17 year old with ringing in one ear?

Posted , 3 users are following.

It started 3 weeks ago during a cold/sinus infection that had me very congested, to the point where I would blow my nose and it would come out of my eye. It is in my right ear, and it sounds like a high pitched white noise. It is noticeable in quiet settings, so I hear it when I try to sleep at night. My parents don't seem to be concerned about it, but I feel like this is very concerning. I don't understand what would cause it, other than the cold but I'm thinking it might be more likely that I have a brain tumour as it won't go away. For some background information, I had bronchitis with ear popping issues all December and November but never ringing. And I have had a few cold/sinus issues lately. Sometimes I try to pop my ears, but either nothing happens or the ringing gets louder/ changes pitch. Do I need to immediately see a doctor? And is this likely caused by a serious issue like a tumour? I am very scared.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Nope, no need to worry. It is very common and will probably stop on its own. There is no "Cure" for it, but there are ways to manage it. smile

• Posted

Don't be afraid, you have Tinnitus, that's very common and many of us suffer from it on the Forum.

It's been brought on by all the congestion, Eustachian Tube Dysfunction etc.  Google Tinnitus and

have a read.

If your ears feel blocked ask your doctor to prescribe a Steroid Nasal Spray and use regularly, 

you may find it will help.

I've suffered this condition for 40 years and it's something I've learnt to live with.  Eventually,

the brain gets used to it....it's how your brain is determining noise....always worse at night

when everything is quite.  Don't stress about it as it will become louder and much worse.

Hope this is of some help.

Anne

• Posted

Hello again,  Hopefully not in your case, as you're young and it came on after a cold

and a lot of congestion.

Try the nasal spray to see if you get any relief.  Yours ears are probably blocked still,

that can definitely cause Tinnitus.

Are you still congested, or is it just the tinnitus you're left with ?

Anne

• Posted

I am still congested in my nose, but I can't feel anything wrong in my ears.

thank you for replying, would you suggest seeing an ENT?

• Posted

Hello,  No I wouldn't think it's necessary to see an ENT consultant, just for congestion.

Buy a decongestant tablet, or nasal spray......failing that see what your doctor says,

What country do you live in.  I'm in England and have been very congested since

December 2017.  I keep a diary of when my ears block and when my left nostril

gets blocked too.  Mainly in the Winter this happens.  Either the damp spores on

the trees, or being in-doors such a lot then it's house dust.  I damp dust every

day to try and eliminate dust, virtually impossible to keep down.

Yours could be due to allergies too.  You could also ask your doctor for antihistamine

tablets or buy them at your pharmacy.  I take a daily Citrizine, which helps me.  I

also find I get blocked up if I get too hot.

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.