a bad time of it and i am sorry you have and are experiancing your problems with the nhs. no i havent went to anyone in dealing with the death of my daughter except a solicitor. i went to work 2 weeks after she died, strange to a lot of people but for me she was and always will be the most precious person in my life she was beautiful in every way.my falling into depression would not have served any purpose except steal her memory or spoil the memory by maybe people remembering me had i have fell into the deprssion i was certainly feeling.i think about her every second of the day and i am as proud of her in death as i was of her in life. she has eternal life with the lord our god, she had no answering to do. what glory.the pathology notes i requested after her death raised a few questions that i cannot get answers. like that my childs subsequent health problems were caused at birth because i had a stroke during the birth. i didnt i cared for my child from birth.had. her diagnosed at 6 wks with epilepsy and cerebal palsy at 9 months.
  • Posted

hi tfu, its me again. i having been reading through the different patient experiances and i find it horrendous that the people of the u.k accept this decline of our nhs service. peoples health and recovery and their lives should not depend on costs. there are very good doctors consultants and nurses out there i know that, but there are times when arrogance and complacency are indeed a very leathal combination when dealing with individuals health issues.these doctors should listen and while many diagnosis are similiar for that complaint or illness there should always be that (what i call that extra ear) just maybe for something unusal. and its not just a case of a patient passing the text book exercises! i gave up my job yesterday walking was getting more difficult, then it was the extra pains. to say i am annoyed would be an understatement. i loved my job and the people i worked with.i will mentally and physically prepare myself for what lies ahead.it will all be very much in gods hands.speak to you soon take good care till then.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.