17 year old pulse rate.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I am 17 and recently went to an aviation medical examiners office. He said that my pulse rate was high and that I should see a physician before getting cleared medically. I went to my physician she took my pulse and it was high again. I left the office (both the aviation medical examiner and physician) and my pulse rate shot down back to in the 70s. I tend to have a lot of anxiety going to the doctor. My question is, is this alright to have a high pulse rate at the doctor than have it come down at home? Some mentioned white coat syndrome but I was not sure about what it really was. I have had no heart palpitations at all I always feel fine and healthy never no pressure in my chest or nothing. Another thing is, without going to a doctor because my pulse rate will always be high. How can I prove that I am in good shape so I can get approved medically? Thanks for the help! 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

White coat Syndrome, you get anxious around Dr's and or medical situations. 

When you are anxious your blood pressure will shoot up into the high readings and your pulse or heartbeat will also be higher than normal.

A good Dr should be able to take note of a anxious reaction, sweating, nervous rubbing hands, foot tapping and take it into consideration.

But maybe for a aviation medicine there maybe no grey areas, your heatbeat has to be recorded as what it is, anxiety or not.

You can learn to control anxiety, maybe a appointment with a psychologist, they can teach you about why it happens in the first place, it is outside your control until you get some understanding, and then how to gain control, it is based in a very ancient part of our brains, fight or flight, imagine a sabre toothed tiger at the door of your cave, and you have to protect your family or run for your life to avoid being tiger dinner.

• Posted

Thank you for the information! I wonder if I could get a note from a physiologist they would accept my medical if he thinks that is the reason.
  • Posted

Hi Anthony, yes "white coat syndrome" is real enough, you're not the only one.  I guess the question is, how high is high?  How high was your pulse rate in the doctor's office?  70 is certainly a good rate when you're at rest.

• Posted

Doctor took it after I calmed  down a bit at the office and it was about 101. So it’s not crazy high for anxiety but sometimes at the doctor it can get near 110 but shoot right back down when I leave.
    • Posted

Even 110 doesn't sound like a real problem - 210 would be a problem!  I think they were just being safe.  Mine sometimes runs high with a little stress - or without it.  Much better now that I'm taking BP meds including beta blocker, but even so sometimes it goes high for an hour for no discernible reason.  I could take more beta blocker to hammer it down, but that's not really something I want to do.  Anyway, see if the doctors don't just shrug and give you your permits now.

• Posted

Yea 210 would be bad! Lol never really thought of medication. If they deny it this time then I will just go to a physicologist and go over it see if I can get some meds for it. Thanks for the info!
  • Posted

Anthony,

You can get a wearable heart rate monitor that tracks your heart rate the entire day.

If this shows that your pulse is normally much lower than when in the doctors office, perhaps your doctor will sign off that you are OK. 

• Posted

I have one at home and just did my daily one. Got 126/79 with 69 bpm. I might try what you said about showing my doctor and seeing if they’ll sign off on it. 
  • Posted

Anthony, please don't allow yourself to be given medication for high blood pressure without thoroughly exploring every other avenue first. It's always for life and at 17 think hard first.  Do you want to have it on your notes permanently?

I'm no doctor  of course but it sounds as though you have the white coat problem that so many of us have. 

• Posted

Yea that’s what I’m thinking. Just did it on my own machine at home and got 126/79 with 69 bpm
  • Posted

Hi mt

I would buy a BP UNIT, say from AMAZON that’s where I got mine.  

If you’re on any type of anti depressants, RAMIPRIL for high  blood pressure and say to much salt this will not help your ANXIETY 

Hope this helps 

Cheers David 

• Posted

Thanks, I actually have one at home and it reads down in the low 80s but mostly down in the 70s and high 60s. 
  • Posted

Hi

Me again 

The BP UNIT will also give you your PULSE RATE reading also sport watches and android watches and wrist monitors 

Cheers David 

• Posted

Thanks I currently have one at home and it pretty much proves to me it’s mostly anxiety. I sent off my recent visit report to the FAA to hope that they’ll accept it. My heart rate was pretty high and I couldn’t seem to get it lower than 100 ended up with a resting rate of 101. Hopefully that’s acceptable for them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.