17 year old prostatitis sufferer, been suffering for two years

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am really glad to have come across this forum. Ive been suffering from this debilitating disease for over two years now, since I was 15 years old. Only recently in the last 6 months have the doctors looked into doing anything about it once it reached a point where I was stopping going to school I was in so much pain. The first course of medication I was perscribed was an antibiotic called Ofloxacin, along with paracetamol both for one month. After coming to the end of that month, I found that in the first 2 weeks symptoms were either very weak or gone entirely and I felt normal again, however they soon came back and now they are although slightly less painful than before, it is still debilitating. I was wondering if anyone could recommend medications that they have taken that seem to have worked? or any techniques or therapies that you have perhaps come across? I take up to three very very hot baths a day to try and ease the pain, but it doesnt always work and if it does work the pain usually returns in a matter of minutes. My social life, family life, school life, bascially my entire life is adversely affected by this condition and It really is sending me into a depression, I am constantly down due to the pain and the fact that It is stopping me from doing the things I want to do. I need help. I'd be really grateful for a response, thank you for reading smile

Kind Regards

Josh

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi josh I really feel your pain sorry you have to endure this at such a young age. I am 62 and have had it 4 years it's been up and down. But the last 4 months it has been like what you discribed as debilitating infact I have spent most of that 4 months in bed my prostate as had so many spasams that it has irritated my bladder and urithria to the point of soars and bleeding so on top of the normal hell I have a bladder biopsy on the 28th I wish I had come across somthing I could tell you about I have tried all kinds of herbs prostate supplements special diets and spent a lot doing it but nothing has had a lasting effect. I hope somebody finds a answer to this horrable affliction Good luck don't stop searching that's what we do
  • Posted

The 3rd urologist I went to told me that what my old urologist told me - that I have prostratis, was not true.

He recommended I read A Headache in your pelvis  - you can find more info on amazon and perhaps even your library can get it for you.

I strongly believe that the mind causing stress can cause any problem that can be muscle related as I cured my back pain by this same theory - by reading the book Healing the Back Pain by Dr David Sarno that helped my cousin. It would be a drug free way for you to take back your life Josh.

Hope this is a possible solution for you.

Bob

• Posted

I'm 28 I've had on and off problems for 3 years but only intense pain for 4 months. It comes and goes a fair bit. The anti inflammatory route is best I think for me anyway. Eat a wholesome diet with plenty of green vegetables, no chilli, no caffine, no cooked tomatoes. Don't overeat, drink water regularly but not too much at once. Quercetin, curcumin, nettle leaf, and saw palmetto should help. Alternatively, Naproxen helps me the most, you can get a prescription for that. Otherwise stay positive, it'll pass, eventually. I hope something here helps you, I understand it must be difficult, good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Josh and all other brave soles who are trying to overcome this debilitating condtition. I have spent most of the day with a pain in the rectum and now it's migrated to a burning feeling at the end of the penis(deep joy)  I have suffered for about 6mths now and when first diagnosed i had not heard of Prostatitis so had no idea how difficult this would be treat or how confused urology in general seems to be with this disease. There are 4 types of prostatitis and you need to find out which one you have if it's an infection then antibiotics could be the correct route for treatment. If not it maybe Chronic pelvic pain syndrome(CPPS) which seems to be about the muscles in the pelvic floor. Look this up and this condition opens up a whole new debate. Last week I had a Prostate Massage(another deep joy) which produced a sample that was sent to the lab and this confirmed an infection. They have given me Trimethopim so now waiting signs of improvment. It was disapointing to say the least that if took nearly 6mths to get to this point and this only came about because i changed my urologist to someone had more of an indepth understanding of prostatitis. Challange whoever is treating you to confirm infection or otherwise and this should start the correct treatment path. Good luck fella  

• Posted

You may want to look into an abcess caused by an infection:

[Prostatic abscess--diagnosis and treatment].[Article in Hebrew]

Faris G1, Metz Y, Friedman B, Appel B, Stein A.Author information

Abstract

Prostatic abscess is an uncommon condition, often difficult to discern clinically from acute prostatitis. It results from focal accumulation of pus within the prostate gland. Historically, the common infecting organisms were Neisseria gonorrheae, Staphylococcus aureus and Mycobacterium tuberculosis. However, more recently, gram negative bacteria, such as Escherichia coli, are causative species. Prostatic abscess mainly affects diabetic and immunosuppressed patients. In the past, transurethral drainage was the first choice for therapy. Today, percutaneous transperineal or transrectal drainage under transrectal sonography is the first choice for therapy because of the low risk of complication. This is a case history of 47-year old male patient who was admitted due to prostatic abscess. On admission he complained of severe dysuria and high fever lasting 10 days after antibiotic treatment for urinary tract infection. On rectal examination the prostate was enlarged and very tender. Both the CT-scan and transrectal ultrasound revealed well defined fluid collection areas compatible with an abscess in the right lobe of the prostate. Under general anesthesia and transrectal ultrasound guidance the abscess was aspirated transperineally. A 12-F drain was left for 6 days with complete remission in clinical and CT findings. Once an abscess of the prostate is diagnosed, anaerobic antimicrobial therapy should be added and transrectal or percutaneous transperineal aspiration and drainage is required. The authors consider the percutaneuos transperineal drainage to be the most effective and safest solution.

• Posted

Yes switching urologist to an expert sounds like a good idea. Also if nothing is working people with institial cystitis which is similar to prostatitis find pain and inflammatory relief through Elmiron and amitriptyline, I've heard of this working for prostatitis patients too, something to ask your urologist about maybe.
    • Posted

Hoo hoo!  This is a UK website and if you are in UK you get to see who the system says you see!  Not your choice to switch urologists though they are our "experts".

I think you have just got to carry on through the system making sure that you are not simply regarded as an "hysterical person".  Best wsihes with your quest

• Posted

I have no knowledge of your condition. However, my best wishes are with you. I hope someone helps you at the earliest

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.