17 weeks post orif numbness?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am 17 weeks post surgery after badly breaking and dislocating my left ankle I have plates and screws and a tightrope. I feel like I am constantly walking on gravel with the pins and needles ankle still badly swollen. Consultant wrote after apt 2 weeks ago the "tightrope is coming out of the cortex". Have had 4physio sessions. Been referred for nerve function tests to see " how much recovery to expect".

Due to the tingling and numbness not walking properly despite being fwb for7 weeks now. Physio on hold till nerve tests done. I am worried how I am now is it. Has anyone had similar experience? Thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear about your healing & surgery, and I hear the frustration in your post. I have been thru a similar ankle issue. My ankle was fused and had taken many months of healing. 

My ankle never been 100% and not many recognize that I have nerve damage in my ankle/ foot. I have used arch supports and spring shoes to help with walking/ treatment. The spring shoes teaches walking properly ( comes with a CD),and as a result the shoes take many pounds off each step per square inch and pressure off ankle while walking. Helps me cope with less strain and daily trauma to the joint. I use a water bottle under my foot for swelling and ice pack for wrap. Ask Your doctor about spring shoes they are a helpful tool while coping  long term.

If you have access to sand to walk in, it was the best therapy after my surgery. Ask your PT if walking in water may be approved for treatment. 

Wishing you many healing blessings and it will get better. Hope the pain will subside soon.Time is a great healer! 

Good Luck!

• Posted

I cant imagine the extent of your pain. I cant imagine your  Daily Pain

Please keep in touch. . How Can I help?

• Posted

Hi Spitz Girl!

I am 11 weeks post ankle replacement surgery and I am experiencing the same symptoms as you. I am still NWB due to an incision that is taking its sweet time healing. 

My doctor tells me that once I start using the foot again, the nerves and extreme tightness will go away. I can only hope he's right. 

Hopefully, you don't have nerve damage and it's just trauma to the foot. 

Good luck and a speedy recovery. 

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies and support.

I wear sketcher air shoes with memory foam insoles and they are they are comfortable.  I think the tightrope sticking out is the area that has been sore since the plaster came off.  

I think as you all will know that you become used to the pain and I am still able to get around and went back to work this week lets just hope my walking speed improves and the limp goes.

wishing you all well in your recovery

• Posted

Hi 

Well Ive had the nerve function tests quite uncomfortable and at time painful.

Although you are not supposed to get results on the day the person who did it told me there is damage to 2 of the big nerves one is the tarsal not sure which the other one is, and he will have to go away and do the report to see how damaged they are.  He sends the report to my consultant.  I have an apt in 2 weeks has anybody else had a similar experience?

thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.